Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Metro St Brigids 5k Dublin city centre - March 18

• 21-02-2012 11:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭

Last year's thread
    Race website
    race profile

Fast and flat 5k through the streets of Dublin, starting and finishing at the Mansion House. Who else is in?

Rate this race based on, Scenery, PB potential, Atmosphere, Value, Organisation 20 votes

5 stars (excellent)
    0%
    4 stars (good)
    85%
    Andrew 83DigiJempansopheliaOldBlokeTimmaayGrahamThomasclaralaradrquirkyCapricaracheljevBungy GirlRayCunMarthastewLaHainebike2wkrRunOnMTTruman Burbank 17 votes
    3 stars (average)
    5%
    gnu 1 vote
    2 stars (poor)
    10%
    vinny1313devotional1993 2 votes
    1 star (terrible)
    0%

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭OldBloke

4 stars (good)
    Im in. Did it last year and its a great run (I'm not as fast as everyone else here but still aiming to beat last years time of 30.15)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 151 ✭✭ac20

did it last year, great race indeed, well organised. Alas, with Barcelona Marathon the following week I will give it a miss this yr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I hope to be in for this. Doing the Blackppol marathon the week before but hope to be fully recovered and finally get the sub 19 monkey off my back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I'm in - 22:xx would be savage but I'll be happy with any PB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

4 stars (good)
    I'm defo in! Have big 5k race demons to lay to rest!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Did it the last 3 years but taking a break from doing it this year but a cracking event in the city centre. Well worth it.

In related news, anyone see anything about the 'Samsung run Dublin in the dark 10k' that was in the MetroHerald yesterday? Can't find anything when i Googled it last night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

4 stars (good)
    samsung night run

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

I'll be doing this also, great course and one of the few times that I know I gave it everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Woddle wrote: »
    I'll be doing this also, great course.

Looking back on it, it was a lovely course. I was asked afterwards what the route was and all I could remember was the Peppercanister church, the canal and the National Concert hall, but not what order we ran past them. It was a tough 23.38 minutes.

Cant wait to do it again !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,826 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Never worth a trip up from Tipperary or is it???

Flat and fast means i could get my seasons best 5k in early,not many flat 5k's down here..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Did this last year, but alas I will be in Mallow getting ready for the 10 miler when this is on.

Have entered the night run tho - sounds good :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Was supposed to do this last year but didn't. Might give it a go this year, as long as I'm not in PW (personal worst) shape!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

claralara wrote: »
    I'm defo in! Have big 50k race demons to lay to rest!

FYP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

I'll have a go at that. Anyone want to pass as my wife and kids to avail of the family discount? :D

4 stars (good)
    Aimman wrote: »
    I'll have a go at that. Anyone want to pass as my wife and kids to avail of the family discount? :D

Well now that we're such a progressive and open-minded country, having legislated for same-sex civil partnerships, how about you take Digdig as your lawfully partnered and then myself and one of the other young saplings on here can pretend to be the kiddies. Although in typical Irish style, we have not provided for same-sex adoption so I don't know how we would, in fact, get over that hurdle. Leave it with me… All in the name of discounted entry fees! ;)

4 stars (good)
    belcarra wrote: »
    FYP.

Haha. Do you think you can ever put 50k demons to rest? There's only so much time you can take off 24 minutes and 18 seconds such that you have to be happy, at some forseeable point, with a result. The damage you could do to 4 hours, 37 minutes and 23 seconds on the other hand, is endless. (Well, in theory…!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Well now that we're such a progressive and open-minded country, having legislated for same-sex civil partnerships, how about you take Digdig as your lawfully partnered and then myself and one of the other young saplings on here can pretend to be the kiddies. Although in typical Irish style, we have not provided for same-sex adoption so I don't know how we would, in fact, get over that hurdle. Leave it with me… All in the name of discounted entry fees! ;)

Well he's old enough to be your Dad anyway already :D:p:pac:

4 stars (good)
    Well he's old enough to be your Dad anyway already :D:p:pac:

And Brian took the bait of the cheap laugh instead of recognising the witty undertone of the comment which I put forward at my own expense! So much to learn young skywalker. You may be the second sapling!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Haha. Do you think you can ever put 50k demons to rest? There's only so much time you can take off 24 minutes and 18 seconds such that you have to be happy, at some forseeable point, with a result. The damage you could do to 4 hours, 37 minutes and 23 seconds on the other hand, is endless. (Well, in theory…!!)

The honeymoon period is over...It's been 4 days now and everyone wants to know when is the grudge match between yourself and RacoonQueen happening?
    Sky Sports are gonna be all over this!

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭leggit

alas, with the GAA finals and the 6 nations match against england being on the day before I doubt I'll be in any state to do this run this year!

Did it last year and really enjoyed it, suppose it will depend if I'm hungover or still drunk as to whether I'll do it or not :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭mike.l

Thinking of entering this with my wife, noticed a family ticket is 30 euro as opposed to 2 adult entries totalling 40 euro. can we avail of the family ticket?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

mike.l wrote: »
    Thinking of entering this with my wife, noticed a family ticket is 30 euro as opposed to 2 adult entries totalling 40 euro. can we avail of the family ticket?

Yes, my OH, Raycun emailed them & yes you can, but only on the day, family entry can not be purchased online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

Yes, my OH, Raycun emailed them & yes you can, but only on the day, family entry can not be purchased online.

Feck - I registered myself and my OH online already. It's his first ever race. I ran this last year and wasn't happy with my performance so I'm looking forward to coming back this year and giving it a lash!

runrabbit wrote: »
    Feck - I registered myself and my OH online already. It's his first ever race. I ran this last year and wasn't happy with my performance so I'm looking forward to coming back this year and giving it a lash!

Ditto, I got a cramp at about 800m last & dragged myself around in a heap of stitchy agony :mad: Can only get better this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

4 stars (good)
    Thinking of entering but wondering is it very congested or does it have PB potential (assuming one is in PB shape :o?). Anyone know if there are pens for the various time categories or is it a free for all ?

4 stars (good)
    Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Thinking of entering but wondering is it very congested or does it have PB potential (assuming one is in PB shape :o?). Anyone know if there are pens for the various time categories or is it a free for all ?

The elites were roped off last year, but other than that a free for all. RAL3 and I were standing a couple of rows back from the elites last year when a bunch of schoolkids hopped in beside/in front of us :rolleyes:
    But it thins out soon enough, the streets are fairly wide, and it's very flat with not a lot of sharp turns, so definite PB potential.

For after race refueling

from facebook - Carluccio's page

ME
    Any chance of a special deal for participants?
    http://www.msbac.ie/news/club-news/66-st-patricks-festival-5k-2012.html
    Like · · Yesterday at 12:41pm

Carluccio's Caffe Dawson Street likes this.
    Carluccio's Caffe Dawson Street Hi D, that's going to be a busy day for us but maybe we can something...
    Yesterday at 6:13pm · Like
    ME: Double discount for mums racing :D
    Yesterday at 6:14pm · Like
    Carluccio's Caffe Dawson Street yikes ! we did a thing for ladies proposing yesterday (leap year) and a few guys were put out!
    Yesterday at 6:24pm · Like
    Carluccio's Caffe Dawson Street how does a free dessert after your main course for anyone who finished the race sound?
    Yesterday at 6:25pm · Like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Bungy Girl wrote: »

I reckon I could be on for this being a PW for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

Looking forward to this. Done it last year and it was my first race, so will be interesting to see the improvement over 12 months. Although, done very little speed work in the last few months.

Also have a big contingent of C25K from the club doing it. It's been the target race of their training.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭mike.l

antomagoo wrote: »
    Looking forward to this.

Looking forward too....... Id say there is a good buzz around the city for this one and their website says record entries levels already,

Bring it on!!

I registered myself and my OH online already. It's his first ever race.

Annoyingly I now reckon I'd be doing well to keep up with my OH for this one - I'm banjaxed at the moment and he's gotten a lot faster on limited training (sickening really!). It's a pity I already talked myself up, otherwise I could pretend to "pace" him!

Hope we get a nice sunny day for this - today is a cracker!

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

4 stars (good)
    Myself and my GF have just signed up for this, it'll be our first 5k run (we've been doing the couch 2 5k program) and we're hoping to finish in 30 - 35 mins.

I was wondering whats the best way to make sure that we're starting off with people in the same time category as us? Don't want to be getting in the way of all the faster runners!

Also, will there be a bag drop at this years race? Very excited about Sunday, looks like it'll be a great afternoon.

4 stars (good)
    There's a bag drop in the Mansion House.
    You should join from the back, and you'll probably want to start about 100m from the front. A good rule of thumb is to see how much clothing the people around you are wearing -
    singlets + shorts = fast runners
    long-sleeved tops and tracksuit bottoms = slow runners and walkers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

4 stars (good)
    Anyone know when online registration closes? All the website says is "Before 16th", does that mean it closes at 12 midnight today?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭vinny1313

2 stars (poor)
    Anyone having difficulty registering for this online?

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    Timmaay wrote: »
    Anyone know when online registration closes? All the website says is "Before 16th", does that mean it closes at 12 midnight today?
    vinny1313 wrote: »
    Anyone having difficulty registering for this online?

Digger registered at about 11.30 last night no problem.

Says online registration open until 11pm tonight.

Think you can register on the morning too for the slightly increased fee of €25.

4 stars (good)
    RayCun wrote: »
    You should join from the back, and you'll probably want to start about 100m from the front. A good rule of thumb is to see how much clothing the people around you are wearing -

Three quarter length capris + commercial (nike/adidas/etc) vests = the inbetweeners who fancy themselves as runners but really have a long long way to go :rolleyes: See you there!

I’m seeking a PB – loathe to call it but would love love love to go sub 21:30…everything crossed!! Best of luck to all. And enjoy :)

4 stars (good)
    If you want to win, you have to show some skin ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

4 stars (good)
    Any predictions for your times? I've been well off form last few months, with work and all that, so going fairly ambitious with this time, but at least by sticking my neck on the line it might make me dig that bit deeper during the race to try achieve it ha!

Name - Predicted - Actual
    ClaraLara - 21:30 -
    Timmaay - 16:30 -

4 stars (good)
    RayCun - 19.10 -

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

RayCun - 19.10 -
    Rainbow Kirby - 23.00 -

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

RayCun - 19.10 -
    Rainbow Kirby - 23.00 -
    digger - 21.29 ;)

As I'm currently trying to recover in time for the Conn Ultra I'm under strict instructions to have a 'fun run' and finish no more than 1 metre in front of ClaraLara :)

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

Last year's race was my first race. I loved it and finished in 20:39. Since then I've joined a club and got some proper training in. I'd love to knock two mins off last years time but any sub 19 min time would be great

RayCun - 19.10 -
    Rainbow Kirby - 23.00 -
    digger - 21.29
    Cleanman - 18:39

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭gnu

3 stars (average)
    RayCun wrote: »

How did you find out about the bag drop? I've been trying to find out about practicalities (like toilets, changing facilities, what time I need to be there, do they have refreshments afterwards or should I bring my own) but couldn't find anything. Contacted the organisers but no reply.

Very impressed with all your time goals. My goal is just to finish (yep, that's a long sleeved top etc unless it's roasting)! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

4 stars (good)
    RayCun - 19.10 -
    Rainbow Kirby - 23.00 -
    digger - 21.29
    Cleanman - 18:39
    Dr. Quirkey- 17:02

First race since the baby and the training hasn't been the best the last few weeks lol. Still- gonna give it a bash- I think my time could wildly swing based on how much she sleeps the night before!

gnu wrote: »
    How did you find out about the bag drop? I've been trying to find out about practicalities (like toilets, changing facilities, what time I need to be there, do they have refreshments afterwards or should I bring my own) but couldn't find anything. Contacted the organisers but no reply.

Very impressed with all your time goals. My goal is just to finish (yep, that's a long sleeved top etc unless it's roasting)! :)

We've done the race the last 2 years :) They are all set up in the Mansion House so you can get changed there in the bathrooms. There are also portaloos on Molesworth St for toilet needs. No refreshments after asfair - apart from what's in your goody bag (you get this when you collect your number so will be left in bag drop).

hth

No refreshments after asfair - apart from what's in your goody bag (you get this when you collect your number so will be left in bag drop).

There were plenty of biscuits and tea/coffee in the mansion house after the race last year

There were plenty of biscuits and tea/coffee in the mansion house after the race last year

Oops, sorry :o
    We shall treat oursleves to lunch in Carlucccios after :) Glass of wine after race = mad buzz :D

Oops, sorry :o
    We shall treat oursleves to lunch in Carlucccios after :) Glass of wine after race = mad buzz :D

Good call - I shall be heading for a pint myself this year! I'm barely able to run so I might as well have something to look forward to at the end!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭gnu

3 stars (average)
    Great! Thanks for all the info folks, glad to be in the company of seasoned pros!

Does it start at 12? And what time should I pick up my race number - don't want to be waaaay too early and hanging around getting nervous!

• Advertisement
Advertisement