Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cube mountain bikes?

Options
  • 06-01-2015 8:40pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm coming back to mountain biking after a very long gap. Went to look at a few bikes and Cube has been recommended to me. I'm told they are extremely popular as they are great value for money. Built in Germany and great components for the price.

Looking at the Cube acid: http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Cube-Acid-27-5-Mountain-Bike-2015-Hardtail-MTB_73357.htm

Any thoughts?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Zascar wrote: »
    I'm coming back to mountain biking after a very long gap. Went to look at a few bikes and Cube has been recommended to me. I'm told they are extremely popular as they are great value for money. Built in Germany and great components for the price.

Looking at the Cube acid: http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Cube-Acid-27-5-Mountain-Bike-2015-Hardtail-MTB_73357.htm

Any thoughts?
    Thanks.

Nice bikes, well built and fair prices. Been looking for an excuse to buy one myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭pot p

Had a cube ams a few years back, was a decent bike if not a little on the heavy side, but it was a rocket down the trails. Only problem I have with the new breed is the paint jobs. If u can handle that u won't be disappointed

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

True, the blue and Orange is a bit crazy, but it's kind of growing on me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭JBokeh

Probably the best value MTBs you can get,You're paying the price of an entry level MTB and you're getting a whole lot more spec than any of the offerings from the other brands in that price bracket.

Only thing I'd be wary of is the Manitou fork,not saying they are rubbish,but they could be hard to get serviced. I've no experience of getting one serviced so it could be really easy and anyone will do it, and i'm only talking guff. A chap we go riding with has one on his bike and I would put it in the same range as the reba one on one of my hard tails but slightly better,but his hasn't needed rebuilt or any maintenance either. If you do get something with a rockshox aim for the "solo air" or "monition" control dampers,and avoid the "turn key" ones that come on some cubes,those are like pogo sticks no matter how much you adjust them

All the other gear on the bike seems brilliant,especially the group set and the 27.5 wheels,those are the in thing at the minute and they feel fast on trails too

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Thanks for your comments - very helpful. So before I order this are there any other bikes I should consider?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Have a Cube Ltd Pro the past 4 years, have had it out mountain biking in Ballyhoura a good few times, nothing gone wrong with it yet, i do keep up with its maintenance fairly well.

A great bike, i would happily tell others to try them. I think the annodized finishes are great as an alternative to paintwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭C3PO

JBokeh wrote: »
    Probably the best value MTBs you can get,You're paying the price of an entry level MTB and you're getting a whole lot more spec than any of the offerings from the other brands in that price

Wouldn't agree with you there!

http://www.canyon.com/en/mountainbikes/bike.html?b=3640

Thanks, so that looks really nice! But two questions. A lot of the naming conventions around groupset etc is new to me so I'm not sure what is better on what bike for a lot of it. Second, I'm getting this in the bike to work scheme, can I get this in Ireland?

Thanks, so that looks really nice! But two questions. A lot of the naming conventions around groupset etc is new to me so I'm not sure what is better on what bike for a lot of it. Second, I'm getting this in the bike to work scheme, can I get this in Ireland?

Canyon are only available online. Technically you can buy from Canyon on the Cycle to Work Scheme but I know some people on here have had problems doing so. Your first link was not an Irish shop either!

Unfortunately the scheme I'm in only lets me buy from Irish stores. The link I used was just an example, my local bike shop stocks Cube bikes, they have an Acid just in a bigger size, but they can order and have one in a few days.

I do really like the bike and very happy with the spec, probably more than I need considering - I just want to make sure I'm not missing out on something that could be way more suitable for the money!

The only thing I'm not crazy about is the colour really. Just wondering if there are any alternitives that have a similar-ish spec - but maybe looks a bit better? Any suggestions?

This looks great but the components are not nearly as good: https://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=80743

Or maybe this? http://www.giant-dublin.ie/en-ie/bikes/model/talon.29er.1/20105/79437/#overview

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭ugsparky

just bought a cube attention SL 29 inch - brilliant on and off road - I'm using it to keep going through the winter as our roads are in muck and shi - ite with a liberal sprinkling of potholes. Only used it along a dis-used railway path but I'll try a few trails as well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭Ryath

My thread on Mtbs in that price range a few weeks ago.

Finally settled on the Cube Ltd pro 27.5 and ordered it yesterday.
    http://www.fitzcycles.ie/p/2140/cube-ltd-pro
    http://www.cube.eu/uk/bikes/mtb-hardtail/ltd/cube-ltd-pro-275-blackline-2015/

Think it's well worth the extra €100 main difference is the fork the reba is much better from what I've read. The crankset and shifters are a step up as well.

Thanks Ryath. I literally just order the Acid but now you've opened my eyes! I prefer the colour definitely, but is it worth the extra €100 - providing I am still able to change my order?? Would you mind explaining the main differences in groupset etc between this and the acid? :)
    Thanks

The fork is the main difference the acids fork is an entry level manitou while the rockshox reba is a mid level fork that seems very highly thought of. Parts are easier get, cheaper and more places service rock shox. The shifters and cranks are slx they probably shift marginaly better and the crank is prettier and would be slightly lighter. I actually quite like the acid colour scheme in the long the more subdued ltd is probably better though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

The Acid is (was?) the main bike that the rental place at Ballyhoura used, so taking a spin down there would allow you to try one out......http://www.trailriders.ie/

A call to them would possibly give you some of their input/experience.....

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    The Acid is (was?) the main bike that the rental place at Ballyhoura used, so taking a spin down there would allow you to try one out......http://www.trailriders.ie/

A call to them would possibly give you some of their input/experience.....

They were mostly analogs when I was down there last month though I think there was a few higher spec cube hardtails there. The geometry on the ltd is slightly different than the lower spec cubes it has a slightly longer toptube and shorter headtube.

Thanks guys appreciate the feedback. Looking at it I do think I want to go for the Ltd Pro - for all those reasons, better forks, shifters, few other bits plus it looks nicer I think. Looks less "Steal Me" anyway than the Acid haha (my last bike got nicked before it ever saw a mountain) so that's a factor!

There are some tiny differences in geometry - would that make much difference to me? Is the Ltd pro more of a race bike? I just want a good all rounder for a bit of fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

Cube make great bikes, also worth a look though...if there's any around of course - is the entry level focus MTB's, I got a focus black raider 2.0, it had a better spec then the cube at the time and was cheaper. I rode it for about a year before getting my full sus bike but it held up very well to a lot of punishment and I always enjoyed the ride on it, think I paid about 800 euro minus the bike to work scheme discount. This is the one I got.

Thanks guys appreciate the feedback. Looking at it I do think I want to go for the Ltd Pro - for all those reasons, better forks, shifters, few other bits plus it looks nicer I think. Looks less "Steal Me" anyway than the Acid haha (my last bike got nicked before it ever saw a mountain) so that's a factor!

There are some tiny differences in geometry - would that make much difference to me? Is the Ltd pro more of a race bike? I just want a good all rounder for a bit of fun :)

I would definitely pay the extra for the Rebas!

Placed the Order today! :D

Thanks for the advice! Much happier now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Hilux2005

I have a 2014 Cube Acid 29er and i love its a very comfortable bike for long rides.

Advertisement