Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CAGE CONTENDER XIII : BELFAST : 28 APRIL 2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Spideog Rua

roro1neil0 wrote: »
    this is a mismatch based on paper, a huge one. but it happens in mma fairly regularly at different levels (brock lesnar etc.).

the proof will be in the pudding, the good thing about mma, if it is a mismatch, you won't get a guy getting the ****e kicked out of him for 10 rounds, it will be over in the first minute.

having said that i don't beleive in awarding foolhardiness but i understand from the grape vine that jorge couldn't get anyone else to fight and greg probably doens't have too many volunteers either.

it's a sporting mismatch but i don't think there is any real 'danger'

Good post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭nino1

Personally I think Cage Contender should be ashamed of themselves for putting a guy who has lost a quarter of his fights by submission, in the cage with a BJJ black belt. Hang your head John Ferguson.

its not a bjj fight, its an mma fight between probably irelands most experienced fighter against probably the least experienced mma fighter in ireland.

jorge is a big boy and decided that he wanted to take the fight but just because he is a bjj black belt doesnt mean its not a mismatch.

most pure bjj practioners (and jorge much prefers gi to no-gi) take around 2 years training mma before they take their first fight and then get matched to a similiarly experienced opponent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭John Ferguson

nino1 wrote: »

just out of curiosity how much info do the promotion look for when matching fighters such as length of time training etc?

We try to gather as much information as possible from the beginning. Things like MMA record, total combat experience, length on time training, level of expertise in their own disciplines, walk about weigh, size of last minute weight cut, length of time training, who they have been trained by, details of martial arts success and at what level, age, height and anything else we can gather.

It's only when we have assessed all details and are happy that a potential match balances we move to giving both sets of coaches/manager all of the details and let them look at the oponnents etc. Then coaches discuss with the fighters then come back to us with a possible yes. The last step then is to discuss the financials, ticketing and so on. When everyone is in agreement we have a match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

nino1 wrote: »
    its not a bjj fight, its an mma fight between probably irelands most experienced fighter against probably the least experienced mma fighter in ireland.

jorge is a big boy and decided that he wanted to take the fight but just because he is a bjj black belt doesnt mean its not a mismatch.

most pure bjj practioners (and jorge much prefers gi to no-gi) take around 2 years training mma before they take their first fight and then get matched to a similiarly experienced opponent.

Agreed, but Tony in Lucan know's his guy and feels he has a shot, it's worth noting that getting Jorge a match would be extremely hard and mainly only experienced lads would be willing to get in with him anyway.

I know who I think will win but been high level at BJJ gives Jorge a chance.

Also it is not like they don't know what they are getting into and are arriving to a mismatch on the day that was a set up.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

Personally I think Cage Contender should be ashamed of themselves for putting a guy who has lost a quarter of his fights by submission, in the cage with a BJJ black belt. Hang your head John Ferguson.

10 of his 18 losses have been by submission. And this was a sizeable issue with the Loughran camp when it was offered to them. They took alot longer to take the fight than Lucan did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Plastikman_eire

10 of his 18 losses have been by submission.

Yeah, but slightly over a 1/4 of his total fights.

I think this will be more competitive than people expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭roro1neil0

10 of his 18 losses have been by submission. And this was a sizeable issue with the Loughran camp when it was offered to them. They took alot longer to take the fight than Lucan did.

if i was greg's manager i wouldn't take the fight either. he touts himself (and rightfully so imo) as Ireland's best fighter but if he loses to a 0-0 brazilian he will look **** and will find it harder to get big fights internationally. if he wins he gets a win over a bjj blackbelt who is 0-0, a nice feather for the cap but not worth the risk.

he's probably itching for a scrap and doesn't want the training and dieting to be for nothing so he is taking what ever fight he can.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭wingnut4

Correct me if im wrong, i may be, but was it not the last cage contenders or the one before where Norman Park took apart a BJJ Blackbelt from Scotland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

wingnut4 wrote: »
    Correct me if im wrong, i may be, but was it not the last cage contenders or the one before where Norman Park took apart a BJJ Blackbelt from Scotland?
    That was Cage Contender 11 and it was Marcos Nardini who was 2-1 i think when he fought Norman Parke.

• Advertisement

wingnut4 wrote: »

Norman had a game plan that he stuck to and it worked well. He kept it standing for the 3 and refused to go to ground. If it had got to ground it may have been a different out come.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

Pretty much everyone would look like a novice when their record is placed alongside Greg's. He is rightly revered as one of Ireland's best ever, and was a trailblazer for the sport.

However look just a couple of fights up the card and you'll see an ADCC champ, UFC vet, Pride vet taking on Rod Moore, and no one is shouting mismatch.

Why is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 294 ✭✭Kieran81

darced wrote: »

same logic could be applied for someone who's signed up to fight a ufc vet , a former adcc absolute champ and reigning divisional champ , they might have been in with plenty before, but none can compare to what lister can bring .

i'm still very interested to see how both fights unfold

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭nino1

darced wrote: »

i agree. I think both are mismatches but it is more dangerous for Jorge because its his first ever mma fight.

Look personally my money's on Loughran and the form would always suggest that. My point is that Jorge Santos is a grown up, Lucan MMA are grown ups, they've had plenty of fighters in shows at high levels in Irish MMA, so I don't see why people have suddenly got the hump about this match. From what I hear they both had trouble getting matched up.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭MMA Lucan

There's no doubt it's a very tough debut for Jorge, & it is true that finding a match up for him at any level was very tough. But don't judge him based on what you think you know about him. No Lucan fighter enters the octagon unprepared, & you have to consider the calibre of guys Jorge has been working with on a daily basis for the past few months -

Henry Fadipe (Pro mma & Pro K1)
    Blaine O'Driscoll (Cage Contender semi pro of the year, ISKA G'n'P champ)
    Aslan Bisayev (Pro K1, Pro Muay Thai)
    Fabio Viti (Pro K1, 2/1 mma)
    Anzor Atsaev (3/0 mma, All Ireland boxing Semi finalist)
    Islam Bisayev (Pro Muay Thai)

That's just to name a few. Jorge has a great team of guys to work with.

I'm not going to get into a debate, & regardless people will voice they're opinions, but there will be no more replies from our side. But if we felt Jorge wasn't ready, he wouldn't be entering the octagon.

John Ferguson is a true professional who cares about the sport, & would not put his own reputation on the line for the sake of a fight. He knows our fighters & how well prepared they are when they attend Cage Contender. Thanks

Ahead of Cage Contender XIII in association with FIGHTSHOP.com we have gathered some quotes from interested parties and fans
    Great fighters, great entertainment, great show! - Stephen McCourt, Fighter & fan
    Being a big fan of MMA, I'm looking forward to attending Ireland's biggest MMA event, CCXIII this month! Fantastic fight card lined up, this event is not to me missed! Good luck to the boys from FAI! - Patrice O'Hagan, Leisure Industry Academy
    Its Go Time for Cage Contender! I cant wait for CCXIII! This card is one of the best ever, and the fans in Belfast are second to none! Don't miss this one boys and girls its will be an amazing night! - Bret "Holywood" Freeman
    It doesn't matter how good the last one was , because Cage Contender put on a better show each time. Can't wait to interview Dean Lister! - Andrew McGahon, Journalist & Fan
    Cage Contender are forever improving as an MMA promotion and their cards get better with every show. CCXIII is no exception; not only do we get to see another three rounds of action between Wain and Robinson, but we also get to see submission wizard Dean Lister fight on Irish soil. Unmissable! - Mike Clarke, The Fight Lounge
    Belfast loves a fight... And this card is full of potential barn burners. It won't disappoint. As an MMA fan, I can't wait! Watch out for The Hooligan, JMS and Levi Kehoe! - Cathal Pendred, Cage Contender Welterweight Champion
    Sbg's fighters are ready to put on a great show for Irelands no.1 promotion - John Kavanagh

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭wingnut4

This actually looks like the best card to date. There will be some cracking fights. Greg Loughran fight will be interesting, never underestimate any fighter, thats what i say!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭mmmm...not sure

Whats the final fight card for this? Has Karl Moore got a fight what a talent he is hope to see him in action at this

Whats the final fight card for this? Has Karl Moore got a fight what a talent he is hope to see him in action at this

Will be announcing Karl's match up tomorrow. The pro card on the CC website (LINK) is always the first place that we update.

Karl is a great talent and in my view for what it's worth could have a great future in MMA!

The Boogeyman getting ready at Functional Patterns ahead of meeting Rodney this coming weekend

Some clips from the CCXIII press event!!

Some clips from the CCXIII press event!!

Awesome!

The guys look in great shape. I hope they prove my predictions wrong!

if that's the extent of lister's training, doing some drill with a jkd fitness instructor maybe rod has a chance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭SBG Ireland

roro1neil0 wrote: »
    if that's the extent of lister's training...

yeah its probably not though

yeah he probably did a couple of weeks training else where, wonder if he will come in in shape

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭SevereMMA

I think Alan Belcher said on the MMA hour that he was training with Lister for his fight with Palhares in May

***** CAGE CONTENDER XIII in association with FIGHTSHOP.com *****

200304.jpg

CAGE CONTENDER HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE
    Neil "Old Skool" Wain -v- Colin "Big C" Robinson (Next Gen NI)

MIDDLEWEIGHT
    Rodney Moore (Next Gen NI) -v- Dean "The Boogeyman" Lister

BANTAMWEIGHT GRAND PRIX
    Damien "The Rage" Rooney -v- Paddy "The Holigan" Holohan (SBGi)

LIGHTWEIGHT
    Greg "The Hitman" Loughran (EFR/Next Gen NI) -v- Jorge Santos (MMA Lucan)

MIDDLEWEIGHT
    John Michael Shiel (SBGi) -v- Conor "DaCrook" Cooke (Red Dragon)

PRELIM CARD

FEATHERWEIGHT
    Stephen Kilfin (FAI) -v- Marty Kayas (Ind)

LIGHTWEIGHT
    Joe McColgan (FAI) -v- Levi Kehoe (SBGi)

BANTAMWEIGHT
    Gavin "Heamie" Kelly (Evolve) -v- Dee Dee Murray (FAI)

LIGHTWEIGHT
    Fran O Kelly (Coolmine BJJ) -v- Martin Kelly (PHK)

HEAVYWEIGHT
    Nial Houston (FAI) -v- Piotr Nowaki (CSC)

We have had a few last minute injuries so I hope this is the final fight card :D.

In advance of the event I would like to thank all of the coaches, fighters and clubs involved!!

• Advertisement

Is it doors at 6pm, fights 7pm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Really wish I was going to this tonight! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭jitz

Great night of fights, Wain hits like a truck and great KO from Holohan, some cracking fights looking forward to the next one :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Got results?

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Stephen_King

Barry Oglesbys twitter gottem methinks.

Got results?
    Yeah anybody have results from this? Raging I couldn't make it to the event.

Barry Oglesbys twitter gottem methinks.

What's Barry's exact twitter name?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Dean09 wrote: »
    Yeah anybody have results from this? Raging I couldn't make it to the event.

Thrown together from Barrys twitter updates

CAGE CONTENDER HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE
    Neil "Old Skool" Wain -v- Colin "Big C" Robinson (Next Gen NI) RD1 KO

MIDDLEWEIGHT
    Rodney Moore (Next Gen NI) -v- Dean "The Boogeyman" Lister Heel Hook RD3

BANTAMWEIGHT GRAND PRIX
    Damien "The Rage" Rooney -v- Paddy "The Holigan" Holohan (SBGi) Rd1 KO

LIGHTWEIGHT
    Greg "The Hitman" Loughran (EFR/Next Gen NI) -v- Jorge Santos (MMA Lucan) 2nd Rd TKO

MIDDLEWEIGHT
    John Michael Shiel (SBGi) -v- Conor "DaCrook" Cooke (Red Dragon)

PRELIM CARD

FEATHERWEIGHT
    Stephen Kilfin (FAI) -v- Marty Kayas (Ind)

LIGHTWEIGHT
    Joe McColgan (FAI) -v- Levi Kehoe (SBGi) Decision

BANTAMWEIGHT
    Gavin "Heamie" Kelly (Evolve) -v- Dee Dee Murray (FAI) UDecision

LIGHTWEIGHT
    Fran O Kelly (Coolmine BJJ) -v- Martin Kelly (PHK) UDecision

HEAVYWEIGHT
    Nial Houston (FAI) -v- Piotr Nowaki (CSC)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

Paddy H pulled out a sick performance. Did not realise how good his standup was

Rod put in a massive performance. Got dominated in round one. From then on he was winning. Landed some nice shots.

Roof was ready to blow off the hall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

When and where will this be broadcasted? Will Dean Lister be fighting for CC again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

Rod versus JMS

Next show.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 381 ✭✭manga_10

Would love to see holohan vs mcveigh :D Dunno if mcveigh can though being with cage warriors though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

McVeigh is CC Bantam champ. I think the sticking point would be his friendship with John Kavanagh / SBG.

Would be a great fight.

any reviews written any where? how did santos get on against loughran?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

I think inexperience got the better of Jorge but it really was an excellent fight. This guy was coming forward eating shots from Greg Loughran and giving them back as well. Really interested in seeing his next fight because I think he will adapt very well.

There are a few reviews up!
    http://www.yourmma.tv/events/details.asp/p/1/id/252/cage-contender-13.htm

Alan Keane has a lot of individual fight reports on http://fighthounds.com/

the guys from PowerHouse did one too!
    http://www.powerhousemma.ie/cage_contender_xiii_52.html

and Peter Carroll did one for MMASource
    http://www.mmasource.ie/index.php/2012/04/cage-contender-xiii-wain-retains-hw-strap-lister-overcomes-moore-holohan-kos-rooney/

I also got a couple of audio interviews done on the night!
    http://soundcloud.com/sdtimeout/sets/cage-contender-xiii-interviews/

enjoy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

SDTimeout wrote: »
    McVeigh is CC Bantam champ. I think the sticking point would be his friendship with John Kavanagh / SBG.

Would be a great fight.
    Why would it be??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Paddy H pulled out a sick performance. Did not realise how good his standup was

As seen as he Boxed before doing MMA I'm not all that surprised, good that he is able to show his full repertoire..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 InCagePhoto

some more snaps from CC XIII

E8E9C0C895BA439B98472996683DC6A9-0000327410-0002838486-00500L-D8B276328CAB4AFDAE84E6F2BE1124D1.jpg4C02A64A0A5041799646AC0C6680E00F-0000327410-0002838485-00500L-B4528940B53B4478BD633DEE6F2D6214.jpg

39531FB286BD4D54A819D310ED7BF9D5-0000327410-0002838484-00640L-55871C3D11744E69BED79171CF1ADC56.jpg

21DC653A860B42D5A52D2F3799ED8381-0000327410-0002838482-00640L-383F36501CA8497187349358961A09AD.jpg

52F4071827DE470C98DAF35AF08C224D-0000327410-0002838481-00640L-E4643E236CEE429DB2F654A9C56B8319.jpg

998F04D1C35348BAA9F6D47572E47A2C-0000327410-0002838480-00640L-3229C744D5174DB28DD601D1FBC79E9D.jpg

E5FFFD1BCA364E76B8C766063C3BEA19-0000327410-0002838479-00640L-9DD2E4014CDD4145BD6C42E5C15A10BF.jpg

2A60E7A23B3E4E93846355905BBF7DA2-0000327410-0002838506-00640L-36062F7AF9654B4BB3CBCF6DF07C82EC.jpg

5F2AB0FD717B48DFBFBE2CEF5653D372-0000327410-0002838497-00640L-E3B029282F7B42269970417700B04998.jpgF71D686FB04543068BFD1FB5EC2ED0C2-0000327410-0002838501-00640L-04A50769A616484C84647430A2D9CC7B.jpg

6C743479D11B4E1C930659B3681E4149-0000327410-0002838491-00640L-D76A40DA353F4103B21910E02C642E2A.jpg014E768BFE6C4C0F9659D63B4A1368FB-0000327410-0002838500-00640L-5E4BD126D6AB437F88D18DC6A30538A4.jpg

FBF4DE21EEF34E208619921098A70A3D-0000327410-0002838505-00800L-8EEA40A1FE4B412BAC73F74F32B6F82B.jpg

9DC3355B444C46E3AAF707F73C435423-0000327410-0002838502-00800L-F43C97035406490BA85DD6BD3E8B95B0.jpg

D946C363A05B47709328BC21EE929FB8-0000327410-0002838503-00800L-ED15BC577F6B486899EC49BE9CBDD8E9.jpg

"In Cage" Photography

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Spideog Rua

52F4071827DE470C98DAF35AF08C224D-0000327410-0002838481-00640L-E4643E236CEE429DB2F654A9C56B8319.jpg

What's going on here?

Advertisement