Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

stoves

Options
  • 07-09-2013 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Just got a stanley eirn stove fitted any advice on the best fuels to use...tks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 51 ✭✭StoveMaster

Hi sorefeet,
    Although the Erin is advertised as a multi fuel stove the design is over 25 years old from a time when multi fuel stoves didn't exist. I'm sorry to have to tell you but the Kw rating is based on burning anthricate which is used in furnaces not domestic appliances. If you burn wood you will have to pay top dollar for it as it will need to be completely dried for at least a year, ash would be best because it has a higher calorific value and less sap but is expensive to get good quality. If you burn slightly moist wood the moisture will extract and bring the sap with it, the sap will stick to the inside of the boiler like concrete and over time your stove will become more and more inefficient, two years down the line your rad's will be warm not hot.

To make your stoves efficiency last you will have to burn a max 30% wood with 70% high quality coal, this is mostly down to the nature of the old designed boiler which will sap up and soot up fast with poor quality fuel.

A different choice would have resulted in far better savings on fuel bills, if it's not actually fitted I'd bring it back for a properly designed multi fuel stove with a secondary air system to burn off the soot and sap and a proper air wash system.

One more point, is it mat black? If so it was bought from a LCC (low cost country) typically China ready in a box with no work done to it in Ireland whatsoever. If the retailer spun you a yarn that it was made in Ireland or assembled in Ireland I would be looking for reimbursement for taking it out.

Anything else you need to know just ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Puddings

What stove would u recommend ? , I was hoping to try get a second hand one thatvwas in good condition , but not having much look at the moment .
    Have 8 rads & want to have a stove with back boiler fitted .
    Tks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 51 ✭✭StoveMaster

Puddings wrote: »
    What stove would u recommend ? , I was hoping to try get a second hand one thatvwas in good condition , but not having much look at the moment .
    Have 8 rads & want to have a stove with back boiler fitted .
    Tks

Hi Puddings
    Best place to buy is the national ploughing championship, only time you can see all products available together and compare output and aesthetics, it's on the last week in September.

I would be more than surprised if you didn't find exactly what you need there, also you won't have a retailer pushing rubbish on you because he has a high margin on it.

Hop this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭millie35

Hi Stovemaster

Could you recommend a stove to go in the fireplace of a fairly large open plan sitting room, no boiler required?

The room has two really long but small radiators they are ok but my elderly dad is always complaining he is cold, despite wearing half his winter wardrobe.

Advertisement