Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Prometheus *SPOILERS FROM POST 1538*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

One thing that confused me;

Why did the Engineers place a starmap in those ancient drawings? Was it a threat rather than an invitation? As in; "We have black plasma WMDs that create space cobras from worms here, we can use them on you"
    Why place a starmap to what is seemingly a random planet out of trillions and not your homeworld? Why place the starmap at all?

I think that the Engineers possibly had some sort of guiding influence for humanity after humanity began to evolve in become more civilised. Perhaps they were tyrannical "Gods" whom the people feared, and the Engineers demanded that they build ziggurats and pyramids and other monuments to them or else they would bring down a "plague" on them- from the stars *Engineer draws starmap on a wall*. That's how I interpret this anyway. If you notice, most of the Gods of the ancient peoples demanded sacrifices and labour to appease them. This would fit in well with the "Ancient Astronauts" theory and the Annunaki of ancient Middle Eastern cultures (Sumerians? Babylonians? Assyrians? Not sure).

On an unrelated note, I came up with a theory for life being here. Millions upon millions of years ago, an alien ship took a rest stop on Earth. One of the aliens got out and took a dump in a pool of water, then the aliens left. The bacteria on the crap thrived in the primordial ooze and evolved into amoeba, which turned into less basic organisms which turned into the first creatures and then us long after the aliens species had died out. Imagine that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

It has to be one of the most fascinating movies in a long time (flaws and all). I have seen it twice now and cannot wait for the blu ray to disect it even more. To think we have been busy watching and debating the merits of this movie and it is only being released in the States tomorrow.

Ridley Scott interview

http://www.movies.com/movie-news/ridley-scott-prometheus-interview/8232

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Yes there's gaps in logic. Yes some of the execution feels off. And yes it's not as tense as Alien. Doesn't mean I didn't get alot out of it.
    ALOT2.png
    :p

What's frustrating for me is to wait for the proverbial good science fiction movie, to actually see the potential of one on the screen, composed by one of the really great directors of this generation for visuals and art direction, and then to be disappointed by really ****ty writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Saw this last night, I really enjoyed it up until the last half an hour, It was very disappointing as the plot seemed to unravel. I rewatched Alien at the weekend and have to say that is a far superior film.

I have so many questions Im not sure where to start,

One thing thats really bugging me but is not a criticism is do we know why there space ships failed to launch?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Saw this last night, I really enjoyed it up until the last half an hour, It was very disappointing as the plot seemed to unravel. I rewatched Alien at the weekend and have to say that is a far superior film.

I have so many questions Im not sure where to start,

One thing thats really bugging me but is not a criticism is do we know why there space ships failed to launch?

Well in the case of the one they were on there was obviously some sort of outbreak which then spread to the others, that's my reading of it anyways .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Mega long post
    Nail on the head, post of the thread.
    I've little doubt that thematically and stylistically The Dark Knight will blow it out of the water on every practical level, but give me a film that tries (and occasionally succeeds) in being distinctive and ambitious over dumb fun any day of the week.
    Mickeroo wrote: »
    TDK is the only big budget blockbuster I can think of in recent years that managed to address themes on the same level while still managing to be a truely compelling film. Its a shame, because there's still a lot to love in Prometheus.
    I wonder did TDK and will the next Batman film get analysed like Prometheus. There was a lot of stupid and unrealistic things in TDK and that is hailed as one of the great movies of all time.

Themes in Batman? It's good guy vs bad guys, what else is there to it? To me the new Batman films are just like every other superhero film, "dumb fun" and nothing to think about or discuss later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

stevenmu wrote: »
    II think it's more likely that she is an android and referred to him as father because he built her (and I think the next film will see her android body being recovered by a "rescue mission").

Actually Scott went out of his way to show the maggots/worms crawling in a footprint. I wonder were the swimming snake/facehuggers that got Fifield and Milburn a result of these being infected with the goo.

I took both these points as a given. They went out of their way to get Theron out of the ship that was about to explode. I take this as providing a mushed up android memory of what happened or some rubbish like that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,723 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

mikhail wrote: »
    What's frustrating for me is to wait for the proverbial good science fiction movie, to actually see the potential of one on the screen, composed by one of the really great directors of this generation for visuals and art direction, and then to be disappointed by really ****ty writing.

To me the film seems to be creating four distinct camps:

a) Those who are willing to partially if not forgive then at least acknowledge the flaws in favour of the film's strengths and ambition
    b) Those who are disappointed by the film's failed potential, and are less willing to forgive the script's failings, despite acknowledging there are things to like
    (I consider a and b to be interconnected, just with positive / negative slants)
    c) The franchise devotees, who either liked it or didn't
    and finally...
    d) The pedant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

a) Those who are willing to partially if not forgive then at least acknowledge the flaws in favour of the film's strengths and ambition
    b) Those who are disappointed by the film's failed potential, and are less willing to forgive the script's failings, despite acknowledging there are things to like
    and finally...
    d) The pedant

e) those who take the film for what it is. A superb looking sci-fi film the likes of which we haven't had in years, and understand it is not trying be an oscar-winning conversation filled bore-fest.

It has aliens, spaceships, explosions and good looking ladies in tight spandex.

I really fail to see the issues lol

and finally...
    d) The pedant

I'd liken it to the bible where you have

a) those who are willing to partially if not wholly forgive the book it's flaws in favor of its ambitious universe creating narrative.
    b) those who are disappointed by the books failed potential, and are less willing to forgive its failings , despite acknowledging there are some nice parables in there.
    c)The Evangelicals who pick and choose the bits they like from the old and the new testament to suit their arguments and
    d)The sceptic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

It has aliens, spaceships, explosions and good looking ladies

So does Battleship.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,395 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Nail on the head, post of the thread.

I wonder did TDK and will the next Batman film get analysed like Prometheus. There was a lot of stupid and unrealistic things in TDK and that is hailed as one of the great movies of all time.

Sure there was, its a superhero film afterall, but there was no point where my suspension of disbelief felt jarred as it did in prometheus. I had no problem with unrealistic stuff in terms of physicality in prometheus, like Shaw running/getting thrown around after the surgery, in much the same way I had no problem with batman & rachel surviving the fall from the sky scraper. Its that the characters didn't behave in a fashion that was acceptable within that universe in some scenes, it was just bad writing, and thats the main thing that stopped prometheus being success imo. Don't get me wrong, I actually liked the film, at least it can sit along side the first 3 alien films, and it left enough threads hanging to make me hope its a financial success so we'll get that sequel.

Oh and there was heaps of debate on TDK iirc and I'm pretty sure there will be about TDKR too, its even more hyped than Prometheus was.

Themes in Batman? It's good guy vs bad guys, what else is there to it? To me the new Batman films are just like every other superhero film, "dumb fun" and nothing to think about or discuss later.

I could easily apply the same logic to any genre film. Sure, Prometheus is just a dumb monster movie with spaceships and explosions. TDK was a lot of things but dumb wasn't one of them. THere's plenty in it about human nature and the need to symbolise good and evil, societies constant struggle between order and chaos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

So does Battleship.
    Yes but Battleship has Rihanna which automatically makes it the worst movie since 50 cents get rich or die trying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Yes but Battleship has Rihanna which automatically makes it the worst movie since 50 cents get rich or die trying.

What really made it bad was that Rihanna was the best thing in it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭jcf

So is the sequel confirmed or what ? are people just assuming so ?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,395 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

jcf wrote: »

I imagine it will hinge on how it does at the box office. i think its done pretty well on the international run this week?

One thing, a lot of people are talking about things being cleared up in a directors cut, I was under the impression that this is Scott's preferred cut?

I imagine it will hinge on how it does at the box office. i think its done pretty well on the international run this week?

One thing, a lot of people are talking about things being cleared up in a directors cut, I was under the impression that this is Scott's preferred cut?

I would imagine the blu ray will have many extras including new scenes not seen in the cinema. I hope it does to make it more coherent. Also should be interesting to listen to Scott's commentary after all the criticism so far.

Interesting review from Roger Ebert.

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20120606/REVIEWS/120609989

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

e) those who take the film for what it is. A superb looking sci-fi film the likes of which we haven't had in years, and understand it is not trying be an oscar-winning conversation filled bore-fest.

It has aliens, spaceships, explosions and good looking ladies in tight spandex.

I really fail to see the issues lol

This thread has helped me pin down why I thought Prometheus was a good spectacle, but not a particularly good film (sci-fi or otherwise) while others think it's admirable sci-fi on the big screen.

I like science fiction as a genre, whether it's in prose, comics, a television serial or film form. And, put bluntly, the term "sci-fi" in TV and film means something that is in some ways very different to what it means in prose or comics, due to the costs of production and ensuing requirement to try and ensnare an audience by having certain "guaranteed" appeals.

If I judge Prometheus by the standards set by the likes of Clarke, Asimov, Reed, Banks & co., it falls short by some considerable way. If I judge it by the standards established purely in cinematic science fiction, it fares better. If I judge it by the standards established purely in widely-distributed theatrically-released science fiction, it fares better still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Thematically, it's bountiful in its willingness to explore big ideas. Darwinisim, objectivism, spirituality, the very nature of scientific discovery and curiosity: this is not a shallow film.

And it barely scratches the surface on all of those themes. As the old Inception joke goes; we need to go deeper. ;)

rednik wrote: »
    I would imagine the blu ray will have many extras including new scenes not seen in the cinema. I hope it does to make it more coherent. Also should be interesting to listen to Scott's commentary after all the criticism so far.

Interesting review from Roger Ebert.

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20120606/REVIEWS/120609989

It could do with cutting some scenes too , or replacing them ... (epilogue and fight between that squid and engineer - in fact cut the squid out alltogether ) doubt it tho ... mind you Alien3 dir. cut did.

and regarding the review from Ebert, dismissed - he is obviously being paid by Fox to give it a good review, as far as I recall he gave Indiana Jones IV a good review.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

It has to be one of the most fascinating movies in a long time (flaws and all). I have seen it twice now and cannot wait for the blu ray to disect it even more. To think we have been busy watching and debating the merits of this movie and it is only being released in the States tomorrow.

Ridley Scott interview

Having read that, gives me some home for the sequel, if they tie everything together, we may look back at 2 classic movies in a few years. I really like what he says about always having planned a sequel to basically explain it. I can probably live with the dumb characters now!

bullvine wrote: »
    Having read that, gives me some home for the sequel, if they tie everything together, we may look back at 2 classic movies in a few years. I really like what he says about always having planned a sequel to basically explain it. I can probably live with the dumb characters now!

Hold your horses there!!!!

While it may be improved it can never be a classic !!!

Hold your horses there!!!!

While it may be improved it can never be a classic !!!

A lot of people said the same when Alien and Blade Runner were released. I am not putting those films in the same bracket as Prometheus, just saying they were not well received at the time.

I saw them both on release and thought they were stunning, Prometheus I am not too sure yet.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Ridley Scott interview

I don't get why there is anything fascinating about it. Aliens as creators is a pretty standard story. The one thing is the suggestion that David is not happy with humans for the reason they created him. Much more interesting concepts in other films.
    There is a much better twilight zone story where alien creators return to earth and are disappointed. Man of Earth is better too and that has a poor script and acting.
    You need to watch more films or read some books if you class this as fascinating

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Good chance it will show a decent profit I'd say, as you say the Internation opening has been brisk and the estimated budget is relatively frugal $130m when compared to the estimated budgets, for example, of Battleship, ($210m) Snow White ($170) , John Carter ($250m) or the Avengers ($220m).

For the moment he is going to say it was his preferred cut isn't he. :D. For me it would have been better either as a shorter or longer film with some of the side plots cut out altogether or developed more fully. Hopefully there is plenty of footage left of the cutting room floor for the latter. Watching it unfold it just felt like they were trying to hit the 2 hour mark for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Maybe for now - but if they can sell another version down the line I'm sure he may change his mind ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,723 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

and regarding the review from Ebert, dismissed - he is obviously being paid by Fox to give it a good review, as far as I recall he gave Indiana Jones IV a good review.

To be fair to Ebert, he's a 'glass half full' sort of guy, who tends to be overly optimistic of pretty much everything (except The Raid and video games). He's earned that right, even if I just tend to look at his opinions as curios rather than definitive statements. I'd still trust his opinion as an honest one over 95% of other film journalists, though.

And if Fox paid off every critic who gave this a positive or at least cautiously optimistic review, then their coffers would be very empty indeed. Metacritic average actually seems to have jumped a few points since the American critics hopped on board.

Not that critical consensus really counts for anything these days, but I just think it's interesting to compare their reaction to that of the viewing public. Again, Mark Kermode's opining (that's my word of the day) probably hits the mark most IMO.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

marco_polo wrote: »
    Good chance it will show a decent profit I'd say, as you say the Internation opening has been brisk and the estimated budget is relatively frugal $130m when compared to the estimated budgets, for example, of Battleship, ($210m) Snow White ($170) , John Carter ($250m) or the Avengers ($220m).

I thought you might have been joking with these numbers so I checked it out... I apologise for doubting, but that is absolutely unbelievable. I cannot get my head around the fact that every movie you listed here cost more that Prometheus, I couldn't even finish watching Battleship!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 376 ✭✭cambridge

Such a mediocre film.

For the money they spent on it, the amount of development time, the (apparent) pedigree of all involved it should have been much better.

For being part of the Alien franchise, it should have been much better.

If you ignore the budget, and pretend it has nothing to do with Alien, it's ok as a science fiction movie.

But the sheer amount of scientific and logical peculiarities I don't know how anyone could rate this highly. This is only so much suspension of disbelief you can do in one sitting.

I hope it fails miserably at the box office. I hope everyone associated with this film at the top never works again. I hope a proper team takes over the next film.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Really enjoyed the film for all of it's flaws, david was great.

What was with the mapping guy getting lost because they are scared of a dead body and freaking out over nothing at the scientist? Then they go back and SLEEP in that cave and don't give a **** about alien snakes...

I am not sure if the Engineers created aliens or were simply trying to recreate the alien species they had seen or something? They definitely had pictures of the xenomorphs already, so it;s not like that was the birth of the first one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

perhaps the xenomorphs are sort of like the end product of evolution, a perfect killing machine adaptable to almost any environment

A lot of people like to give this film Kudos in the amount of discussion it has generated and it is true to say I haven't talked about a film at length like this since Inception (another film by an auteur director). The difference between the two tho imo is that in Inception Nolan made a compelling movie with character/s I could emotionally engage with, thus freeing me to mull over, at length, the many theories and themes brought up in the film in that thread. Ridley did me no such favors with Prometheus tho here he fashioned a film so fraught with bone headedly stupid characters and logic fails that it's whole success is promulgated on us finding it's whole ancient aliens concept profound and as a result am left ,like many others, picking holes. So in short it isn't enough to say "wow look at how much discussion it is generating, it must be good" , it has to be the right sort of discussion , if the discussion on a film such as this, that attempts to tackle the origin of the species, generates more discussion of plot and character issues then the larger themes it attempts to raise then you know there is something fundamentally wrong .

I can't help wonder what might have been had the Brothers Jonathan & Christopher Nolan taken a swing at this .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

As Mickeroo said it will depend on how well the film does but I think it was made with the sequel well in sight. As I said earlier they planet was the wrong one from the first Alien film. Also in the first Alien film when the Nostromo crew are exploring the ship there is a space jockey in a pilots chair with (IIRC) their chest burst out.

Now the second point could be neatly explained if they needed in a deleted scene where one of the other ships was the ship explored in the first film but the planet would still be the wrong one.

That is without even getting into the ending of this film where David's head :pac: is piloting a ship to the engineer home world

Tim Kelly from Chud pretty much nails it for me.
    Ridley Scott’s Prometheus is a technical achievement – a visually stunning sci-fi realization made all the more dazzling with supreme use of 3D by a master playing with the form his first time. It’s an almost perfect marriage of practical and computer wizardry with rich CG landscapes and gruesome, tentacled monstrosities. But Prometheus is also a film of ideas and it’s the weight of too many ideas combined with a profound lack of character depth that make the film a stunning but lifeless affair.

I’ve made no secret my excitement for Ridley Scott’s return to the world of Alien, his second and arguably greatest work. With so much of Prometheus, a prequel, reverse engineered from Alien, Scott is perhaps opening himself up to some unfair expectations. For those expecting a straight follow-up and rightful successor to the original horror classic, you can abandon that notion immediately. Prometheus is not Alien.

Nor should it be. As Josh Miller points out in his Franchise Me, Alien is near-perfect filmmaking: a consummate blend of nightmarish horror and mind-bending science-fiction. It’s fertile ground, particularly with the mystery surrounding Alien’s Space Jockey, for a jumping-off point into both expanding the universe and exploring the questions the original film chose to leave unanswered.

Beautiful landscapes like this one make Prometheus a visual treat for the eyes.

And yet it’s clear some mysteries are best left unsolved. The film explores in-depth the nature of those extraterrestrial astronauts discovered at the beginning of Alien – who they are, what they look like under those H.R. Giger designed space suits and, most importantly, their intentions with Earth past and present.

It’s not the answers that disappoint, but how the film provides those answers that rings uninspired. Damon Lindelof’s script (working off an earlier draft by Jon Spaihts) is engaging in broad stokes, but takes far too many shortcuts and shoddy character beats– infusing the film with a B-level of cheese that Scott, along with screenwriter Dan O’Bannon (also David Glier and Walter Hill, uncredited), were able to avoid with Alien. The real kicker is how we learn about the Space Jockeys – through holographic recreations showing their final moments. How they’re queued or why they even exist are never explained. It’s equivalent to watching 3D security footage. It’s a lazy way to tell a story, and the filmmakers go to that well far too often.

It’s the above-mentioned broad strokes that entice you to stay with Prometheus’ 124 minutes in the hope that it’ll improve. The film opens at the very beginning, quite literally, as we see how life on Earth was created. Seeking the how and why of our existence, scientist couple Elizabeth Shaw (Noomi Rapace) and Charlie Holloway (Logan Marshall-Greene) embark with a crew of 15 others aboard spaceship Prometheus to LV-223 – a distant moon that might provide the answers they seek (Alien, for those wondering, visits LV-426). They’re there at the funding of trillionaire businessman Peter Weyland (Guy Pierce sporting some truly horrendous old-man prosthetics). Alien fans will identify Weyland as one half of the future Weyland-Yutani Corporation, still just Weyland Corp. here. Also present is the ship’s grizzled, battle-tested mission director: Meredith Vickers (Charlize Theron). As you might expect, the mission becomes unhinged as the true nature of LV-233 is realized to eviscerating results.

Top-notch production design keeps Prometheus visually in-step with its predecessor.

So much of what’s wrong with Prometheus is apparent with that needlessly robust crew. At 17, there are too many characters aboard this ship we’re expected to invest in. Scott and Lindelof attempt to inject these people with tics and motivations that feel arbitrary and tacked on. By end, most of them will still be nameless faces, some of whom will simply disappear. Ultimately, the crew of Prometheus is the audiences’ window into the Earth of 2192. As there’s not much to invest in character-wise, it’s difficult to invest in the threats posed to them and, potentially, Earth itself.

Noomi Rapace’s Shaw never connects like she should. It’s through no fault of Rapace’s – a welcome presence. Instead, there’s never enough of Shaw or her story to hold onto and care about. Her counterpoint Holloway is another story, as Marshall-Greene’s lifeless, thudding performance delivers one clunking line after another. You’re in a Ridley Scott movie, son. Attempt to raise your game.

Equally unfortunate is Idris Elba’s Janek, captain of the Prometheus. He’s never really introduced, he just sort of fades in and encapsulates the greater character issues of the film. He feels like a character someone aping Alien would write – in that he’s injected with an “aw shucks” charm the audience can identify with. But it’s hollow, as Elba is also forced to deliver the film’s most egregious spot of exposition, spelling out the nature of LV-233 in the most inorganic of moments and settings. It’s in that instance where Prometheus’ narrative truly squanders what little goodwill it’s built up. He makes a choice at the end of the film that would have great resonance had he and his associates been put to better use.

If Charlize Theron’s character’s motivations are unfocused, her performance is not. This turn, with Theron’s ability to project vulnerability and concern beneath that badass exterior, had me wishing that Vickers, not Shaw, was the true focal point of the film. Unfortunately Vickers eventually gets boxed into being one of the many heavies that drags Prometheus into an unfocused menagerie.

Michael Fassbender, as he’s wont to do, is again the best thing about the film he appears in. His android David is a diabolically ambivalent character – a savory addition to a franchise that’s already given film some of its most thought-provoking robots. I call some of David’s actions into question (particularly how he endangers the entire crew with an experiment he couldn’t possibly predict the result of) but that, again, is a criticism of the script and not the performance.

Michael Fassbender delivers another remarkable performance as David.

Prometheus is at its most engaging in moments of shock and horror. There’s a tentacle beast that gleefully owes its design to Alien’s facehugger. There’s also some live, bloody surgery taking place that amounts to the film’s strongest and most affecting scene. The practical work in Prometheus is every bit as gorgeous as Scott’s illustrious CG tapestries – proof positive that the work of great practical effects artists is still a necessary and worthwhile endeavor in modern film.

It all comes down to focus, of which Prometheus offers too little. Too many characters, too many threats, and too many ideas – all of which are never provided proper attention. The overreaching arc of the film is bogged down by B, C, D, E and F plotlines that go in divergent directions. The ship of the Space Jockey is a house of horrors, but its horrors never manifest a cohesive story. We’re pulled in a variety of directions that, when presented with the biggest threat, are abandoned. Where Alien raised extraordinary questions, Prometheus goes about answering them in truly ordinary ways – or not at all. The nature of the Space Jockey, or at least their purpose on LV-233, will be underwhelmingly apparent long before Janek appears to spell it out.

Prometheus is not a lead-up to Alien. It ends on a jumping-off point to explore one of its own entangled mysteries – one that I have no interest exploring with it. For those wondering: yes, you will know quite explicitly that this takes place in the Alien universe. However, it occurs in a reveal that serves no greater purpose or threat, as the story has already moved away. It amounts to a shallow, though admittedly very cool-looking, bit of fanwank.

The titular ship taking off.

And with that, I’m left contemplating whether genre filmmaking is indeed a young filmmaker’s game. In recent years we’ve seen the likes of John Carpenter, George Lucas, Steven Spielberg and now Ridley Scott revisit genres or universes they helped bring to prominence – all to middling results. Prometheus never sinks to levels of Star Wars prequel or Crystal Skull awfulness, but it offers a strikingly-similar soulless experience – one that revels in technical mastery while neglecting the captivating storytelling that put its predecessor on the map.

I wish I could give Prometheus higher marks. From a visual standpoint, this is a film that does everything right. Visually astounding yet hollow in every other conceivable aspect, it’s one half of a great film. As such, I can only give it one half of a ringing endorsement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Looks to me like the black goo actually creates engineers, which may be how they populate a planet. Isn't that what it did to away member number 2? turn him into an engineer.
    May well be their way of reproducing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭Tayleur

just seen this and was unfortunately not impressed :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Looks to me like the black goo actually creates engineers, which may be how they populate a planet. Isn't that what it did to away member number 2? turn him into an engineer.
    May well be their way of reproducing.

what about the opening sequence where the goo liquefies one of them,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

what about the opening sequence where the goo liquefies one of them,

I don't think that was actually goo. Saying that maybe its a two stage thing, 1st create life on earth, wait for it to fill up, then introduce the goo, the end result being aliens.
    One thing that keeps coming back is the picture of the alien on the ship, this would infer some kind of idolatry, like they worshipped the alien which they may have thought was the ultimate in evolution.

I don't think that was actually goo. Saying that maybe its a two stage thing, 1st create life on earth, wait for it to fill up, then introduce the goo, the end result being aliens.
    One thing that keeps coming back is the picture of the alien on the ship, this would infer some kind of idolatry, like they worshipped the alien which they may have thought was the ultimate in evolution.

Yeh for what is supposed to be a cargo ship carrying bioweapons there sure is alot of that , whether its the giant Engineer bust that looms over the Alien goo vases to the mural on the ceiling and finally that wall mounted giger Alien.

Yeh for what is supposed to be a cargo ship carrying bioweapons there sure is alot of that , whether its the giant Engineer bust that looms over the Alien goo vases to the mural on the ceiling and finally that wall mounted giger Alien.

That stuff was in the temple structure, not the ship.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

That stuff was in the temple structure, not the ship.

i thought they were one and the same no ?

no the ship is at the end of the long underground tunnel leading away from the temple, where david went down to check the probe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

The map on prometheus showed a long tunnel from where the likes of the "mural room" was to where the ship was

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Those engineer dudes really can play the long game. Create life on Earth 3.5 billion years ago. Wait 3.49 billion years, not evolve yourself in that time and leave word for your Great great (times 3 million even if you assume they live for a thousand years) grandson to check back. Have a chat with the hominids, decide you don't like your creation and want to wipe it out, head back to your weapons factory moon to start stockpiling the final solution, leave word for your great great(times 35) grandson to expect visitors about 30,000 years after your death.......

A profound origin of the species backstory whether its the xenomorph or us is only profound if it makes sense. Neither origin story does.

A lot of what is being said in this thread is like saying that Indy 4 was a good film because of the themes and unanswered questions about the aliens at the end. BS !! The aliens at the end of Indy 4 no more excused the rest of the film than the origin themes in Prometheus and in both cases the alien themes didn't make sense anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Calibos wrote: »
    Those engineer dudes really can play the long game. Create life on Earth 3.5 billion years ago. Wait 3.49 billion years, not evolve yourself in that time and leave word for your Great great (times 3 million even if you assume they live for a thousand years) grandson to check back. Have a chat with the hominids, decide you don't like your creation and want to wipe it out, head back to your weapons factory moon to start stockpiling the final solution, leave word for your great great(times 35) grandson to expect visitors about 30,000 years after your death.......

image.png

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Anonymous User

I watched it the day it was released and now after reading this forum, I am glad that I am not the only one feeling disappointed by the movie. I quite like the special effect though.

For those who are still wondering whether the first act in the movie was about an Engineer who was sacrificing himself or being punished may want to read the interview with Daniel Twiss who played as Sacrifice Engineer in this

One thing that still bothers me until now is about 100% matched DNA. What are we supposed to think from it? That we are descendant of Engineer? Since we see the Engineer's body disintegrating in the water after drinking the liquid so I suppose anything kicked off by the sacrifice must have started from life in the water in the water. The sacrifice must have started all life and not just us, life that started in the water and then evolved into us.

However, plants' and animals' DNA don't match Engineer. So, what's the point of this 100% matched DNA at all? :confused:

Also the ship that they found in the original Alien film, that was full of facehugger eggs , but this ship was 1000's of years old ?

so these evolved separately, I thought this film was trying to say that the squid was an ancestor of the facehuggers ...

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Also the ship that they found in the original Alien film, that was full of facehugger eggs , but this ship was 1000's of years old ?

so these evolved separately, I thought this film was trying to say that the squid was an ancestor of the facehuggers ...

:confused:

Maybe it was. But they have remained basically the same for 1000's or even millions of years. Just look at crocodiles. Could be 1 line of aliens evolved form them, while some ancestors remained basically unchanged, or indeed they share a common ancestor.

Alien is set in 2122, and Prometheus a few years earlier in 2093.

So unless the aliens managed to evolve to the facehugger in the space of 30 years, which can pretty much state that the derelict and the ship in Prometheus are definitely not the same, and have not even travelled from the same original location. (i.e they have most likely evolved completely separately, in separate solar systems).

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭stakey

I think the worst part about Prometheus is I want(ed) to enjoy it so badly I think I did, but in retrospect I believe it was a massive disappointment.

My main issue before I even discuss the film itself was the marketing campaign. I can sort of blame myself here, but the ad campaign running up to this release pretty much let loose 60%+ of the plot of this film. It's almost like Scott shot some pretty awesome ads for the studio execs and was asked to put characters around it for a film.

Seriously though, so many parts of the film was spoiled by seeing the first 10-20 seconds of the event in the adverts.

The 3D added nothing to the film, particularly the space and ship landing scenes, these would've looked amazing on the iSense screen in 2D (IMHO).

As for the film itself, the plotline was a disaster, I'd agree wholeheartedly with Tim Kelly's description of 'fanwank'. It's a real shame because this universe and this story in particular really deserve a good story.

Tbh, I feel Scott was playing it safe here. Before the marketing campaign kicked in Scott spoke of the premise being about seeking out an ancient advanced civilisation that had a different notion of acting civilised. This sounded promising, Prometheus didn't deliver on that. The ancient aliens plot line is a dangerous route to take and if you're going to do it, make it groundbreaking, this wasn't.

On plot issues, I'm gonna read back through the thread a bit first. I don't want to rehash plot issues as I think a lot of it has been discussed but I really think a disservice was done to the Space Jockey and Alien mythos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

bullvine wrote: »
    Does the giant facehugger die after he shot his load? or does he have some epic battle with the proto alien.

For me a lot of the problems lie in the subtleness of the film, I only realised a lot of things in it by reading this thread which is not a good way to figure outta a film. I never copped that the alien cobra thing was just the worms in the ground that had become contaminated by the goo leaking. Makes sense now!

It dies after using the Engineer as a host who gives 'birth' to an Alien Queen?

• Advertisement
Advertisement