Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is going to a fortune teller against my religion?

Options
  • 26-01-2008 9:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭

Hey folks

Well it is exactly as i put it above. My girlfriend wants to go see this fortune teller and i have been wondering about this, can anyone shed any light on it for me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

GAAman wrote: »
    Hey folks

Well it is exactly as i put it above. My girlfriend wants to go see this fortune teller and i have been wondering about this, can anyone shed any light on it for me?

No it is not, why do you think it might be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Hey folks

It depends on what your religion is, If you are a Christian it certainly is forbidden.

Read "But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death". Revelation 21 vs8

sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death". Revelation 21 vs8
    :rolleyes:When did fortune tellers become classified as sorcerers. What about Horoscopes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Not getting into a debate here, but Christians are warned to avoid any kind of fortune-telling, mediums, magic etc. (that includes Horoscopes Asiaprod). Because there's something in all of it and it ain't God. So saith the bible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

My girlfriend wants to go see this fortune teller and i have been wondering about this, can anyone shed any light on it for me?

As a christian, you are obliged to go to any fortune teller you know of, tie her to a wooden pole and heap straw & sticks around her & burn her to death.

You should probably burn your girlfriend too for good measure.

Or you can take the modern catholic approach of 'forgiveness is easier to get than permission' where you can do what you want as long as you tell the priest about it afterwards.

• Advertisement

Not getting into a debate here, but Christians are warned to avoid any kind of fortune-telling, mediums, magic etc. (that includes Horoscopes Asiaprod). Because there's something in all of it and it ain't God. So saith the bible.
    I stand corrected, thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Basically it's based on Deuteronomy 18, and Saul (King of Israel) was punished for using a medium to contact Samuel.

Gurgle wrote: »
    As a christian, you are obliged to go to any fortune teller you know of, tie her to a wooden pole and heap straw & sticks around her & burn her to death.

This is part of the judicial law of the Torah, we believe it is wrong and not to partake of it, but those outside of Christianity or Christian traditions are to be let to God's judgement. We also do not carry out capital punishment due to the New Covenant, nobody is in the right or correct position to punish anyone, we are all of a sinful nature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Jakkass wrote: »
    This is part of the judicial law of the Torah, we believe it is wrong and not to partake of it, but those outside of Christianity or Christian traditions are to be let to God's judgement. We also do not carry out capital punishment due to the New Covenant, nobody is in the right or correct position to punish anyone, we are all of a sinful nature.

"Do not answer a fool according to his folly" (Proverbs 26:4, New International Version)

Or, as the PDN version puts it, "Don't feed the trolls". :)

PDN wrote: »
    "Do not answer a fool according to his folly" (Proverbs 26:4, New International Version)

Or, as the PDN version puts it, "Don't feed the trolls". :)

:) I decided I might as well try deal with it in a somewhat serious matter incase anyone else should actually have an interest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Hey folks

Hello GAAman, assuming you're Christian, consulting fortune tellers basically shows a lack of trust in God and His divine providence.

God wants us to put our complete trust in Him even when bad things happen to us. If we truly trust in God, nothing should worry us.

Fortune telling apart from being against God, is false anyway. Only God knows the future.

God bless,
    Noel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Asiaprod wrote: »
    :rolleyes:When did fortune tellers become classified as sorcerers. What about Horoscopes?
    In Deuteronomy 18:10-12, many of the practices associated with sorcery are named for us: "Let no one be found among you…who practices divination or sorcery, interprets omens, engages in witchcraft, or casts spells, or who is a medium or spiritist or who consults the dead. Anyone who does these things is detestable to the LORD…" Although the Bible speaks about sorcery in several other places.

There are a few other verses in scripture that widen the scope of sorcery a bit. In Isaiah 47:13, God rebukes Israel with these words: "All the counsel you have received has only worn you out! Let your astrologers come forward, those stargazers who make predictions month by month, let them save you from what is coming upon you." With this verse we see that astrologers and stargazers are also displeasing to the Lord and are probably also listed as sorcerers. This certainly casts suspicion upon the very prevalent practice of reading and heeding horoscopes.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

OP, it's your girlfriend who is going not you, so it doesn't effect your beliefs. If you were going for a reading, then there would be an issue, and as said above, it's not really something a Christian should be doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

kelly1 wrote: »
    Hello GAAman, assuming you're Christian, consulting fortune tellers basically shows a lack of trust in God and His divine providence.

God wants us to put our complete trust in Him even when bad things happen to us. If we truly trust in God, nothing should worry us.

Fortune telling apart from being against God, is false anyway. Only God knows the future.

God bless,
    Noel.

A very good answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Hey again folks

Firstly thanks for all the replies

Secondly my gf did want me to go to the fortune teller but i am not going now, i had a feeling deep down that it would be a no-no according to my beliefs but wanted to be sure

Thanks again

Hey again folks

Firstly thanks for all the replies

Secondly my gf did want me to go to the fortune teller but i am not going now, i had a feeling deep down that it would be a no-no according to my beliefs but wanted to be sure

Thanks again
    If you haven't done so, I would suggest you try convince your girlfriend not to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

If you haven't done so, I would suggest you try convince your girlfriend not to go.

I wouldnt really be comfortable with that to be honest as i would never press my beliefs on anyone else i have spoken to her about it and gave her the reasons why i am not going but she isnt of the strongest of faith and at the end of the day it is up to her

I wouldnt really be comfortable with that to be honest as i would never press my beliefs on anyone else i have spoken to her about it and gave her the reasons why i am not going but she isnt of the strongest of faith and at the end of the day it is up to her
    OK fair enough. To condone it would be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭ryoishin

I had this out ith my own girlfriend the other night. Shed have the same faith as me but shes into angel cards. Im not into it, its like runtothehills and others said earlier, its displeasing to God but its also a reflection on your own relationship with God. I dont want to displease God but other than that I am fully satisfied in God (and the "networks" he works through) and have no need to go anywhere else. If God wants me to know something He ll let me know i dont need cards to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭JoeB-

"Let your astrologers come forward, those stargazers who make predictions month by month, let them save you from what is coming upon you." With this verse we see that astrologers and stargazers are also displeasing to the Lord and are probably also listed as sorcerers. This certainly casts suspicion upon the very prevalent practice of reading and heeding horoscopes.

This was raised in another thread... The three Magi or wise men were stargazers and Jesus accepted gifts from them. (OK, he was young but they wise men weren't described as being bad or evil in any way.. but they definitely were said to have followed a star. Paradox?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭BrianCalgary

This was raised in another thread... The three Magi or wise men were stargazers and Jesus accepted gifts from them. (OK, he was young but they wise men weren't described as being bad or evil in any way.. but they definitely were said to have followed a star. Paradox?

The Magi may have been astronomers and not astrologers. They studied the position and movements of stars and recognised the bizarre positioning that fateful night that brought them west to Bethlehem.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭floydmoon1

As brian says there is nothing wrong with astonomey as it is like geology or another science.while astrology is a different thing and a no-no in the eyes of God.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Design_Dude

Yep it defo is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭DILLIGAF

wow,embarrassing thread :/

DILLIGAF wrote: »
    wow,embarrassing thread :/
    How so?

well like,read it :/ your probably over 20 years old and you still have a boogeyman under the bed.each to their own,this is the wrong thread for me to be dissing people who believe in ghosts and pearly gates so I'm sorry.

well like,read it :/ your probably over 20 years old and you still have a boogeyman under the bed.each to their own,this is the wrong thread for me to be dissing people who believe in ghosts and pearly gates so I'm sorry.
    Are you suggesting that I have an irrational fear of fortune tellers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Soul Winner

floydmoon1 wrote: »
    As brian says there is nothing wrong with astonomey as it is like geology or another science.while astrology is a different thing and a no-no in the eyes of God.

These are well worth the read. Draw you own conclusions:

"Witness of the Stars" by E W Bullinger

EWB-Witnessinthestars.jpg

"The Gospel in the Stars" by Joseph A Seiss

JAS-Gospelinthestars.jpg

Are you suggesting that I have an irrational fear of fortune tellers?

You didn't start the thread, but I was kind of referring to everyone on it, which is why I probably shouldn't be responding to this either. Again, I don't believe in ghosts, but each to their own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Soul Winner

...I don't believe in ghosts, but each to their own.

Most testimonies I've heard from people who claim that they have seen a ghost are from people who also claim they never believed in them before hand. Whether what they said they've seen are actually spirits of people who have passed on or not I'm not too sure but I believe that most of the people who claim to have seen them are not lying. They've seen something or heard something or felt something. They are not ALL lying, there is too many of them. Normal people experiencing extraordinary things. Personally I have never seen one. I've felt hairs on my head stand up a few times when on my own in my house. I've heard a few weird things but nothing that I could put down to the paranormal. My TV went on by itself one night at full volume for no apparent reason. Happened to another person I know too, same TV as well. Not sure what to make of it but it was weird. Plus a common trait in these testimonies is one of not caring in the least whether people believe them or not something that you can't really say if in fact you do want people to believe you. It's neither socially or economically advantageous to claim you have seen a ghost if in fact you haven't, unless you are a an old broken down creaking country Inn owner who makes up stories about room 13 that nobody is allowed into in order to attract potential ghost loving type punters. "Aaarrrggghh!!! Don't you be going nigh room 13 ya hear, I've seen strange things in that there room. You keep out ya hear? Most folks who've stayed in that there room are never the same again aaarrggghhh"

I know bad accent :p

Advertisement