Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

good fats?

• 18-07-2013 11:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭

hi i'm 170lb' worked out i use 2700 cals a day to keep steady weight. diet 45p 35c 20f. workout five times week . want to build more muscle, tone up, lose some bodyfat . happy enough the way things are going with training but its hard to eat so much protien (i,m eating on average 250g aday not sure i need this much). was thinking of dropping to 170g and uping my fats i'm averaging 90gm of fat a day. the thing is i can't seem to get rid of this notion of fat makes you fat /(you are what you eat) was thinking of swapping to 40p. 30c. 30f. but not sure of the fats to add, i mainly eat nuts and the rest of my fats are from the protien foods. with eating low fat protiens ,carbs and fats i find i'm struggling to get the cals i need to maintain weight. any advice on this would be appreciated thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Coconut oil is the best thing ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Avocado
    Bacon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,645 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Egg with the yolk

Drizzle olive oil on any salads or mediterranean dishes you eat

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Eggs
    Almonds
    Peanut / Almond Butter
    Flaxseed oil (half a shot glass of this is ~170cals of good fat)
    If you eat a lot of tuna you could go for salmon which has ~%50 calories from fat as opposed to ~%6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

olives - cheap and yum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

1 g/kg of bodyweight should be fine for protein intake. Oily fish/ omega 3/ 100% peanut butter/ flax

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭avfc1874

where do you get coconut oil and flaxseed oil/ and how do you use them?

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

You can get flax seed oil from Holland & Barret

I just take a "shot" of it to make up my macros on days where I haven't gotten my fat from other sources.

I just put a shot glass on the scales and weigh out as much as I need

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Ronaldinho

avfc1874 wrote: »
    where do you get coconut oil and flaxseed oil/ and how do you use them?

You can get coconut oil in some Asian food stores. I got 500ml for €3.50 in a place on Parnell St. Mind you I'm not too sure about the quality because I just got some from ProteinWorks and it looks and smells a lot better. http://www.theproteinworks.com/organic-virgin-coconut-oil-1039.html Also costs a lot more though....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

Dunnes for the coconut oil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chriity139

peanut butter is a good sent for increasing good fats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 singsong321

Well, you make good food choices, but maybe try be creative with your ingredients. Perhaps for breakfast, have porridge with two eggs whisked in (high in good polyunsaturated fats), start taking flaxseed supplments, begin having homemade smoothies pre/post workout and make sure to include ingredients like peanut butter,avocadoes,bananas,coconut and buy protein snacks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭avfc1874

Zombienosh wrote: »
    Coconut oil is the best thing ever.
    my local dunnes, dosn't sell the coconut oil. but sell peanut and walnut oil are these any good

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Cuchulainn90

Marks and sparks have a really nice coconut oil, Gorgeous for frying your meats in for stir-fries and the like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

my local dunnes, dosn't sell the coconut oil. but sell peanut and walnut oil are these any good
    The 2 dunnes I go to have it, however it is not along with the other oils in the veg oil section. Its in a sort of health food section in a tub, another time I think it was near the chilli sauces.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

hi i'm 170lb' worked out i use 2700 cals a day to keep steady weight. diet 45p 35c 20f. workout five times week . want to build more muscle, tone up, lose some bodyfat . happy enough the way things are going with training but its hard to eat so much protien (i,m eating on average 250g aday not sure i need this much). was thinking of dropping to 170g and uping my fats i'm averaging 90gm of fat a day. the thing is i can't seem to get rid of this notion of fat makes you fat /(you are what you eat) was thinking of swapping to 40p. 30c. 30f. but not sure of the fats to add, i mainly eat nuts and the rest of my fats are from the protien foods. with eating low fat protiens ,carbs and fats i find i'm struggling to get the cals i need to maintain weight. any advice on this would be appreciated thanks

Your fats and protein are too high 225g protein 60g fats make up the rest of your cals with carbs ,as you plateau drop carbs by 20 and increase cardio and maybe the odd reduction in 5g fat . Do not go too low in fats (around 40g). Get as lean as you want with this here method.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

JJayoo wrote: »
    1 g/kg of bodyweight should be fine for protein intake. Oily fish/ omega 3/ 100% peanut butter/ flax

85g of protein per day?
    I'd agree with 1g/lb of body weight but 1g per kg isn't sufficient for someone who trains & lift weights.

I'd split the 2700 down into:
    35% protein - that's 248g of protein (calculating at 3.8kcals per g of protein.
    35% fat - 105g fat
    30% carbs - 203g carbs.

And begin to reduce the carbs after a few weeks if you're not seeing much progress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

dor843088 wrote: »
    Your fats and protein are too high 225g protein 60g fats make up the rest of your cals with carbs ,as you plateau drop carbs by 20 and increase cardio and maybe the odd reduction in 5g fat . Do not go too low in fats (around 40g). Get as lean as you want with this here method.

I would say opposite. More fat, less carbs. 40g of fat a day is a tiny amount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

john_cappa wrote: »

Agreed.
    Very low for the average person, never mind an active 85kg fella.

That is a minimum I gave him . Why do you suggest more fat less carbs?

• Advertisement

Agreed.
    Very low for the average person, never mind an active 85kg fella.

Exactly the average person is fat as f*ck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

85g of protein per day?
    I'd agree with 1g/lb of body weight but 1g per kg isn't sufficient for someone who trains & lift weights.

I'd split the 2700 down into:
    35% protein - that's 248g of protein (calculating at 3.8kcals per g of protein.
    35% fat - 105g fat
    30% carbs - 203g carbs.

And begin to reduce the carbs after a few weeks if you're not seeing much progress.

Sorry meant to say 1g/lb

Exactly the average person is fat as f*ck.

Are you trying to infer that the average person is fat as **** due to the amount of fat they eat?

That is a minimum I gave him . Why do you suggest more fat less carbs?

Why not? Fat is hugely important for various functions.

That minimum is crazy low. Treble it.

I have 40 grams of fat for breakfast.

Are you trying to infer that the average person is fat as **** due to the amount of fat they eat?

Its a factor for sure

Why not? Fat is hugely important for various functions.

That minimum is crazy low. Treble it.

I have 40 grams of fat for breakfast.

So you want him to eat almost half his cals in fat then? What are you basing your advice on saying 120 grams of fat ? You must be a low carber this is not optimal. Read the nutrtition stickies on bodybuilding.com or google layne nortons cutting diet and you will see the figures I gave are perfect .I dont know anyone inthe fitness industry that would recommend your 120g fat . I told him not to go below 40g as he loses the weight . My intake is 45g right now and Im very lean .

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Vinnyhughes

Hi all,

Beware of coconut oil that is not Raw and extra virgin there is cheap coconut oil on the market but it is refined oils and you get that in brands like KTC this is heated up to expand and is therefore nothing more than a vegetable oil and you should not consume this.
    The best brand I have found is Cocowel available in Dunnes and Supervalu stores nationwide €5.99 for 500ml and is Organic, Raw, Cold pressed and extra virgin.

it is refined oils and you get that in brands like KTC this is heated up to expand and is therefore nothing more than a vegetable oil and you should not consume this.
    Have you any decent links about this. I have searched before and found nothing, the only trustworthy sites were saying there is little difference. Some is hydrogenated but I never saw any where I go. Mine was not virgin and had zero trans fats

You mention KTC, which is said not to be hydrogenated, but they do say it gets rid of the few minerals.
    KTC Coconut Oil is 100% pure, refined, coconut oil. There are no other ingredients, additives or process aids in this oil.

KTC Coconut Oil is refined in exactly the same way as other, more familiar, vegetable cooking oils. Refining removes any impurities which could be present to produce an oil of the highest quality. Refining also destroys much of the vitamin content of an oil, but as coconut oil contains virtually no vitamins when freshly extracted, this does not affect the nutritional quality of the oil.

The chemistry of coconut oil is unique in that it contains medium chain triglycerides which are the building blocks of the body's immune defence and hormones produced by the thyroid gland. These fatty acids are not affected by the refining process. Nutritionally, refined coconut oil is as good for you as the cold pressed oil. Our oil is not hydrogenated at any point in its production and naturally contains less trans- fatty acids than any other vegetable, animal or marine oils.
    http://herbsgardenshealth.co.uk/KTC-100-Pure-Coconut-Oil-500ml

here is an old thread I posted that link in before http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=80180430

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Vinnyhughes

Hi. I have learnt about the process of refined foods through nutrition course I took.
    The process involved is to heat to a very high temperature above boiling and is done to expand the product and to make the oil more commercially viable.
    If you log on to www.tropical-nutrition.com this will show the production process of a raw organic cold pressed, coconut oil made in the traditional way in Thailand (its on the site cant remember exact link).
    Have you smelt the KTC coconut oil it smells like Oil try Cocowel and it smells like coconuts.
    The fact there is no hydrogenated fats in the refined oil how would that encourage you to buy this what it has removed in the heating process surely means all that is left is a vegetable oil and I wont be putting that in my smoothie any time soon?
    I am sticking to the raw coconut oil no matter what.

Kind regards
    Vinny

rubadub wrote: »
    Have you any decent links about this. I have searched before and found nothing, the only trustworthy sites were saying there is little difference. Some is hydrogenated but I never saw any where I go. Mine was not virgin and had zero trans fats

You mention KTC, which is said not to be hydrogenated, but they do say it gets rid of the few minerals.

http://herbsgardenshealth.co.uk/KTC-100-Pure-Coconut-Oil-500ml

here is an old thread I posted that link in before http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=80180430

• Advertisement

is done to expand the product
    Not sure what you mean by this "expand" and if you think its a bad thing, which you seem to infer it is. Not sure if you think it is bulked out or something, I never saw any real difference in info between them, i.e. similar kcal per 100ml. Its just oil, if they did blow bubbles into it before it set it could increase volume, I never saw this done.
    Have you smelt the KTC coconut oil it smells like Oil try Cocowel and it smells like coconuts
    I have both these brands at the moment. The refining process takes out a lot of the taste & smell, many see this as an advantage. I would have bought KTC if dunnes had it cheaper.

The fact there is no hydrogenated fats in the refined oil how would that encourage you to buy this
    It means it has not gone through hydrogenation, which no commercial oil I have seen on shelves here has apparently gone through. However go to sites selling ONLY virgin oil and you might come out thinking ALL non virgin cocount oil is hydrogenated. I was in supervalu and they were selling it and had a poster up listing its benefits, and it did blankly claim all non virgin oil would be hydrogenated.
    heating process surely means all that is left is a vegetable oil and I wont be putting that in my smoothie any time soon?
    Maybe you like the taste of coconut, you seem to use "vegetable oil" like its a dirty word/term. I have yet to have my mind changed in any way.

Here is one guy recommending refined over virgin

http://180degreehealth.com/2010/11/refined-coconut-oil

Advertisement