Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is going to a fortune teller against my religion?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

DILLIGAF wrote: »
    You didn't start the thread, but I was kind of referring to everyone on it, which is why I probably shouldn't be responding to this either. Again, I don't believe in ghosts, but each to their own.
    For what it's worth, I believe ghosts are demons masquerading as dead people. This gives the impression that there is no Heaven or Hell and that dead people just hang around in a generic afterlife as mediums would have us believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭DILLIGAF

People with multiple personality disorder believe that many people can co-habit one body. Does this mean they have 8 'souls'? And why are the only people at the far front of 'ghost' related studies complete spastics? Like old gypsy women making money, and weird liverpuddlian guys with bad haircuts and too much jewelry that "feel a presence". It's absurd.And by ghosts of dead waiters and lords of manors,I include the idea of a supreme ruler. Easiest ways to dispute god and ghosts is dinosaurs. Surely if someone can see the soul of a cat or ghost dog then there should be ghost dinosaurs all over the place.Plus they'd be hard to miss. But humans like to believe that only a human soul is worth saving(or misplacing as ghosts would seem) but why are stories of ghost animals any less believable? It's because humans like to project themselves onto their pets,pretend they have personalities similar to ours,moods,desires etc. So the story of ghost cat is more believable then a ghost dinosaur, even though they all died in seemingly stressful circumstances. It's just absurd. I dont know why I'm even going on. Believing in ghosts is like believing in zombies or vampires or santa!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Soul Winner

DILLIGAF wrote: »
    People with multiple personality disorder believe that many people can co-habit one body. Does this mean they have 8 'souls'? And why are the only people at the far front of 'ghost' related studies complete spastics? Like old gypsy women making money, and weird liverpuddlian guys with bad haircuts and too much jewelry that "feel a presence". It's absurd.And by ghosts of dead waiters and lords of manors,I include the idea of a supreme ruler. Easiest ways to dispute god and ghosts is dinosaurs. Surely if someone can see the soul of a cat or ghost dog then there should be ghost dinosaurs all over the place.Plus they'd be hard to miss. But humans like to believe that only a human soul is worth saving(or misplacing as ghosts would seem) but why are stories of ghost animals any less believable? It's because humans like to project themselves onto their pets,pretend they have personalities similar to ours,moods,desires etc. So the story of ghost cat is more believable then a ghost dinosaur, even though they all died in seemingly stressful circumstances. It's just absurd. I dont know why I'm even going on. Believing in ghosts is like believing in zombies or vampires or santa!

So you would have us beleive that there is no Santa? Bahahahahahahahahah :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭CaptainNemo

The safest thing to do if you are insecure in your faith or your ability to know right from wrong is to stay away from the "occult" because it's a bit of a minefield. However I don't believe you need to be concerned about it from a "sin" point of view as long as you don't take it seriously.

If you think about it, listening to a fortune teller or reading a horoscope is no more harmful than having a friend tell you that they think it will be sunny tomorrow. Sure, only God knows the future but that doesn't mean you have to close your ears to your friend's opinion and it doesn't mean you have sinned if you seek someone's advice, be they a fortune teller or not. They are basically an amusement. Most fortune tellers are simply con artists and "cold readers" and the few who may genuinely have some talent are only one voice among many. They do not "know" the future and I don't consider that it is a sin to hear opinions. If you were to avoid all prognostications beyond this present moment it would be difficult to have any conversations at all.

The thing that would worry me is if someone is going to a fortune teller because they NEED advice, or they truly BELIEVE that this person can tell the future. To me, that is just asking to be conned and misled, and worse, it is giving up your own self-determination (if you don't believe in God) and your faith (if you do).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭PoleStar

Whether or not it is against your religion should not be the point.

The point should be whether or not it is against your logic.

And Im afraid that yes it is against all logic.

Unless of course its "for entertainment" which we are told on all the ads on tv nowadays (to ensure that we can be certain they are not trying to dupe us poor suckers!)

• Advertisement
Advertisement