Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pulled muscle spinning

Options
  • 27-07-2013 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭

I was spinning on Thursday and towards the end of the session I pulled my calf muscle.
    Had to get off the bike to stretch.
    Was very sore but got back on the bike and cycled very slow to try and stretch it out.
    It's still very tight today.
    Should I go back Tuesday or should I leave it for a while?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭double GG

Is it a pulled muscle and nothing something else? Doms? Ligament problems.. etc....

If a pulled muscle....How bad is it? A tiny tear to an achilles rupture- Highly unlikely but you get my point, looking for advice on here on something we aren't able to see or anything is pointless.

We don't know the ins and outs of it so we can't give any sort of advice.

I could easily tell you to run 5km, do 10, 50m sprints and your pulled muscle will be gone..... Which obviously it won't but if you were to go do this.. you get the point.

Wait a few days, see how it is and if you need go see a physio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Kerikosan

You probably pulled your calf muscle alright. Deep heat spray works wonders to loosen up the muscle and doing some light stretching/ massage and going for a walk will help mend it. I only Pulled/tore my calf muscle last week and 4 days on it was 100%

If you have trouble walking you should probably just leave this one class off let it heal and come back 100% rather than possibly lengthening the healing process.

Happy Spinning =)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

double GG wrote: »
    Is it a pulled muscle and nothing something else? Doms? Ligament problems.. etc....

If a pulled muscle....How bad is it? A tiny tear to an achilles rupture- Highly unlikely but you get my point, looking for advice on here on something we aren't able to see or anything is pointless.

We don't know the ins and outs of it so we can't give any sort of advice.

I could easily tell you to run 5km, do 10, 50m sprints and your pulled muscle will be gone..... Which obviously it won't but if you were to go do this.. you get the point.

Wait a few days, see how it is and if you need go see a physio.

Was just asking if its advisable to go back or leave it for a few days, I dont know the ins and outs and cant afford a physio this week thats why I was asking :pac:
    Kerikosan wrote: »
    You probably pulled your calf muscle alright. Deep heat spray works wonders to loosen up the muscle and doing some light stretching/ massage and going for a walk will help mend it. I only Pulled/tore my calf muscle last week and 4 days on it was 100%

If you have trouble walking you should probably just leave this one class off let it heal and come back 100% rather than possibly lengthening the healing process.

Happy Spinning =)
    Thanks for the advice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Kite Runner

Hi

I have just come back from the best part of twelve weeks rehab with a calf tear, (should have been about 6 or 7 but eagerness lead to it breaking down again) don't disregard the healing process on this. Have a look at this and decide what it is and if you need further assessment of it.
    Coming back after 4 days wasn't a tear of the gastro medial head. educate, and I am not giving you medical advice in case mods think it is. just be really careful and incorporate sets of eccentric heel drops to stretch calf through rehab.

http://www.running-physio.com/acutecalf/

http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/sport-injuries/ankle-achilles-shin-pain/calf-strain/calf-strain-rehabilitation

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Kerikosan wrote: »

Happy Spinning =)

You most certainly did not tear your calf and come back 4 days later.

OP, injuries are complex. Unless the answer was "wait until you talk to a professional" it could hurt you.

...then again if its minor, it might now. But since we don't actually know... :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Kerikosan

Hanley wrote: »
    You most certainly did not tear your calf and come back 4 days later.

Well I did say "Pulled/Tear" as I wasn't sure which but I know now it was more of a badly strained or pulled muscle as during a strength and conditioning exercise I hurt my Calf muscle bad enough to have to stop during the class. Light stretching, soft massage of my calf and rest helped allot.

Spinning is a very Fast, Hard paced Fitness class which I do myself.
    it's best if you are injured to leave it off Heal up and come back 100%

Advertisement