Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hardtail MTB for €1000-1300

Options
  • 19-12-2014 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭

Have the bike to work available again in the new year so have been busy researching my options for the last few months but the time has come to make a decision. Already have 3 road bikes so was trying to decide between a MTB or Cyclocross bike. Pretty much set on a MTB now though if a hydraulic disc braked cross bike was available in my budget I'd be tempted. ~€1500 for a Cube one is about as cheap as they get and it is more of a leisure cx bike. I'll probably end up with both in the future but I'll wait for hydraulic brakes to drop in price.

Went to Ballyhoura for the first time a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it so reckon a MTB is the best option. Want to get into it more especially if the Sliabh Bloom trails open. Would also like to try out some of the easier trails in Bikepark Ireland. Can also use it for B Cx races to try that out and it will also be used for family spins on the likes of the Mayo greenway or around Lough Boora.

Best bang for buck seems be the Cube LTD Pro 27.5 @€;1049 or the 29er for the same price. Spec wise is unbeatable value mostly shimano xt and slx with a Rockshox reba fork. Only weak point really is I would prefer if the front had a thru axel not a quick release. Have to go to the Reaction Pro HPA 29 to get one with Cube which is over budget @ €1600 though I can probably get 10% of that.

Two nearest spec options I can find are a
    Cannondale Trail 1 @€;1430
    or Lapierre Pro Race 327 @ €1350
    Slightly lower spec Rock shox recon gold fork and couple of bits of the groupset are slightly lower spec. The Lapierre does have a thru axel though. Are they better frames than the Cube though some reviews have said it is harsh and stiff more of a race xc focused machine and not as much fun as some. Had a much lower spec cube 26er rental in Ballyhoura and it felt pretty good to me though it had been 7 years or so since I'd been on a MTB. My old Specialized Rockhopper would definitely have been easier pull wheelies on.

Another that interests me is a different style of MTB bike a long travel 29er hardtail MTB the Kona Taro @ €1299 seems to be better able for more abuse and more technical work. Meant to handle very well for a 29er. Should be able for a lot more of the trails in Bikepark Ireland. Well specced for the important bits RockShox Sektor Silver 130mm with a thru axel though it is a single speed on the front so would need to change to chainring if I ever tried a CX race on it. |Always liked Kona's spent many a day admiring them in Cycological years ago.

Cube ltd pro seems the best option and leaves me with money to pick up a few bits of MTB kit need a new spd shoes, helmet, shorts jersey and maybe some armour. Only question if I choose it is whether to go with 27.5 or 29er. I'm 174cm so bit worried I'd find a 29er a bit of a handfull. The kona 29er seems like it would be fine but with a normal xc bike I'd be worried. Better for cross and spins on good surfaces. Think I would prefer to have the better handling bike really enjoyed pushing on the descents in Ballyhoura.

I can probably get around 10% of the cannondale or lapiere though so they would only be around €150 more than the cube. Don't think lbs has much of a margin on the cube to give a discount on it though he said he could on the dearer models.

Sorry for the long post just trying to get some things clear in my head.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

have you looked at canyon?

something like the grand canyon looks to be good value.

(but i know very little about mtbs)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,619 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Go for what's cheapest, save money for a CX bike...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

lennymc wrote: »

Lenny is not wrong

Grand Canyon AL 29 5.9 €799

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭Ryath

lennymc wrote: »

Had looked at Grand Canyon 6.9 @ 999 but to my untrained eye it seems to be pretty similar spec to the Cube ltd Pro and only available in 29er. Wheels are better and it is a bit lighter. Not sure on BTW with canyon work give a cheque and canyon use a bank transfer. They possibly would facilitate it but I'd prefer to spend the money in one of my LBS I know the lads well through racing and tours and they have sorted me out in pinch more than a once and often for free.
    Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Go for what's cheapest, save money for a CX bike...

Despite your dig in the OT thread I need your advice you are more knowledgeable than most around here about MTBs. I have three bikes already much more suitable to commuting and I don't own a stitch of day glo gear bar one base layer :D

Don't really need a cyclocross bike it would be a luxury to be raced a few times a year don't even have a bike suitable to try it at the minute. Only a handful of races near me other wise I need to travel to Dublin I may next year have the time be to but I'll prob just get a cheap cross frame I have most of the other bits to build one.

MTB is the best buy. It will be used mostly for trails I can see myself going regularly to Ballyhoura and other trail centres. Half the trails in Bikepark are doable on a hard tail and I'll rent a full suspension if want to try the black runs.

Really just want the best hardtail I can get for my money I would spend up to €1500/1600 if I thought it was worth it. The cube @1050 is as well specced as bikes that cost €1800 is it decent enough or would you go for any other options I listed or would you recommend something else? A full suspension would be nice but a decent one is really are bit over budget

It will be occasionally used for a bit of greenlaning with the kids and maybe the odd cross race but it certainly wont be it's main purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,369 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Canyon have a nice looking full suss for a good price.

nerve-al-6_c1094.png

http://www.canyon.com/en/mountainbikes/bike.html?b=3573

• Advertisement

Right so, tbh at the €1000 - €1500 range the difference is really in the forks and some of the components, the frames are usually all the same Aluminum.

Canyon will be the best value.

29ers while naturally being heavier, esp. at a lower price range, will be more stable on downhill trails, and will roll over rough ground better than smaller wheels...

Also consider the Giant Talon, you get a Fox fork with it..and lighter 27.5" wheels.
    Giant Dublin have a sale of 2014 models also..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

I have the 2009 version of the cube ltd pro 26 with reba fork and it is used exactly as you describe. Really good fun an ideal for what you describe.

Is there a benefit in getting tubless ready wheels now and maybe a dropper seatpost rather than paying to upgrade later?

Did you try posting in madmtb?

I would definitely buy hardtail whether you chose 29 or 27.5.

Where are you based?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Couple of things FWIW.

Most definitely get a mtb. While I mainly use a road bike, I get out maybe 50 times a year on mtb abd the fun/buzz is incomparable. I never come back without a smile. It is tough work but great fun, like being 12 again!

You really need to keep on top of maintenance, mtbs used in the muck need care. I just changed, chain, cables, headset bearings after just 900km.

I used head to Ballyhoura but at just over an hour away, between travel and getting organised a 3hr spin was a minimum of 6hr day. I started exploring local woods which are on my door. They are quite large but 3 years later I'm still finding roads, drops etc. I've spent my chilhhood and 20s hiking in the same hills and thought I knew them;I hadn't a clue. The country must be full of similar mountainous woods.

Heading off now for 2hr spin.

Enjoy whatever bike you get

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Beer Assistant

Facebook : buy and sell mtb Ireland

Good deals on there.

Right so, tbh at the €1000 - €1500 range the difference is really in the forks and some of the components, the frames are usually all the same Aluminum.

Canyon will be the best value.

29ers while naturally being heavier, esp. at a lower price range, will be more stable on downhill trails, and will roll over rough ground better than smaller wheels...

Also consider the Giant Talon, you get a Fox fork with it..and lighter 27.5" wheels.
    Giant Dublin have a sale of 2014 models also..

Thanks for the advice
    Had considered the Giant looks like good value but had kind of decided to stick with rock shox as from what I've read are cheaper and a lot more places to service them.

Finding it very hard to look the past the cube ltd pro it has the best fork a few bits of groupset are better as well and is a lot cheaper. The canyons do offer slightly better value Grand Canyon slx @ 1350 or nerve full suspension@ 1450 delivered are tempting but I'm not sure if I can use my BTW and I want to buy in local bike shop if I can.

Can't see it being worth spending the extra on the Lapiere or Cannondale with a lower spec fork unless you reckon the frames are worth it or getting the front thru axel. The Kona taro interest's me though it's not that much more and seems like it would take more abuse and better for more aggressive trails and a bit of down hill.

Would you go for the 27.5 or 29 in the cube?
    ford2600 wrote: »
    I have the 2009 version of the cube ltd pro 26 with reba fork and it is used exactly as you describe. Really good fun an ideal for what you describe.

Is there a benefit in getting tubless ready wheels now and maybe a dropper seatpost rather than paying to upgrade later?

Did you try posting in madmtb?

I would definitely buy hardtail whether you chose 29 or 27.5.

Where are you based?

Thanks for the feedback.

The kona is the only one with tubeless ready rims and routing for a dropper seatpost.

No haven't posted on Mad spend enough time on boards with out adding another forum!

Based in Westmeath so nothing on my doorstep. Hopefully the Blooms trail centre gets up and running soon Though one of the local lads has a few loops on bog roads and across fields and farm trails he will show me.
    Facebook : buy and sell mtb Ireland

Good deals on there.

That's a closed group assume it is just for second hand gear using BTW but thanks for the link may be looking for something else down the line

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

full suspension is the way to go, draatic difference, not to mention your ass will thank you! Speciailized al the way for me

Ryath wrote: »
    Would you go for the 27.5 or 29 in the cube?

That's the Million Euro question! :D

I've had a 29er Full suss and the next year got the 27.5" version which I like better...

From looking at what you're gonna use it for, I would say if the 29er Cube is the best value then go for it, just make sure the sizing is correct, i.e. the bike doesn't feel too big or awkward...You won't be sorry whichever choice you go for, though if under 6ft then the 27.5" is the best bet....

full suspension is the way to go, draatic difference, not to mention your ass will thank you! Speciailized al the way for me

While full suss bikes are almost as light as some hardtails, there's a lot more maintenance required, an additional shock to service and pivot bearings to replace, especially over the long Irish winter when they'll need to be serviced a lot more.. The HT is fast simple and durable...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Radon bikes are very good value despite being named after something that can kill you.

http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/radon-zr-team-27.5-8.0-le-237431/wg_id-6198

€1030ish when you count delivery. 27.5 inch wheels, Reba fork and most of the kit is XT except for the cassette, chain, disc rotors and front derailleur being deore.

Tenzor07 covered the reasons why not! Like specialized mtbs and loved my old rockhopper but have you looked at their price list recently? Price has gone up and spec has gone down every year. They really offer very poor value for money at least at entry level/midrange
    That's the Million Euro question! :D

I've had a 29er Full suss and the next year got the 27.5" version which I like better...

From looking at what you're gonna use it for, I would say if the 29er Cube is the best value then go for it, just make sure the sizing is correct, i.e. the bike doesn't feel too big or awkward...You won't be sorry whichever choice you go for, though if under 6ft then the 27.5" is the best bet....

Reckon the cube is the best option. At 5' 8 and a bit I'm probably better of on the 27.5 I'll get a spin on both back to back to see which I prefer. I had a quick spin around the car park and up and down a ramp a few weeks ago of last years 29er model with a manitou fork. It did feel big and a bit strange but it's been years since I was on bike with suspension. I'm very used to road bikes and narrow bars now so the bobbing and wide grip felt really weird at first.

Any opinion on the kona taro?

Radon bikes are very good value despite being named after something that can kill you.

http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/radon-zr-team-27.5-8.0-le-237431/wg_id-6198

€1030ish when you count delivery. 27.5 inch wheels, Reba fork and most of the kit is XT except for the cassette, chain, disc rotors and front derailleur being deore.

That is savage value if I wasn't using my bike to work I'd be very tempted.

Ryath wrote: »
    Any opinion on the kona taro?

Seems to be a great all-rounder, less twitchy compared to the Cube, better on the downhill sorta stuff... good standover height and short chainstays... Again, make sure 29er's suit you before you buy...

Advertisement