Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oh You Look Great...You've Lost Weight

• 22-07-2013 7:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭

I've been getting this for the last few weeks...

The fact is I've actually put on weight nearly 2kg...I've been training fairly consistently but my diet isn't great, now at the minute I'm not trying to cut...

But is it possible to put on weight but it looks like I've lost weight...Or are people just trying to be super nice to me?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 821 ✭✭✭xgtdec

presume more muscle gives a leaner look?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

xgtdec wrote: »
    presume more muscle gives a leaner look?

Certainly not that much muscle gain is possibly in such a short space of time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

Could be you just look healthier. Also might have lost some bloat in the face through hydration, improved nutrition etc.

Maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

But is it possible to put on weight but it looks like I've lost weight...Or are people just trying to be super nice to me?

The sun has you looking all sexy and they want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭whitewave

Well I say take the compliment and smile!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

whitewave wrote: »
    Well I say take the compliment and smile!

I agree.

I think Irish people in general have a problem with taking compliments.

Well done OP, you've obviously been putting in some good work. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Yep.
    somebody said to me a month ago that I'd lost a lot of weight.
    they were shocked when I told them I'm heavier than I've ever been. 82kg

The thing I don't get is some of these people last saw me when I was 74kg...now back up to 80kg(my current state at 80kg is better than my previous state at this weight)...

Just very confused:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,645 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

A japanese friend of mine once described me as being "skinny like a knacker" (5ft 11, ~70kg). I'm generally difficult to offend, but I was actually kinda hurt by that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

To be honest, stop focusing on weight. Personally, I want arms like Jason Statham and a chest like Hugh Jackman, I don't necessarily want to weigh the same as either of them because there are too many variables to do so(such as differences in height). When I lost weight last year lots of people said I appeared to have lost loads when really I just toned up a bit. As another person said, it could be a general appearance of looking healthy. Being well hydrated, getting quality sleep etc.

• Advertisement

A japanese friend of mine once described me as being "skinny like a knacker" (5ft 11, ~70kg). I'm generally difficult to offend, but I was actually kinda hurt by that.

Same height as myself and my original weight target was 70kg, but at 72kg I was getting a load of are you sick, your too skinny...Also trying to stay at 72kg was very difficult for me, I've always been heavy, like I was 86kg for my graduation(which was the lightest I'd been since I was 17) It seemed to have a subconscious effect on me, leading me to put back on a load of weight and not feel as guilty when I eat bad foods..So I've set a goal of 75kg, but a much stronger 75kg

syklops wrote: »
    To be honest, stop focusing on weight. Personally, I want arms like Jason Statham and a chest like Hugh Jackman, I don't necessarily want to weigh the same as either of them because there are too many variables to do so(such as differences in height). When I lost weight last year lots of people said I appeared to have lost loads when really I just toned up a bit. As another person said, it could be a general appearance of looking healthy. Being well hydrated, getting quality sleep etc.

Weight would be an issue for me if i want to cycle, I love cycling hills, but I do find the heavier i am the harder they are, but i do understand there is a massive difference between 70kg(16% BF) and 80kg(10% BF) for example...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Weight would be an issue for me if i want to cycle, I love cycling hills, but I do find the heavier i am the harder they are, but i do understand there is a massive difference between 70kg(16% BF) and 80kg(10% BF) for example...

more leg muscle = more power and endurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭goose06

nice_guy80 wrote: »

And gravity is stronger than legs, 80kg is a heavy cyclist for climbing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Same height as myself and my original weight target was 70kg, but at 72kg I was getting a load of are you sick, your too skinny...Also trying to stay at 72kg was very difficult for me, I've always been heavy, like I was 86kg for my graduation(which was the lightest I'd been since I was 17) It seemed to have a subconscious effect on me, leading me to put back on a load of weight and not feel as guilty when I eat bad foods..So I've set a goal of 75kg, but a much stronger 75kg

I think more often than not, the "are you sick, you're too skinny" malarky is jealousy and friends etc thinking "steady on, you're making me look/feel bad here!"... I've never been healthier in my life; lighter, stronger, fitter at 31 than I was at 21... but I do occasionally get people "expressing concern" that I'm "eating enough" and not going "overboard"... pffft, I only wish I knew how to train and eat more responsibly 10-12 years ago!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

"Have you lost weight?" or in other words a thinly veiled "Do you even lift?" the worst thing to hear when you're trying to gain :(

jugger0 wrote: »
    "Have you lost weight?" or in other words a thinly veiled "Do you even lift?" the worst thing to hear when you're trying to gain :(

To be honest, thats not a thinly veiled "Do you even lift", thats a very obvious "I can't identify what a healthy person looks like"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

nice_guy80 wrote: »

Yeah, most of the lads I know with big leg muscles are endurance runners....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

You got a tan.

Wait for the "Lay off the chips!" comments come October time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

I've been getting "Don't lose too much more now y'hear?", which is basically Irish for "You're at a healthy weight".

• Advertisement

I've been getting "Don't lose too much more now y'hear?", which is basically Irish for "You're at a healthy weight".

Or Irish for, "I just about feel good about myself with your current shape, but if you get any slimmer / more toned / hotter I'm going to feel bad about myself. So don't do it!".

Advertisement