Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Im Only Burning 150 Calories a Day :(

Options
  • 25-07-2013 9:39pm

am I doing it wrong

I started 2 weeks ago , I don't know much about dieting but I'm eating 400 calories a day and 4 litre of water a day

I bought a treadmill and It only lets me do 1 hour & 40 minutes before stopping the time goes to 99:59 and then stops the speed the fastest I can go 5.0 and its only burning 150 calories

I see only people burning 1000 calories a day :(

for myself to do that I have to work out for hours

am I doing good what I'm doing or is it all wrong

my only goal is to lose weight as im 18 stone I would like to return to my old weight of 12 stone

Breakfeast is 3 rice cakes and a banana and 1 litre of water

and dinner is 250 calorie meal and 1 litre of water

any help would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

Tajd, I think you really need to read these threads

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055157091

It will give you a good basis for nutrition and diet.

How have you figured out that you're eating 400 calories a day? That's starvation if that is true. Maybe you meant 4000.
    To figure out how many calories you need to eat for weight loss try this calculator.
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Once you know how many calories you need for weight loss then use a calorie tracker like myfitnesspal.com (it's an app too on the phone) and enter the food you eat. You should probably weigh out your food in the beginning so you're not guessing portion size.

In terms of the exercise, forget about calories burned (treadmill won't be accurate anyway. You need a heart rate monitor to figure out what you're actually burning) for the moment and definitely forget what others are burning/doing/eating

Exercise is only a part of losing weight, diet is number one. Focus on your diet, get a little bit of exercise in everyday and your weight will look after itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Oh my god, STOP

Tajd, I think you really need to read these threads

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055157091

It will give you a good basis for nutrition and diet.

How have you figured out that you're eating 400 calories a day? That's starvation if that is true. Maybe you meant 4000.
    To figure out how many calories you need to eat for weight loss try this calculator.
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Once you know how many calories you need for weight loss then use a calorie tracker like myfitnesspal.com (it's an app too on the phone) and enter the food you eat. You should probably weigh out your food in the beginning so you're not guessing portion size.

In terms of the exercise, forget about calories burned (treadmill won't be accurate anyway. You need a heart rate monitor to figure out what you're actually burning) for the moment and definitely forget what others are burning/doing/eating

Exercise is only a part of losing weight, diet is number one. Focus on your diet, get a little bit of exercise in everyday and your weight will look after itself.

no I really meant 400 calories

all the water making me feel full

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

no I really meant 400 calories

all the water making me feel full

Who in God's name told you to eat that?!!!

Are you joking?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

In before OP dies

• Advertisement

Who in God's name told you to eat that?!!!

Are you joking?

no for my breakfast im eating 3 rice cakes and a banana and dinner is a 250 calorie meal and throughout the day im drinking 4 litres of water

im not trolling

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

no for my breakfast im eating 3 rice cakes and a banana and dinner is a 250 calorie meal and throughout the day im drinking 4 litres of water

im not trolling

You're 18 god damn stone, You will lose weight eating 2400 calories a day, and exercising, OP read the stickies at the top of the board before you do any more damage to yourself. If any of it in doesn't make sense,posters on here will be more than willing to help you understand what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

If you're measuring your calories burnt on the treadmill by it's display then you're most likely way off on what you're actually burning through exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

If you're really only eating 400cals a day, then burning off more through exercise is the least of your worries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

OP do not continue with that diet. You will do yourself serious serious harm.

You need a balanced diet, with a small calorie deficit and excercise. Use the link in the first response. A slow steady approach to weight loss is the safest and most sustainable method.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 caliwali

If you're being serious just go to a dietitian. The stickies are great but sometimes you just need to talk to a professional face to face imo. This is one of those times..

caliwali wrote: »
    If you're being serious just go to a dietitian. The stickies are great but sometimes you just need to talk to a professional face to face imo. This is one of those times..

I think I ill thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭daithi1970

You should always consult A GP before embarking on a new exercise/weight loss regime-they will be able to give you concrete expert advice on both exercise and diet.
    Best of luck,

daithi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Gualot

What you're doing isn't realistic. It may work for the short term, but definitely not for the long term; a body cannot survive off 400 calories per day, whether you're 18 stone or not.

Instead of starving yourself, work with an experienced dietitian in order to devise a realistic eating/exercise regime, one which both nourishes you, and most importantly, helps you to lose weight.

Nevertheless, you're taking the right step, and kudos for that. Best of luck and hopefully you'll see desirable results without sacrificing your immediate health.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,317 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I'm finding it very hard to believe you..

How long have you been only eating 400cal a day? Your must be feeling very lathegic

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Kairi8436

Well done for trying to get healthy but I'm afraid the way you're approaching it isn't the best. If you're only eating 400 calories a day, then obviously you wont have a lot of enery for working out and therefore you'll burn LESS calories. My advice would be to adopt a healthy diet full of fruit, vegetables, whole grains and the odd treat here and there ( we all need them!), drinking plenty of water I s a good step and I'd say cut out the processed meals as well because most of them are full of additives, salt and sugar which are not good for you and can lead to bloating. my mother has been consistently losing weight for over two years now, she has gone from 19stone to just under 13 stone by improving her lifestyle, not starving herself, The key, in my opinion, is to lose weight yes but more importantly keep it off- I mean you don't want to lose all this weight only to find yourself in the same situation a few months down the line. Your current approach might get you fast results now, but in the long run it isn't worth it. Please visit your GP or a dietician as they will be able to give you more detailed information than I can and don't be afraid to ask family and friends for support! Best of luck in the future :)

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Try 1800 cals of clean food a day, you'll be able to eat a shocking amount of food if its clean.

Aim for a 2lb loss a week for the first few weeks and then a 1-1.5lb loss after that etc..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

daithi1970 wrote: »
    You should always consult A GP before embarking on a new exercise/weight loss regime-they will be able to give you concrete expert advice on both exercise and diet.
    Best of luck,

daithi

No they won't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

daithi1970 wrote: »
    Best of luck,

daithi

You haven't met my GP so....

Advertisement