Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any proposals on the cards tomorrow?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Kiwi in IE wrote: »
    The turnout is fantastic news! I have never felt so excited about the result of any vote. I think this is a really big moment in history for Ireland.

Neither have I. It will be, to quote Enda Kenny, "the making of us as a nation". I'm living in England and it's been in the news over here the past few days (and they never cover anything about Ireland).

It's really amazing to see how much things have changed in such a short period of time, 22 years ago homosexual acts were a criminal offence, now we're on the cusp of being to paraphrase An Taoiseach 'the best small country in the world to be a gay person'!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

lottpaul wrote: »
    None set yet but hopefully all will be done before the next General Election - i.e. prob Spring 2016.

Great stuff. So there still needs to be another piece of legislation before marriage may be contracted by two persons without distinction as to their sex, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Then maybe you should keep it about marriage then . . .

Whatever that's meant to mean.

Anyway goodnight all, hopefully we will be celebrating tomorrow! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭barretsimpson

anna080 wrote: »
    Whatever that's meant to mean.

Marriage is for everyone regardless of circumstance.
    Surely you knew what you were voting for ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Marriage is for everyone regardless of circumstance.
    Surely you knew what you were voting for ?

That would be why I voted yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

Yeah its a pity you could keep they should piss off comments out of it, and just be happy for the couples. What were you really voting for ?

I voted for the type of society I want to live in, and the type of society that I want my children to grow up in, a society where equality, freedom and human rights are the building blocks.

Why are you making some sort of negative implication with that question?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

"The Referendum Returning Officer will draw up a provisional referendum certificate from the constituency results. The provisional referendum certificate is published"....

http://www.referendum.ie/referendum_result.php

If no appeal is made then the President signs an enforcement Bill and the amendment becomes law and any amending legislation needed is drawn up by the Govt.

(Fingers crossed that there is no appeal)

Neither have I. It will be, to quote Enda Kenny, "the making of us as a nation". I'm living in England and it's been in the news over here the past few days (and they never cover anything about Ireland).

It's really amazing to see how much things have changed in such a short period of time, 22 years ago homosexual acts were a criminal offence, now we're on the cusp of being to paraphrase An Taoiseach 'the best small country in the world to be a gay person'!

It has been news in NZ as well. My mum has been texting me snippets of what the papers back home have said. I will be so proud of my adopted country tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

I wonder how many signatures are needed for such a petition....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

To answer the question in your OP, Kiwi, no dates or anything , but if it passes then on Tuesday (pay day) I'm planning to get flowers sent to my partner's work asking her to marry me all over again. We're already civil partners and did the big white wedding thing, but we've discussed having another small ceremony for our "upgrade" and going for dinner with just our very close family and friends. And she's been complaining that I haven't sent her flowers in ages, so it's a good excuse.

• Advertisement

Vojera wrote: »
    To answer the question in your OP, Kiwi, no dates or anything , but if it passes then on Tuesday (pay day) I'm planning to get flowers sent to my partner's work asking her to marry me all over again. We're already civil partners and did the big white wedding thing, but we've discussed having another small ceremony for our "upgrade" and going for dinner with just our very close family and friends. And she's been complaining that I haven't sent her flowers in ages, so it's a good excuse.

Aw that's great news! Congratulations in advance for referendum result and proposal. The chances she will say yes are high anyway, since you are already CPs ;)

I voted for the type of society I want to live in, and the type of society that I want my children to grow up in, a society where equality, freedom and human rights are the building blocks.

Why are you making some sort of negative implication with that question?

The type of democratic equal and free society where people who have every democratic right to vote whatever way they want to, should piss off from their own country. Very nice human rights and building blocks indeed.

The type of democratic equal and free society where people who have every democratic right to vote whatever way they want to, should piss off from their own country. Very nice human rights and building blocks indeed.

Clearly you are going to continuously misinterpret my posts to suit whatever agenda you are attempting to push. I see little point in continuing to engage in this nonsense so I am leaving it here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Utter bilge. Sanctimony is the preserve of the self appointed self righteous spokespeople for "God". A disgrace to democracy is the catholic theocracy created in this country. Hopefully tomorrow we see a heavy body blow to the lunacy that the way to create the future is to refer to the "revelation" made by "God" to middle eastern gentlemen thousands of years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Take it to PM this discussion is miles off topic.

Clearly you are going to continuously misinterpret my posts to suit whatever agenda you are attempting to push. I see little point in continuing to engage in this nonsense so I am leaving it here.

You were the one that introduced it into the OP, whereas I think today's vote and tomorrow success should be kept about marriage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

Evangelise this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

lottpaul wrote: »
    "The Referendum Returning Officer will draw up a provisional referendum certificate from the constituency results. The provisional referendum certificate is published"....

http://www.referendum.ie/referendum_result.php

If no appeal is made then the President signs an enforcement Bill and the amendment becomes law and any amending legislation needed is drawn up by the Govt.

(Fingers crossed that there is no appeal)

Unfortunately you can bet on an appeal will be made by 'the usual folks'

• Registered Users Posts: 40,860 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Fleawuss wrote: »
    Evangelise this.

Keep the discussion on topic

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

A massive congratulations to all you guys who are directly affected by this! I am so delighted for you, and for society as a whole. This is such a fantastic day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Congrats folks, never should have had to vote on it in the first place. The results will confirm what we have known already, gay/straight/bi/anywhere else on the spectrum, it doesn't matter. We're all equal.

Advertisement