Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trivial things that irrationally annoy you in MMA!

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

At the weigh ins when fighters come out wearing loads of gear and take ages to get to their boxers. On the weekend Uriah Hall took ages to undress. It was a breath of fresh air when Mark Hunt just came out in his boxers and hoped on the scale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,435 ✭✭✭weemcd

CatFromHue wrote: »
    At the weigh ins when fighters come out wearing loads of gear and take ages to get to their boxers. On the weekend Uriah Hall took ages to undress. It was a breath of fresh air when Mark Hunt just came out in his boxers and hoped on the scale.

That is very annoying!

You have people wearing trackie bottoms, shorts, a t shirt and a hoodie sometimes. Then they take off their branded headphones. Then they put it back on and walk over to the opponent. No idea why they do it.

Go up in your boxers, your shorts and maybe a tshirt and a pair of flip flops. If it was me I'd be mortified and probably end up falling over or pulling my boxers down if I had to undress in front of a huge crowd., I've enough trouble doing that when I'm tired and hopping into bed late. Would be nervous enough without that crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

weemcd wrote: »
    That is very annoying!

You have people wearing trackie bottoms, shorts, a t shirt and a hoodie sometimes. Then they take off their branded headphones. Then they put it back on and walk over to the opponent. No idea why they do it.

Go up in your boxers, your shorts and maybe a tshirt and a pair of flip flops. If it was me I'd be mortified and probably end up falling over or pulling my boxers down if I had to undress in front of a huge crowd., I've enough trouble doing that when I'm tired and hopping into bed late. Would be nervous enough without that crap.

Ummmm sponsership, money. Headphones are probably the only non reebok item they can get away with(and make money for appearing to wear/use) furing weigh ins nowadays

I hate when Bruce Buffer can't pronounce a city name, especially when you're in Europe. Why doesnt he just ask someone local? Watford became Waterford last weekend and god help him when he got Leicestershire and Gloucestershire.

Also annoys me when they let only 2 of the 3 cornermen in after the fight. Just let them all in for god sake

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

The advertising. 'This moment is brought to you by reebok you can buy their clothes at reebok.com You too can wear shorts that look like a nappy!' 'Buy bud light, Buy it, buy the carbonated piss!'. Leave us alone!

Also during Ronda v Holm the commentators were waffeling in general when they should have been paying attention to what was going on in front of them, the fight moved way too fast for their little segways into a discussion.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Isn't that just American TV in general where everything has a sponsor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Joe.ie are unbearable when it comes to MMA coverage. "OMG guys, Conor McGregor just ate a sandwich" Click for deets lads because you'll never guess what Aldo just said about that sandwich.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Different sized octagons.

Either use the big one all of the time or the small one all of the time. It should be standardised at UFC level. The UFC often don't even tell the fighters what size octagon they'll be fighting in according to this Bloody Elbow report.

Ridiculous.

That_Guy wrote: »
    Joe.ie are unbearable when it comes to MMA coverage. "OMG guys, Conor McGregor just ate a sandwich" Click for deets lads because you'll never guess what Aldo just said about that sandwich.

ha that is so true :pac:

in fairness though didn't they sponsor him at one stage? i remember seeing their logo at one of his earlier UFC fights.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

ha that is so true :pac:

in fairness though didn't they sponsor him at one stage? i remember seeing their logo at one of his earlier UFC fights.

They sposnered him until after the Poirier fight I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Gi-a-ti = Guillotine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

People who think aldo is gunna win at 194 :D

Referees giving 100 warnings before deducting a point. A complete cop out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭cletus

califano wrote: »
    Gi-a-ti = Guillotine

They're actually saying gi-a-teen, which would be roughly a French pronunciation for a French word. Should they do it if not speaking French? Dunno, but how many people say Renauo instead of Renault (flip side of course is people say Citron instead of Citroen)

Either way both pronunciations would acceptable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Paully D wrote: »
    Different sized octagons.

Either use the big one all of the time or the small one all of the time. It should be standardised at UFC level. The UFC often don't even tell the fighters what size octagon they'll be fighting in according to this Bloody Elbow report.

Ridiculous.

I think the smaller cage is the WEC cage. Its used mainly in smaller venues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Paul Kimmage.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭loudnoises89

Joe Rogan and his over use of the phrase "high level" and "elite" has got on my nerves lately. I know he's been saying it for a long, long time but it has begun to bother me. Goldy has now been infected by it too ffs.

UFC drinking game. Everytime these two terms are mentioned, drink. You wouldn't get past the first round of the first fight pass pre-lim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,603 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

To be fair, the UFC is made of up of lots of elite athletes...;)

I thought I had gotten rid of Joe.ie/Sports Joe from my Facebook timeline. People liking their posts appear all the time though. Bah.

Over the weekend they've had links such as:

"WATCH: Bruce Buffer's reaction to Conor McGregor's 13 second victory over Jose Aldo"

"Guess how much Conor McGregor got paid this past weekend"

"John Kavanagh reveals the new weight cutting system for Conor McGregor that helped beat Jose Aldo in 13 seconds"

"We have the odds for Frankie Edgar vs Conor McGregor" --- Bizarre one given the fight hasn't even been announced.

"Joe Duffy reacts to Conor McGregor's 13 second victory"

"Who's next for Conor McGregor after his 13 second victory over Jose Aldo?"

There's so much more but it pains my eyes. I've blocked them and unfollowed yet I still see. WHYYYY!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

That_Guy wrote: »
    I thought I had gotten rid of Joe.ie/Sports Joe from my Facebook timeline. People liking their posts appear all the time though. Bah.

Over the weekend they've had links such as:

"WATCH: Bruce Buffer's reaction to Conor McGregor's 13 second victory over Jose Aldo"

"Guess how much Conor McGregor got paid this past weekend"

"John Kavanagh reveals the new weight cutting system for Conor McGregor that helped beat Jose Aldo in 13 seconds"

"We have the odds for Frankie Edgar vs Conor McGregor" --- Bizarre one given the fight hasn't even been announced.

"Joe Duffy reacts to Conor McGregor's 13 second victory"

"Who's next for Conor McGregor after his 13 second victory over Jose Aldo?"

There's so much more but it pains my eyes. I've blocked them and unfollowed yet I still see. WHYYYY!!

Lovin Dublin put up something like 'look at the hilarious reaction of Jose Aldo's corner as he loses'. Yeah a grown man breaking down in tears as his long term friend suffers a decasting loss. Gas stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭finglashoop

When you see a post liked by someone else. Click on it and hide all from joe.ie its not enough to unfollow

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

The amount of them officials at fights in the mgm in the red jackets way too many of them in the octagon.

Easy Rod wrote: »
    Lovin Dublin put up something like 'look at the hilarious reaction of Jose Aldo's corner as he loses'. Yeah a grown man breaking down in tears as his long term friend suffers a decasting loss. Gas stuff.

The local radio station here have only started acknowledging MMA exists since McGregor v Mendes and the extent of their reporting consists of McGregor coverage. Prior to UFC 189 one of their reporters said "oh well the radio station have given me tickets and are paying for my flights so I'll probably go over but I'm not really that bothered" :rolleyes:

Anyway, yesterday they were having a great laugh in the studio at the "haw, haw, hilarious" coverage from Aldo's locker room after the fight.

****ing clowns.

b6FfQX6.png
    You have got me there. These guys are as useless as tits on a boar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

It's probably not that trivial, but over in Vegas for 194, two of our travelling party had never been to a ufc and were barely casual fans, and having to explain to them that the uniforms consisted of either white with black, and black with white.... Absolutely embarrassing. Especially trying to distinguish them from any bit of a distance. Without even bringing up the Reebok pay scale, the complete lack of imagination with regards to the basic shorts is absolutely cringe worthy. White with black, vs black with white. Jaysus.

• Advertisement

yeah the fact both sets of shorts are two tone in the same colours is retarded.

At least make them black vrs white. Or is two tone isa much, black/grey vrs white/grey

On a similar not, was McGregor the first fighter to get individual shorts? His black and green ones?
    I actually liked them ones

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Mellor wrote: »

At least make them black vrs white. Or is two tone isa much, black/grey vrs white/grey

On a similar not, was McGregor the first fighter to get individual shorts? His black and green ones?

The black with white/white with black shorts drives me nuts. They already wear blue & red on the cuffs of their gloves for their corners, they could have had black/blue & white/red or similar.

There's something very strange about the whole Reebok thing, it's like the design decisions are being made by a bunch of 4th years for a school project.

TherapyBoy wrote: »
    The black with white/white with black shorts drives me nuts. They already wear blue & red on the cuffs of their gloves for their corners, they could have had black/blue & white/red or similar.

There's something very strange about the whole Reebok thing, it's like the design decisions are being made by a bunch of 4th years for a school project.

Thats harsh on 4th year students imo,primary school level I'd rank it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

They were actually nice! Its mad what a bit of colour can do

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Yeah he was. They were really cool. Although I don't know if they were genuinely really cool, or I was a bit institutionalised from the shocking reebok shorts that I've become used to.

Diaz this weekend not wearing his customary metal mulisha shorts is going to be a sad sight. Even cowboy has very distinctive shorts. Can you imagine Bj Penn without the famous black belt shorts, or the iceman without his. It's sickening.

• Advertisement

Did Cowboy have a slightly different design on his shorts last night?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Did Cowboy have a slightly different design on his shorts last night?

had a part of an old pair of muay thai shorts sewn onto his shorts, tradition of his

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭evo2000

Fighters that are losing a fight lopsidedly on points and proceed to shoot for pointless take downs in the last min of the last round... and at the end looking shocked/dissappointed to have lost..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Maybe I said it before but Rogans complete overuse of the word "Wow" at the end of any fight that finishes. Seems to be getting worse lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

"the game"

Im noticing a strange ''whooooo whhoooooooooo'' whirring type of cheer from the American crowd. The Mosconi Cup pool was riddled with it. Then it carried on most notably on the prelims. Something exciting happens ''whooooo whhoooooooooo''. Its like something an adult would chant to entertain an infant.

Im noticing a strange ''whooooo whhoooooooooo'' whirring type of cheer from the American crowd. The Mosconi Cup pool was riddled with it. Then it carried on most notably on the prelims. Something exciting happens ''whooooo whhoooooooooo''. Its like something an adult would chant to entertain an infant.

Is it the Ric Flair "wooooooo" by any chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

MrStuffins wrote: »
    We said "trivial" right? I've got one.

LW rankings are:

Champ: RDA
    #1 Contender: Pettis
    #2 Contender: Cerrone

When Cerrone fights RDA, Bruce Buffer will describe Cerrone as "The number two ranked lightweight fighter in the world" rather than "Number two ranked lightweight CONTENDER". Cerrone's not the #2 ranked "fighter", Pettis is. Cerrone is the #3 ranked fighter because RDA & Pettis are ahead of him.

Probably just me, but it's annoying!

Bruce must've been reading this thread because it turns out he has changed this and just in time for the RDA v Cerrone fight too. Happy days :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭xtal191

So annoying, was pretty constant the other night.

Is it the Ric Flair "wooooooo" by any chance?

Had to look it up but yeah thats exactly it only the whole crowd chanting it in a more controlled way. Halfhearted 'entertain me jester type attitude'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭crybaby

Nick Diaz's complete lack of ability to put together a coherent sentence

Been watching a lot of the old fights on fightpass lately and noticed another Rogan pet hate of mine "This is the best (insert fighter name) we have seen inside of the octagon."

Rogan's "OH HE HURT HIM" despite zero impact on punches/elbows/kicks drives me up the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

''Thats it hes got him'' ''oh its on its very tight'' (somebody making a sub attempt) and sure enough they dont get the tap,he was at it the weekend in the McDonald fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,944 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Been watching a lot of the old fights on fightpass lately and noticed another Rogan pet hate of mine "This is the best (insert fighter name) we have seen inside of the octagon."

How many times did Rogan say that about BJ Penn, even during the build up to BJ's last 6/7 fights all we were hearing was that it was the best BJ Penn ever, then he proceeded to get steamrollered

scudzilla wrote: »
    How many times did Rogan say that about BJ Penn, even during the build up to BJ's last 6/7 fights all we were hearing was that it was the best BJ Penn ever, then he proceeded to get steamrollered

I have many Rogan pet hates. The top one being the biased commentary. Does my nut in. Had to turn the volume off for the lawler v condit fight.

• Company Representative Posts: 64 Verified rep JohnSBG

The constant misspelling of "Conor" makes my eye twitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

That 'reach' is actually 'wingspan', it doesn't really give you an accurate idea of an arm reach. If someone has a broad chest/shoulders they'll have a longer reach. It should be the length of someones arm horizontal in front of them.

• Advertisement

That 'reach' is actually 'wingspan', it doesn't really give you an accurate idea of an arm reach. If someone has a broad chest/shoulders they'll have a longer reach. It should be the length of someones arm horizontal in front of them.
    Wingspan gives a much more accurate idea of punch reach than horizontal arm length. Broad shoulders allow you to punch further.

Advertisement