Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

computer build help(Radeon R280x)

Options
  • 27-07-2015 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

hi I am after building my first computer with my friend. when we had everything done my computer would display anything on the moniter(which works defo) I tried every connection on the GPU and the motherbord (VGA, HDMI ,DVDI). my friend 's computer work with the exact same parts and built the same way. i disconnected one of the power supply's(there is 2) to the GPU and the VGA cable worked(motherboard). i set it up and it works fine all except the graphic card . it is a Sapphire Radeon R280x. Anyone have any advice?? i also connected and diconected it but still the same result

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

So you've booted successfully from the motherboard?

In that case, your card is the prob. So, make sure it's securely fitted in the PCIE slot. Next, make sure it's connected properly to the PSU (it probably has 8+6 or 8+8 pin connections?).

Are the card's fans spinning when you turn on PC?

Are you using 2 power supplies btw? Is there a need for this? A 500 watt psu is enough for that setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 computerdick69

yeah i booted it successfully, the card lights up and the fans spin , its one power supply but there is two leads (PCI-E) and i have only one of them connected, because other wise the vga cable from the motherboard wont display anything either

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

yeah i booted it successfully, the card lights up and the fans spin , its one power supply but there is two leads (PCI-E) and i have only one of them connected, because other wise the vga cable from the motherboard wont display anything either

The graphics card should have both cables attached to it.

I know but when I attach both cables I have cant get a signal from any cable
    thanks for the reply tho

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Does the Motherboard have a IGU and does the PC boot when the 280x is disconnected?

• Advertisement

whats an IGU, yeah it does boot

Integrated Graphics Unit(IGU)

So it boots while plugged into the motherboard HDMI socket/VGA, with the GPU disconnected to the motherboard.
    Why are you using VGA? Not that it matters but it is old technology. You should use HDMI or DP.
    The card should only work with both the 8+6 pins connected or 8+8. Did your card come with adaptors to use a normal 4 pin PSU connections if so try with those just to see.

how do i know if the motherboard has an IGU(ASRockIIH97), I have a HDMI as well i will prob use that so. Ill try the adaptor so and see
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

What CPU do you have?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Is the Board the H97 Pro4?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I had the same issue with an Asrock board:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057091839

The solution was to go into the bios and change the PCI-E setting to Gen 2 instead of auto, reboot with your GPU connected and it should work.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

try booting with no video cables attached. I have a 280 which won't boot if a second monitor is attached. I can plug the cable in after and it works fine though

The solution was to go into the bios and change the PCI-E setting to Gen 2 instead of auto, reboot with your GPU connected and it should work

i see the PCI-E but the options are disable enable

when i plug it in after it is very loud ,like it has running very hard

I don't understand your last two posts. Is it working now that you changed the settings in bios?

i set PCIE to gen 2 and still no luck when i rebooted with it pluged in

You also said this PC is for a friend. Do you have a pc or someone else and just try that card in their pc and if it still does not work the card is at fault.

no he built the exact same one ,i will try that so tnks

is there any way to get a replacement card off Sapphire

Is the card at fault? Like did it not work in your system?

I have no idea about returns as I've been lucky and never had to. I think you have to contact who you purchased it from. Do not say HWVersand as they are gone bust.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Mrdata.

I dont know if this will be of any help but I had a similar issue with a 7970 ghz edition i bought recently which i believe is the same as a 280x. It would not detect the card even though the fans were spinning up so I could tell the card was working. My board is a ASRock P67 Pro3. I updated the motherboards bios from the website and after that it recognised the card.

no the system worked when i had only 1 PCI-E cable pluged in

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Mrdata.

When you say the system worked was it using the integrated graphics? I could get a signal through my card with the hdmi cable but when I checked gpuz or catalyst control centre it was not detecting the card it was just using the integrated graphics. Updating the bios from asrock website finally got the card detected.

Advertisement