Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I need stove advice please

Options
  • 09-09-2013 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Help looking to fit a multi fuel stove with back boiler into our current fireplace but font know what size or type to buy .
    Can't afford to spend a large amount so hoping for a good price stove
    We are in a 3 bed semi detached house with 8 radiators ( some old not double type )

We had a plumber here this week who said a figure of 10,000 kw bts is what we need ???? What does this mean , our house is not particularly large but we do have open plan sitting room & a conservatory extension in the kitchen where there are 2 radiators & I imagine a lot of heat loss .

The boiler would be in our living room
    Was hoping I could get some good advice & guidance here as I find it quite confusing trying to determine the type & size of stove to get .
    We went to see the Stanley stoves recently but they were so expensive !
    Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Moved from Forum Requests

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Froststop

Puddings wrote: »
    Help looking to fit a multi fuel stove with back boiler into our current fireplace but font know what size or type to buy .
    Can't afford to spend a large amount so hoping for a good price stove
    We are in a 3 bed semi detached house with 8 radiators ( some old not double type )

We had a plumber here this week who said a figure of 10,000 kw bts is what we need ???? What does this mean , our house is not particularly large but we do have open plan sitting room & a conservatory extension in the kitchen where there are 2 radiators & I imagine a lot of heat loss .

The boiler would be in our living room
    Was hoping I could get some good advice & guidance here as I find it quite confusing trying to determine the type & size of stove to get .
    We went to see the Stanley stoves recently but they were so expensive !
    Thank you

10,000 BTU's is the measurement of the heating power being generated.
    If you allow 3000 BTU's per rad you can calculate your required stove size.

8 rads + cyclinder = 9 rads
    3000 x 9 = 27,000 BTU's or 8 KW stove. I think your plumber meant 10KW.

You need to ask your stove agent how many KW's to the boiler and to the room? For example: a 21KW stove Modena stove is 14KW to the boiler and 7KW to the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Puddings

Thank you kindly for your reply , my brother suggested an Erin Stanley stove might suit our house & I saw one advertised second hand & only 2 years old . Would be great if that was suitable :() trying to figure out the detail here on their website !! Could give up now any day looking stoves !!!

Thank you kindly for your reply , my brother suggested an Erin Stanley stove might suit our house & I saw one advertised second hand & only 2 years old . Would be great if that was suitable :() trying to figure out the detail here on their website !! Could give up now any day looking stoves !!!

Two types, one with boiler and one without boiler.

The version with boiler is 13.2Kw to the boiler and 6KW to the room.
    Stanley say 9 standard rads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Stove manufacturer's, when quoting numbers of rads, are generally talking about 900mm x 500mm single radiator. Doubles count as two. A 1000 x 500 single rad is about 1kw gross.
    A standard copper 30 gallon cylinder is about 3kw.

• Advertisement

So would that make the Erin stanley a suitable size then would u think ?
    Am I crazy to buy a second hand stove ( is advertised as being only 2 years old , seller upgrading to a larger one )
    Tks again

So would that make the Erin stanley a suitable size then would u think ?
    Am I crazy to buy a second hand stove ( is advertised as being only 2 years old , seller upgrading to a larger one )
    Tks again

It should do the job, just make sure it has the boiler and has no leaks or pin holes.
    I would get a price for a new one to compare for the second hand price.
    Consider both as it might be worth going the extra for a new one depending on the price of the second hand one.

Thanks for your advice , 1 more question would u know if stoves can be painted ie if I buy a black one could a professional painter change the colour if it for me ?
    I know it's a long shot but maybe someone may have done it before !

Thanks for your advice , 1 more question would u know if stoves can be painted ie if I buy a black one could a professional painter change the colour if it for me ?
    I know it's a long shot but maybe someone may have done it before !

I think you can repaint with heat resistant paint, I know you can get black.
    This might help http://www.wikihow.com/Paint-a-Wood-Stove

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Ballycarton

We have installed the Stanley Erin recently .We have 12 a 3 bedroom Bungalow with 12 rads, 5 doubles & 2 Singles. The Erin heats them all no bother with lashings of hot water too.We are very happy with it. The erin should be fine for you too.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 51 ✭✭StoveMaster

Hi Puddings
    Read my post on stanley Erin stove at below link, might give you an idea why a 2 year old one is up for sale, they perform great at first but go down hill fast as the design is over 25 years old.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=86535333

Hi the stove seller never came back to me with the Erin .
    Still looking but finding it hard work to be honest ! Any recommendations on where to go & what stove to look at ?
    We are in county Kildare .

Tks for advice folks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 51 ✭✭StoveMaster

Hi Puddings
    Best place to buy is the national ploughing championship, only time you can see all products available together and compare output and aesthetics, it's on the last week in September.

I would be more than surprised if you didn't find exactly what you need there, also you won't have a retailer pushing rubbish on you because he has a high margin on it.

Hop this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 2 paulikeny

Im fitting a boiler stove in my fireplace. Ive been advised to line the chimney flue with 904 grabliner. Ive also being advised from a separate plumber that its not necessary? If I do fit this liner, how long will it last before it needs replacing bearing in mind how expensive it is? Also when it comes to cleaning the chimney, does it become more difficult or awkward for the chimney cleaner? Thanks for reading. Looking forward to your replys...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

paulikeny wrote: »
    Im fitting a boiler stove in my fireplace. Ive been advised to line the chimney flue with 904 grabliner. Ive also being advised from a separate plumber that its not necessary? If I do fit this liner, how long will it last before it needs replacing bearing in mind how expensive it is? Also when it comes to cleaning the chimney, does it become more difficult or awkward for the chimney cleaner? Thanks for reading. Looking forward to your replys...

Lining your chimney will make your flue and stove the most efficient it can.there are plenty of threads on this subject.
    The liner will have a 10year warranty.
    The cleaning of the flue is no problem to a chimney sweep

• Registered Users Posts: 2 paulikeny

Hi Sorry me again. Is It necessary to fit a suit box in The chimney breast When fitting a boiler stove for The obvious reasons or can You Just Get The sweep to clean The chimney through the stove.

Oh and finally What Are your thoughts on The Stanley reginald ? After long discussions That Is The stove That suits our needs and looks good too I think !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

paulikeny wrote: »
    Hi Sorry me again. Is It necessary to fit a suit box in The chimney breast When fitting a boiler stove for The obvious reasons or can You Just Get The sweep to clean The chimney through the stove.

Oh and finally What Are your thoughts on The Stanley reginald ? After long discussions That Is The stove That suits our needs and looks good too I think !

It all depends on what way is the flue been done.
    What's the intended flue setup

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭batman1

I fitted the arrow ecoboiler EB12i inset. Looks good and is very efficient. Also got the chimney lined with the liner which reduces the diameter of the chimney hence increasing the stove efficiency.

http://www.boilerstovesireland.ie/product_info.php?cPath=4&products_id=217

It heats the house no problem, lots of hot water etc. If it's lit mid afternoon, half a bucket of coal and 5 or 6 logs keep it going till bedtime and beyond. Toasty house in the morn. 4 Bed semi-d. Works out about 15-20 euro per week for all heat/hot water.

My advice (following months of research) is to spend the bit extra on a good stove. Nothing worse than paying out money and then be dissapointed. Our oil boiler hasn't been on since Feb when we got this fitted and the savings there alone have paid for the extra we spent getting a better stove. (We also looked at the stanley!)

One thing I will say is that once your new stove is fitted your next job should be insulation.....!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭kerb

batman1 wrote: »
    I fitted the arrow ecoboiler EB12i inset. Looks good and is very efficient. Also got the chimney lined with the liner which reduces the diameter of the chimney hence increasing the stove efficiency.

http://www.boilerstovesireland.ie/product_info.php?cPath=4&products_id=217

It heats the house no problem, lots of hot water etc. If it's lit mid afternoon, half a bucket of coal and 5 or 6 logs keep it going till bedtime and beyond. Toasty house in the morn. 4 Bed semi-d. Works out about 15-20 euro per week for all heat/hot water.

My advice (following months of research) is to spend the bit extra on a good stove. Nothing worse than paying out money and then be dissapointed. Our oil boiler hasn't been on since Feb when we got this fitted and the savings there alone have paid for the extra we spent getting a better stove. (We also looked at the stanley!)

One thing I will say is that once your new stove is fitted your next job should be insulation.....!

Hi Batman

I also fitted the same stove as you
    i have it in about a week now and im finding very poor room heat from it
    the room its in is 5 meters x 5 meters
    it heats my hot water and the rads fine
    i would also be putting in twice as much fuel as you are
    could you tell me what size room your stove is in ??
    and have you also a rad on in this room ??
    and how many rads in total is it running ???

im pretty disapointed with this, i was told when i bought it that if would be perfect for this room

i done everything as instructed insulation/liner etc

any info would be great
    regards kerb

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I have one of these http://www.firebird.ie/index.php/products/biomass-boilers/194.html

Went for the 16kw model and it heats 9 double rads easily and provides loads of hot water.
    Shop around and you can find them for €1300.Heatmerchants seem to be the main stockists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭batman1

kerb wrote: »
    Hi Batman

I also fitted the same stove as you
    i have it in about a week now and im finding very poor room heat from it
    the room its in is 5 meters x 5 meters
    it heats my hot water and the rads fine
    i would also be putting in twice as much fuel as you are
    could you tell me what size room your stove is in ??
    and have you also a rad on in this room ??
    and how many rads in total is it running ???

im pretty disapointed with this, i was told when i bought it that if would be perfect for this room

i done everything as instructed insulation/liner etc

any info would be great
    regards kerb

The room I have it in is 4m x 5.5m so roughly the same.

Yes we have a rad in the room and it's left on.
    Like you, initially we thought the heat was not great to the room. However, if you previously had an open fire you will notice a difference because you are not getting the 'red face' blast of heat from one place. I find the stove heat to be a more comfortable 'all over' heat. You will get used to it.

Our stove heats all our downstairs rads(we have upstairs turned off as it would be too warm). A total of 5 large doubles and 4 singles.

When I light it I put my coal in and leave the dampers open to get it glowing red. (open bottom and top fully and leave side one at 3) Then close the bottom front one on the door, leave the top one open about 1 or 2 mm and close the one on the side down to between 1 and 2. Once this is done a couple of logs will keep it topped up all night.
    Don't fiddle with the air controls every few minutes. The one on the side has a thermostat. If the stove cools more air gets in and will close again once it heats up.

I'm only guessing here but perhaps you are burning it too quickly, i.e. leaving the air open too much or for too long. It's all about getting the settings right for the fuel you are burning. I burn ecoglow nuggets (ecobrite). On a really cold day I might burn a full bucket of coal but I'd say I have done that twice since January last.

(Incidentally, my wife would burn twice as much as me for the same heat :eek:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

From that link the output to the room is 5kw which is a little low for that size room.

Advertisement