Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Build issues

Options
  • 26-11-2013 9:09pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I got myself the following:

Asrock h87 pro4
    Hynix ddr3 10600 8gb (1 module)
    His 7850
    I3 4130 3.4 ghz
    1tb wd blue
    Corsair 500w power supply.

Now I have all put together but when I press the power all im getting is a cycle of 3 beeps. I have reseated everything and tried the ram in all the different slots as anything I found online said memory issue. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Did you plug the extra power cable from the power supply into the graphics card?

Are both mainboard power connections in?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

BloodBath wrote: »
    Did you plug the extra power cable from the power supply into the graphics card?

Are both mainboard power connections in?

Yes the fan on the gpu is spinning away no problem and both power to mmainboad are in.

Cpu fans spins fine

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

A quick scan of the web does suggest that that three beeps is the no memory installed code for an Asus board, if it makes the same beep pattern with no RAM installed that strongly suggests that the the RAM stick is completely DOA. If so the first step would be to try and get your hands on a known good stick off someone if possible to confirm its not the board.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

marco_polo wrote: »
    A quick scan of the web does suggest that that three beeps is the no memory installed code for an Asus board, if it makes the same beep pattern with no RAM installed that strongly suggests that the the RAM stick is completely DOA. If so the first step would be to try and get your hands on a known good stick off someone if possible to confirm its not the board.

yeah I was chancing me arm picking the ram up cheap so I had provisioned to buy another bit of ram which I should have on thursday so ill know then. I might be able to get some in work to make sure its not the board.

Ok, so i got a loan of some ram and my pc is alive :)
    however when I have the graphics card installed it boots with no display and to 5 bios beeps.
    without the graphics card i am up and running on the system with the onboard vga. I seen the gpu working when i bought it so know thats fine. Anyone any ideas on that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

You definitely have the 6/8 pin power connection connected to the card?

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Aka Ishur

you checked the power cable and its seated right?

yes its seated correctly and the 6 pin power is connected right. Bios is set to PCI-e as default vga.

Ok so if I leave the card in the slot and remove the power it will boot up on the onboard graphics and no beeps. Its as soon as I add the power to the card I get beeps. Should I take it all out of the case and try it?

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Aka Ishur

Well its clearly an issue with the card. Did you try in a different pci slot?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

You said this Gpu was working? Try it in another slot then a mate's.

Sucks you having these problems man.

You said this Gpu was working? Try it in another slot then a mate's.

Sucks you having these problems man.

Yeah i bought it from here at the weekend and was running 100%

I have a strange feeling the power supply is my problem. I am running this graphics card:

HIS 7850 IceQ X 2GB GDDR5
    http://www.hisdigital.com/un/product2-690.shtml

Have you any mates with a pc you can swap parts with?

Have you any mates with a pc you can swap parts with?

I might be able to get my hands on one. Sure i could sell the 500W to offset the cost of a new one, I do reckon thats the issue :)

jonny24ie wrote: »
    I might be able to get my hands on one. Sure i could sell the 500W to offset the cost of a new one, I do reckon thats the issue :)

Just to make sure its definitely the PSU and not the Gpu. I take it you already tried another PCI slot on the mobo.

Just to make sure its definitely the PSU and not the Gpu. I take it you already tried another PCI slot on the mobo.

only one PCI-e on the board

Guess you will have to see what is up when you try out your mates rig.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Never any harm in doing a CMOS reset for stuff like this, and if the PSU has two PCIe connectors try both of these. As the system is booting without the card at the moment I don't think there is any point in taking everything out the case.

Ideally if you can you should independently test all three possible culprits PCIe slot, PSU and GPU.

It was definitely working perfectly for the last 12 months for me :), but if you can't get it working in a second rig, get in touch with me via adverts and and I'll sort you out as it is still under warranty.

Ok a little update, finally got the card to display. I had to change it to gen2 in the bios settings??

Further investigation shows that the h87 chipset runs only pci-e 2.0 standard.

Ok a little update, finally got the card to display. I had to change it to gen2 in the bios settings??

Further investigation shows that the h87 chipset runs only pci-e 2.0 standard.

Pretty sure a H87 board should be able to do PCIe 3.0 X 16, I think it is only H81 that has the PCIe 2.0 limitation.

Although PCIe2 isn't going to hurt the performance of a HD7850, it might in a few years if you get a significant GPU upgrade.

• Advertisement

Pretty sure a H87 board should be able to do PCIe 3.0 X 16, I think it is only H81 that has the PCIe 2.0 limitation.

Although PCIe2 isn't going to hurt the performance of a HD7850, it might in a few years if you get a significant GPU upgrade.

It should be able to do PCIe 3 but obviously isnt. I read that asrock will send me a custom bios to fix the issue so I am going to email them shortly and see how I get on.
    I was up and running last night with the 7850 so i know that isnt at fault now I can work away on it.

It should be able to do PCIe 3 but obviously isnt. I read that asrock will send me a custom bios to fix the issue so I am going to email them shortly and see how I get on.
    I was up and running last night with the 7850 so i know that isnt at fault now I can work away on it.

I see so its a known issue with the board. Well at least you're up and running anyway so that s the main thing. :)

I see so its a known issue with the board. Well at least you're up and running anyway so that s the main thing. :)

Well not directly the h87 pro4 but asrock boards in general. I have the latest bios and a few searches on google "asrock 7850 gen2 pcie" shows that a good few people got custom bios's for the issue.

Glad nothing broke as such and you can at least get something done. Cheers for all the updates be handy for helping others.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Scirpt

Well not directly the h87 pro4 but asrock boards in general. I have the latest bios and a few searches on google "asrock 7850 gen2 pcie" shows that a good few people got custom bios's for the issue.
    Was about to post on my thread with an update on the same issue you have. Got a new monitor there still doesn't display anything when it's connected to the GPU. Can you direct me on how to get a custom bios, I have an Asrock Z77 Extreme 4-m.

Is it just downloading the latest off of the website for your board?

Scirpt wrote: »
    Was about to post on my thread with an update on the same issue you have. Got a new monitor there still doesn't display anything when it's connected to the GPU. Can you direct me on how to get a custom bios, I have an Asrock Z77 Extreme 4-m.

Is it just downloading the latest off of the website for your board?

Im not too sure tbh. I have the latest available from the website. I guess fill in the support form and see what they suggest?

Glad nothing broke as such and you can at least get something done. Cheers for all the updates be handy for helping others.

Well i seen no mention of it on here and with a few budget builds around they may run into the same types off issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Scirpt

Im not too sure tbh. I have the latest available from the website. I guess fill in the support form and see what they suggest?
    Yeah I found mine on the website a while ago when I was looking into it but when you said custom bios I thought it was a different thing altogether. Let me know how yours goes and good luck :)

Scirpt wrote: »
    Yeah I found mine on the website a while ago when I was looking into it but when you said custom bios I thought it was a different thing altogether. Let me know how yours goes and good luck :)

Yes custom bios is different. Im not too sure of the details as I have seen it mentioned a lot on the net so I will email them tonight and see what they say.

• Advertisement
Advertisement