Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Formula 1 2014: General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭MS.ing

Im amazed we know how its all done and so soon, one thing engineers involved to know (including those on the other side of the industrial espionage) about the workings, another thing entirely for the public (us) to know!

If I was Merc Id have a contract out on whoever let the cat out of the bag.

when I heard about the method though there was a "well duh course youd seperate the hot and cold parts of the turbo!" heinsight a wonderfull thing though spose. the lower end teams though they will be the ones who will gain most from this wont they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭_rebelkid

MS.ing wrote: »
    Im amazed we know how its all done and so soon, one thing engineers involved to know (including those on the other side of the industrial espionage) about the workings, another thing entirely for the public (us) to know!

If I was Merc Id have a contract out on whoever let the cat out of the bag.

when I heard about the method though there was a "well duh course youd seperate the hot and cold parts of the turbo!" heinsight a wonderfull thing though spose. the lower end teams though they will be the ones who will gain most from this wont they?

It's not that the public figured it out (although technical commentators wrote about separating the Turbo in the off-season in 2013), but rather the teams had to disclose it to the FIA and FOM way back in the design certification. It was known in testing that Mercedes HAD separated the turbo, and Renault would have known it.

The lower teams running Mercedes engines already have the split turbo, and have done since they were given the engines from Mercedes. SO any gain from it is already there.

Top Dog wrote: »
    Is it just me or does the exhaust manifold on the Renault engine look seriously convoluted?

Renault do like single piping the cylinders. It's basically the manifold from the V8 with one pipe lopped off...

So Red Bull's own measurement said they were above the fuel flow limit. How the hell did they think they'd be able to win the appeal with that in their data?

From the full FIA decision:
    35. The FIA then adds that the Apellant's own estimation of its car No. 3's FFR in Melbourne also showed that the car exceeded the FFL during the Australian Grand Prix.

_rebelkid wrote: »
    So Red Bull's own measurement said they were above the fuel flow limit. How the hell did they think they'd be able to win the appeal with that in their data?

Therefore_aliens.jpg

• Advertisement

The Irony hurts...

BlkGVtYIQAEAc5O.jpg:large

The Irony hurts...

I can't help but feel that should be a pic of Charles Manson wearing a tshirt with Che Guevara wearing a tshirt with Jesus on it.

Or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The Irony hurts...

While he's taking that picture he can't be on the road. It is said for every hour Maldonado is kept off the road 4 lives are saved on roads around the road.

McLaren to take Formula 1 rival Red Bull to court over Dan Fallows
    McLaren is planning to take Formula 1 rival Red Bull to court in its dispute with the team over head of aero Dan Fallows, AUTOSPORT can reveal.

The Woking-based team insists it has a legally binding contract with Fallows, but Red Bull announced last week that he was returning to its fold rather than joining McLaren.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Shouldn't they be sueing Dan? They had a contract with him not red bull.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

ScumLord wrote: »
    Shouldn't they be sueing Dan? They had a contract with him not red bull.

Agreed, seems any amount of teams are waiting for their chance to take Red Bull to court. F1 is becoming so political, I know it always has been but it is becoming a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

tumblr_n4fmxr8vJV1s78x6eo1_1280.jpg

McLaren confident over victory chances.

They will have to do serious work on this years car if they want to win races.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    McLaren confident over victory chances.

They will have to do serious work on this years car if they want to win races.

In the article they basically say they lack downforce but are fast, which translates to the car is useless but it has a Mercedes engine.

GarIT wrote: »
    In the article they basically say they lack downforce but are fast, which translates to the car is useless but it has a Mercedes engine.

And to think they did look stong in testing. Bet they cant wait to get their new Red Bull aero guys to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Their move to the x rated nose hasn't worked. Honda will want to hit the ground running if they don't want to be bringing up the rear next year if they're no where now with Merc power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,458 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Gillespy wrote: »
    Their move to the x rated nose hasn't worked. Honda will want to hit the ground running if they don't want to be bringing up the rear next year if they're no where now with Merc power.

I don't think they are as far away as it looks in terms of performance. I think they may well be strong in a couple of months.
    By all accounts, the car is a good base and is adaptable.
    The high nose is a disgrace though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Hopefully getting back to Europe will help McLaren develop their car quicker than the likes of Sauber and Force India, who they really shouldn't be racing.

Zcott wrote: »
    Hopefully getting back to Europe will help McLaren develop their car quicker than the likes of Sauber and Force India, who they really shouldn't be racing.

But they are not racing Sauber or FI. Sauber has a worse car than McLaren and FI have a better car than McLaren, at least at the moment. McLaren are fighting with the likes of Torro Rosso at the moment. I to hope McLaren can get the development of the car moving in the right direction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,458 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Of course they are racing FI. Maybe not in the last race or 2 but I would bet good money that McLaren will finish the season ahead of FI and Williams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I wonder if Button will be offered a McLaren seat in 2015...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

mickdw wrote: »
    Of course they are racing FI. Maybe not in the last race or 2 but I would bet good money that McLaren will finish the season ahead of FI and Williams.

I'm not so sure, FI made a seriously good car last year and if it wasn't for the tire changes and DiResta's ****ty luck in the first half of the season I think they could have beaten Mclaren. This year they have a much stronger driver lineup and an even quicker car. Mclaren's Australia result is making them look much closer to FI than they actually are, right now they are the 7th fastest team.

mickdw wrote: »
    By all accounts, the car is a good base and is adaptable.

That's what they've said since the start, doesn't seem to have happened yet though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,279 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

New Sebastian Vettle t-shirt :p

BltbSF9CIAEf3KW.jpg

GarIT wrote: »

Right on mister :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

^^ Think they need to bring the top RPM down to under 12k :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭MS.ing

whats going on with the gear changes, it drops from 5th to 1st in a couple tenths of a second (which is not humanly possible) referring to one minute in btw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

MS.ing wrote: »
    whats going on with the gear changes, it drops from 5th to 1st in a couple tenths of a second (which is not humanly possible) referring to one minute in btw

I think it's more an example of what happens rather than what actually happens on a lap.

Advertisement