Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eddie Rocketts

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

I do like the food there and the service, but i simply can't justify paying 7 euro for a burger anymore. Two meals (burger, fries, drink) can cost about 30 euro and I just don't have that kind of money.

I can get the same same size meal in places in Dublin for half the cost, so I see no reason to go to Eddie Rocket's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

lindtee wrote: »
    Went to Eddie Rockets today in Mahon Point and was suprised to see that the prices had increased on everything:mad: Anyway, I liked their burgers so I went ahead and ordered 2 smokey burgers(BOGOF vouchers)......Absolutley disgusted with what I got, burger was TINY, I was used to getting burgers 3-4 times its size, there was one onion ring and a sliver of streaky bacon in each burger too....in a stale bun:mad: Got chips aswell which were overcooked. Never again will I eat there, the BOGOF vouchers are no incentive anymore.

I cannot believe in this day and age when consumers are watching their pennies, that any company would increase its prices by over 20% and reduce the sizes of what you are getting. I certainly will not be eating there anymore and can't see anyone else continuing to eat there (in mahon anyways) when as the previous poster said there is a choice of several other eateries, all cheaper. (and who haven't raised their prices by over 20% overnight)

(edit-price gone up to €6.70 for a burger!)

I agree about the outlet in Mahon Point. Because it's not a 'full' restaurant, they sell smaller than usual burgers and they're just not worth it. It's quite disappointing because I am quite an Eddie Rocket's fan normally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

dudara wrote: »
    I agree about the outlet in Mahon Point. Because it's not a 'full' restaurant, they sell smaller than usual burgers and they're just not worth it. It's quite disappointing because I am quite an Eddie Rocket's fan normally.

But thats the thing, up to a couple of weeks ago, the burgers were huge and far tastier there. :( Am disapointed to because I used to like going there. You think in a recession they'd be trying to keep their customers:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,474 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Went to the one in Kilkenny a few weeks ago. 13.50 for a pretty standard burger, fries and a coke :eek:. Bloody hell, I could have had my lunch in any of the good hotels in KK for more or less. And the place was full of families with Kids!

FruitLover wrote: »
    Maybe I'm just a genius, but when I'm concerned about money, I check prices beforehand (in restaurants, they're usually written on the menu).

No most people are typically Irish and would be too embaressed to get up and walk out. They won't say anyhting either but will not return and will tell everybody about it. It's the typical Irish way!

Acacia wrote: »
    I do like the food there and the service, but i simply can't justify paying 7 euro for a burger anymore. Two meals (burger, fries, drink) can cost about 30 euro and I just don't have that kind of money.

I can get the same same size meal in places in Dublin for half the cost, so I see no reason to go to Eddie Rocket's.

That's it in a nut shell. Nobody can justify spending that much on burgers imo. They need to be about 25% cheaper for what you get. They must have very healthy profit margins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭DEEP THROAT

Rip-Off.......

They wouldn't think of it

http://www.johnnyrockets.com/themenu/items.php

Decor the same too:eek:

http://www.johnnyrockets.com/aboutus/movs/30_second_wmv.php

And funnily enough the Irish franchise is still available:confused::confused:

http://www.johnnyrockets.com/franchise/availablelocations_i.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

lindtee wrote: »
    I went ahead and ordered 2 smokey burgers(BOGOF vouchers)......Absolutley disgusted with what I got, burger was TINY, I was used to getting burgers 3-4 times its size,
    The trick is not to reveal your vouchers until it is made if possible. Places often make smaller burgers if you are getting 1 for free. Abras used to do this with idependent directory vouchers. We would only show them at checkout and they would be saying "you were meant to show that when ordering", we would just say "oh, I didn't know, whats the difference", and of course they would not come out and say, "if we knew we would have given you tiny kebabs!"
    FruitLover wrote: »
    Maybe I'm just a genius, but when I'm concerned about money, I check prices beforehand (in restaurants, they're usually written on the menu).
    mfitzy wrote: »
    No most people are typically Irish and would be too embaressed to get up and walk out. They won't say anyhting either but will not return and will tell everybody about it. It's the typical Irish way!
    I think restaurants have to have menus visible from outside or just inside, for this very reason.
    http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Hot_Topics/Print-versions-of-guides/NCA-prices-guide.html
    Eating establishments
    Restaurants and other eating establishments must display prices immediately outside or immediately inside each entrance to the premises and on menus (or if there are no individual menus, in a clear display on the premises such as a blackboard).

If applicable, the price display must indicate if there is:

A minimum charge
    A service charge - and whether this is included in the price of the food
    A cover charge, a charge for entertainment, or any similar charge
    If a pub or hotel has an eating area, the food price display must be at each entrance to the premises or at each entrance to the catering area.

Where different prices are charged at different times or days, these different prices must be specified, together with the items to which they relate.

dudara wrote: »
    So are the burgers cheaper to reflect this smaller size. The usual menu specifically says 1/3lb burgers, so do they say smaller or leave it out. All I can think is that in communal eating areas their overheads are less, i.e. rocketts do have fancier seats etc in normal ones. Also the burgers would appear expensive in communal places where people can easily compare prices with the others around it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭legend73

When comparing apples for apples - I'm a fan of Eddies. The burgers are comparable to and often better than a pub or resteraunt burger that can charge upto 13 quid just for a burger!

You can't compare the burgers to Mickey D's or BKings at all they are just not in the same ball park and taste like rubber at the later establishments.

I think it is a fair point - if you think they are expensive don't eat there. Go the double take chicken sometimes with the burgar sauce on the side, delicious and wash it down with a malt. The fries are not up to par! skip em.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

"Empty Pockets" in Limerick city also do the 10% surcharge after 11pm at night. Always packed on Friday and Sat night. Go figure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

I quite like Eddie Rockets *blush*, but it's just the occasional treat once a month or so. I think it's grand when you want something to eat but don't want to bother with a restaurant/pub. You can linger awhile there too and I like that as well. You don't get table service in Supermacs and co :)
    I normally get the buffalo wings and they're roughly the same price as what pubs/restaurants charge, from what I've seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

i love Eddie. i always used the 2-for-1 vouchers on back of the tesco receipts. otherwise i wouldn't have been there. always thought they have the best burgers.

used to work for a hotel with ER attached to it. it's the hotel's "restaurant" for dinner and breakfast like. hotel staff got 50% off. it was heaven for me :D i got their stuff even as takeaway for a family dinner for half price ;)

Advertisement