Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hoka OneOne

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Tea Tree wrote: »
    Oh dear, doesnt sound good. Too much too soon? pain? or just not feel good?

Sorry, just thinking about it now.... I did a 17 mile LSR in them and the lower legs felt it a bit and then the last 10 miles of that 20 miler I mentioned. The latter run I put them on as my feet felt a bit sore and I thought the cushioning would alleviate that somewhat. To be honest I actually think they are just too much runner for me (I usually wear Lunaracers or Kinvaras) So, if you are used to wearing a more cushioned shoe then the step up shouldn't pose any real issues.... Anyway, these things are always worth a try ;):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Tea Tree

well mine just arrived. I don't think the rapa nui look just as odd as some of the other models other than the pinkness (convincing myself). Just walking around the house I can really feel the difference in cushioning and much less pressure on my my dodgy toe joint. I'll try them on a short run tomorrow and report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭munkee

Anyone who has these care to update on how they're getting on?

Just listening to this interview with a Hoka guy at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭uvox

I have the Mafate 3s and Stinson Trails. They rock! Great shoes for the high miler. The Mafates are more for distance IMO, 14 OZ. Take a big of getting use too, largely (ha) due to the clearance needed when running. However, that's something easily done.

If its maximalist shoes, then these are the ones. Great if you are susceptible to damage or are carrying some and wanting to get back into distance. Done about 1000 KM in the Mafates 3s, less in the Stinsons (largely because I am so happy with the former).

Great Outdoors in Dublin carry Hoka One One trails for men and women, btw. Or see: http://www.greatoutdoors.ie/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=Hoka&x=0&y=0

On maximalism generally: http://runnow.eu/2014/02/shoes-gear/12-facts-about-maximalist-shoes_2449

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭uvox

Update - Hoka One One is now owned by Deckers (as in Uggs). So the supply in Dublin seems a little flaky as they move over to a new supply chain management system. Not that the supply was great in Dublin to begin with.

However, I still think these shoes ROCK. I've used the Conquests, Mafate Speeds too now and they're great. If you're in the U.S. shop around in places like REI. Last Conquests I got were down from 170 bucks to 75 on a special in REI.

The only problem is they wear down fast. As the gent in Great Outdoors explained, that's the double-decker bus going around the corner effect...:)

There are other maximalist options out there too - I'd had some great success with Altra Paradigms. Zero drops, huge toe box. Cheaper than Hokas too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement