Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Equal Marriage Referendum - Are you registered to vote?

Options
  • 02-09-2014 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40,880 ✭✭✭✭

Do you intend voting in next years equal civil marriage referendum? Well thats great - are you actually registered? You have approximately 8 weeks to do so

You can check this by going to http://www.checktheregister.ie/ and see if you're listed there.

If you are not listed you should contact your local county council immediately.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/government_in_ireland/elections_and_referenda/voting/registering_to_vote.html

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,880 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Bump - 5 weeks to get onto 2014/2015 register

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 30,271 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Have they picked a date for the referendum yet or are they still saying its in Spring?

Have they picked a date for the referendum yet or are they still saying its in Spring?

Theres no date.

As the Children and Family Relationships Bill is only starting the legislative process I would expect that to take another three of four months and then a bedding down period before a referendum in late Spring possibly even Summer

http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/PR14000257

Its possible there will be 3 or 4 other referenda on the same day

Voting at 16 and changing the President age from 35 to 21 I think

Terry Pratchet

By the way

Could everyone use their social media pages to also ask friends to make they are registered by November 1st.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

There's nearly always ways to get on the supplementary register after this cut off date. So if some of your friends miss the date it's not the end of the world.

• Advertisement

There's nearly always ways to get on the supplementary register after this cut off date. So if some of your friends miss the date it's not the end of the world.

Of course but its easier to get onto the main register

To get onto the main register sign a form and post it to the county council

To get onto the supplementary - sign a form, go to the garda station, get it signed by them, post it to co co

GLEN and ICCL and Marriage Equality are working together. They want to encourage registration NOW not in 6 months time.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Stoneyfaced

Hi there

I work on the elections and without exception ten or so people turn up on every single polling day who aren't registered to vote.

They always throw a strop, insist that they've always voted at this polling station then demand the telephone number of the sheriff's office to complain about the incompetency of the polling staff!

If you're not on the register you can't vote and no amount of excuses, threats or abuse can change that.

Thank you for starting this post.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭Daith

I'll share on FB but would be nice if there was template or post from GLEN or something to share.

Thanks for bringing this up!

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

I can vote but I know someone who can't and the registration page on the website isn't working.

20rsqkg.png

2433yn6.png

Daith wrote: »
    I'll share on FB but would be nice if there was template or post from GLEN or something to share.

Thanks for bringing this up!

Marriage Equality has posters you can share https://m.facebook.com/marriagequality

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

PeteK* wrote: »
    I can vote but I know someone who can't and the registration page on the website isn't working.

20rsqkg.png

2433yn6.png

http://www.dublincity.ie/onlinevotersregistration/

http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-your-council/register-vote

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Is there any way to register without going through snail mail? Lile either online or even in person (assuming it's not in an out of the way location)? DLR btw.

Aard wrote: »
    Is there any way to register without going through snail mail? Lile either online or even in person (assuming it's not in an out of the way location)? DLR btw.

I presume you could just turn up at the DLR offices with a form.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Thanks. It's nonsense that you can't register online. Especially considering that so many students live away from home for most of the year, and that students/young people tend to be the ones in need of registering.

Aard wrote: »
    Thanks. It's nonsense that you can't register online. Especially considering that so many students live away from home for most of the year, and that students/young people tend to be the ones in need of registering.

This is going to be a major thing. You have students (or young people in general) who aren't registered and may not be bothered to and even then they need to get back home to actually vote.

Daith wrote: »
    This is going to be a major thing. You have students (or young people in general) who aren't registered and may not be bothered to and even then they need to get back home to actually vote.

Thats why we all need to ask any young people we know to register. USI and Belong To are doing a lot of work on this.

Terry Pratchet

Marriage Equality and GLEN and ICCL are running a joint voter registration campaign. Please like this facebook page and suggest it to friends too

http://www.facebook.com/yesequality

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Uncle Ruckus

No but I reckon it will pass by 70-80%.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

Thanks for the prompt, moved house & county, keep forgetting to go to post office to pick up a form, should be online registration, would have done it if it could be done,

But thanks, off work weds, will sort it then,

No but I reckon it will pass by 70-80%.

There is absolutely no room for complacency. It's possible that it will pass by that margin but only if all supporters work hard for it and turnout to vote and dont make assumptions.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Jasnah

Does registration lapse after a certain period? I'm no longer on Dublin's list it seems (or else they can't find me). Unsure whether to send a change of address form (I've moved) or what…

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Jasnah wrote: »
    Does registration lapse after a certain period? I'm no longer on Dublin's list it seems (or else they can't find me). Unsure whether to send a change of address form (I've moved) or what…

Yes, not that theres a defined period. I bought my house two years ago after it was empty for maybe another two and I still get polling cards for a previous tenant. Each local authority varies.

Jasnah wrote: »
    Local authorities do things differently. The best thing to do is get an rfa form from your local authority where you vote or online and send it in

https://www.checktheregister.ie/PublicPages/AppForms.aspx

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭PeterJC!

When is the latest I can register by? Hoping to do it over midterm..

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

PeterJC! wrote: »

End of the month I believe.

You can go on the supplementary register until a few weeks before the referendum but that requires going to a Garda station which is a little awkward.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Does anyone know the procedure if you are due to turn 18 in 2015? Do you register now?

PeterJC! wrote: »

25th November is the cut off date. You can register after that but it gets more difficult.

Terry Pratchet

eviltwin wrote: »
    Does anyone know the procedure if you are due to turn 18 in 2015? Do you register now?

It depends. When does the person turn 18?

If the person is 18 before Feb 15th they can register now.

If the person is 18 after Feb 15th they would have to wait and go onto the supplementary register.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 13,073 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Given the lack of clarity on the date of the referendum, why are they putting out a deadline for people to register?

• Advertisement

Given the lack of clarity on the date of the referendum, why are they putting out a deadline for people to register?

Well the assumption is that it will be Spring 2015. It's important to get people to register because apathy either to register or to vote is what will kill this referendum.

Advertisement