Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hoka OneOne

Options
  • 09-09-2013 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭

Any one use these runners,meant to help when recovering from Plantar Fasciitis. the trail version is the one I intend to get any advice would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

The link below is one of the better articles out there that considers both sides of the argument.

- http://www.mile27.com.au/hoka/

They seem to be getting more and more popular in Europe and also in the US. Longer trail runs like Hardrock are full of people wearing Hoka's because of the protection they offer on trails and for longer distances.

The article above also discusses how your quads will get less trashed because of the cushioning.

I think they are suitable for certain distances and terrains. I did a 100k trail run in france recently using Inov-8 trailroc 255 shoes (which i love) but wished i had more cushioning especially on the downhills. The blisters i had in the last 5 hours were agony but it's possible they were caused from my socks and not the shoes.

Snow and Rock in Dundrum stock Hoka's. It would be worth trying them on instead of just buying online.

Hope it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

They seem to be the Marmite of running shoes. You either love them or hate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Runonewon

grahamor
    Thanks very much for the information,Ive spoken to a few people and got some positive feedback about these shoes.Great to know where they can be got in Ireland ,Ill be making a trip to Dundrum at the weekend.Ive not trained 6 months due to Plantar Faciitis so need to be cautious when returning to training.
    Again thanks for the information,i really appreciate it,
    Kind Regards,

They seem to be the Marmite of running shoes. You either love them or hate them.

They dont look too pretty and seem to be going in the opposite direction to current trends,but they have a good reputation for stability my help to keep my PF at bay

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Enduro

My GF has bought 3 pairs in the last 3 months. The Imelda Marcos of the Hoka world :) Hokas are very popular with ultra runners. You see lots of American runners wearing them these days too. I haven't tried them yet myself, but I will be doing so. If you're doing very long distances there is a definite argument for using these shoes (or similar).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Enduro wrote: »
    My GF has bought 3 pairs in the last 3 months. The Imelda Marcos of the Hoka world :) Hokas are very popular with ultra runners. You see lots of American runners wearing them these days too. I haven't tried them yet myself, but I will be doing so. If you're doing very long distances there is a definite argument for using these shoes (or similar).

Yeh, saw a couple of pairs been worn up in Belfast, now that must be some bouncy experience wearing them on the track!

Their European website says the Great Outdoors stock them too - http://www.hokaoneone.eu/en/dealer-locator.html

grahamor wrote: »
    Their European website says the Great Outdoors stock them too - http://www.hokaoneone.eu/en/dealer-locator.html[/QUOTE]

Now that is interesting..... I guarantee you that if I buy a pair then meno won't be far behind :D;)

Their European website says the Great Outdoors stock them too - http://www.hokaoneone.eu/en/dealer-locator.html[/QUOTE]

Won't be in stock until the Spring... However, they can be ordered through the shop between now and then if you know what model/size you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Mrs AKW picked up a pair on trial a few weeks back and I'm still trying to get my head around them. After the past few years of "shoes are bad, barefoot is the way to be" it looks like the whole industry has turned on its head with overly cushioned yet minimalist (alignement) shoes like the Hoka being the rage.

Might just have to order a pair to see for myself :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Rogue Runner

Well.... I now have a pair of Hoka's in the collection :pac:...... Half price in Snow and Rock.... I just had to try them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭PaulieC

what is half price ? As in how much ?

PaulieC wrote: »
    what is half price ? As in how much ?

80 blips for the Stinsons.... They have Mafate 2's at 70... Restricted sizes though

Have you tried them ? €80 is a hell of a price, especially considering it's half price. Might drop in tomorrow to have a look. Do you know if they have any 9/9.5/10 ?

Have you tried them ? €80 is a hell of a price, especially considering it's half price. Might drop in tomorrow to have a look. Do you know if they have any 9/9.5/10 ?

Yeah they are expensive but quite a few reports I've read suggest they're capable of 1,000 miles plus. They have 2 types, one is a trail runner and the one I got is dual purpose. I typically wear an 8 or 8.5 but got a 9 in these. Interestingly, the Stinsons comes with standard insoles which give you a 6mm drop and also an additional set which changes them to 4mm. Not sure what other sizes they have.

I've already worn them on a 10 miler and a 3 miler.... They look like moon boots but feel good... I'm thinking of doing my 18 in them tomorrow so that may give me a better idea of how to rate them.

is this them ?

moon-boot-34945-07-07.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

or these?
    Buffalo-Platform-Shoes-Acid-Wash-Harajuku-2013-03-30-DSC4545.jpg

is this them ?

moon-boot-34945-07-07.jpg

I had a pair of them in cream when I was 11 :D

RayCun wrote: »
    or these?
    Buffalo-Platform-Shoes-Acid-Wash-Harajuku-2013-03-30-DSC4545.jpg

Runs out to buy................................;)

• Advertisement

digger2d2 wrote: »
    I had a pair of them in cream when I was 11 :D

classy.

did you do your 18 yet ? I'm heading to Dundrum today, i can feel the pull of Snow+Rock. Hopefully they'll be out of my size ��
    i did 20 yesterday in a 6-month old pair of Green Silence and they were fine. I have another pair that are not yet opened, but since they are absolutely, definitely the last ever pair I'll have, I'm reluctant to use them ��

Man, they are some funky shiznit. Unfortunately (or fortunately) they didn't have my size in the hybrid version and I couldn't justify the spend on a trail only pair.
    interestingly, the guy in the shop tried to persuade me that the trail version were not actually for trail running, which helped cement the decision not to buy.

Man, they are some funky shiznit. Unfortunately (or fortunately) they didn't have my size in the hybrid version and I couldn't justify the spend on a trail only pair.
    interestingly, the guy in the shop tried to persuade me that the trail version were not actually for trail running, which helped cement the decision not to buy.

Yeh, did 17 in them and they were grand... Manky looking though so i may keep them for recovery runs in the dark.

Manky looking though so i may keep them for recovery runs in the dark.

Or maybe do what Val Kilmer did :D

954607_545663752142784_136206042_n.jpg

Won't be long before someone is on stating that the adhesives in spray paint will break down the cushioning in the shoes rendering them useless ;):D

The link below is one of the better articles out there that considers both sides of the argument.

- http://www.mile27.com.au/hoka/

They seem to be getting more and more popular in Europe and also in the US. Longer trail runs like Hardrock are full of people wearing Hoka's because of the protection they offer on trails and for longer distances.

The article above also discusses how your quads will get less trashed because of the cushioning.

I think they are suitable for certain distances and terrains. I did a 100k trail run in france recently using Inov-8 trailroc 255 shoes (which i love) but wished i had more cushioning especially on the downhills. The blisters i had in the last 5 hours were agony but it's possible they were caused from my socks and not the shoes.

Snow and Rock in Dundrum stock Hoka's. It would be worth trying them on instead of just buying online.

Hope it helps.

Just got my Hoka one ones decided to go for stinsons I feel like a child on Xmas morning.It has to be said from the outset that they are deeply unpleasant to look at but it's like running on a pillow Great for my PF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Tea Tree

How have they been Runonewon?

I'll be getting a pair of Rapa Nui over the next week. I don't do big mileage (anymore:rolleyes:) but am hoping the extra cushioning will work some magic and allow me to ramp the mileage up a bit.
    (may be grasping at straws but worth a shot:o)

Tea Tree wrote: »
    How have they been Runonewon?

I'll be getting a pair of Rapa Nui over the next week. I don't do big mileage (anymore:rolleyes:) but am hoping the extra cushioning will work some magic and allow me to ramp the mileage up a bit.
    (may be grasping at straws but worth a shot:o)

I did half a 20 mile LSR in them and haven't had them on since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Interesting blog post on what the shoe actually looks like when it's cut in half. Surprising.

http://freakrunner.wordpress.com/2013/11/18/the-secret-i-learned-by-cutting-my-hoka-evo-stinson-running-shoes-in-half/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Tea Tree

I did half a 20 mile LSR in them and haven't had them on since.

Oh dear, doesnt sound good. Too much too soon? pain? or just not feel good?
    nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Interesting blog post on what the shoe actually looks like when it's cut in half. Surprising.

http://freakrunner.wordpress.com/2013/11/18/the-secret-i-learned-by-cutting-my-hoka-evo-stinson-running-shoes-in-half/

what a peculiar thing to do to your shoes!

Advertisement