Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BIS Query

Options
  • 07-03-2015 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Anyone know what the job prospects are like after graduation from BIS in CIT? Like is it difficult to find employment? Ive heard big things from the course in UCC so just wondering about CIT. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

Hi, I'm currently doing BIS in CIT (tho 1st year) but from what I've gathered, there's a very strong chance that your 3rd year placement company will offer you a job after college. Also, if it makes a difference, I was speaking to an Apple rep at an employment fair on campus, and they said they're in works with CIT to offer a program for placement students in business/IT courses @ CIT :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I graduated from the course in 2008, personally I'd recommend doing the MBs in UCC in BIS, just to a) have the MBS accreditation and b) also accessing their professional contacts.

But I know lads from my year didn't have any huge difficulty in finding jobs straight from 4th Year.

Be a bit braver with the placements too, try sourcing one yourself in the UK.

I wouldn't worry about the lads coming from UCC, when we entered that Masters, the bunch that came form CIT ended up being 3 of the first 5 hires that year, it's all down to the individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 gcoughlan11

Currently in 3rd year of BIS in CIT. Would 100% recommend going to CIT over UCC as class sizes are smaller so that you interact with lecturers and class mates a lot more than in UCC.

Course has alot more practical experience due to lab classes and with the placement in third year it really provides you with excellent opportunities

Currently in 3rd year of BIS in CIT. Would 100% recommend going to CIT over UCC as class sizes are smaller so that you interact with lecturers and class mates a lot more than in UCC.

Course has alot more practical experience due to lab classes and with the placement in third year it really provides you with excellent opportunities

Curious about the placement actually. What companies did you/classmates get offered? Is there the chance to go abroad for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 gcoughlan11

Curious about the placement actually. What companies did you/classmates get offered? Is there the chance to go abroad for it?

To be honest I wouldn't go abroad if your looking to make money, your only an intern so not going to be paid massive money so therefore id stay in Ireland as companies that employ pay good and there global aswell. Some of the companies that took on our class this year were EMC, VMware, ESB, Pepsi, Apple, VCE, kerry group, glanbia, Ernst and Young, trend micro, bord gais

• Advertisement

To be honest I wouldn't go abroad if your looking to make money, your only an intern so not going to be paid massive money so therefore id stay in Ireland as companies that employ pay good and there global aswell. Some of the companies that took on our class this year were EMC, VMware, ESB, Pepsi, Apple, VCE, kerry group, glanbia, Ernst and Young, trend micro, bord gais

Thanks. I was really looking toward EMC and Apple as two companies that I would like to go for placement. I'm guessing to get these companies if to achieve good results in 2nd year?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 1,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭otmmyboy2

Thanks. I was really looking toward EMC and Apple as two companies that I would like to go for placement. I'm guessing to get these companies if to achieve good results in 2nd year?

For your 3rd year placement companies will tend to cherry pick the best candidates, one I went for even asked for academic transcripts, so every result from every module done up til that point. They were a blue chip IT company and paid very well for placement too so they knew they could demand that.

With that in mind if you are looking for a smaller class size/more lecturer contact hours/more computing based stuff go for a computing degree, either IT Management or if your feeling brave Software Development or Software Development & Computer Networking.
    As it is there are always bunches of people in any business course yet in the latter(3rd & 4th) years of Soft Dev &/ Networking there are less than ten, usually a lot less. ITM is generally, having done several of their modules, easier but there is correspondingly a lot more people in ITM. Put it this way, I have yet to hear of a computing dept degree graduate(with a decent final grade) who has had difficulty in finding a good job. And those with a crap final grade seem to be doing ok too, but the industry is desperate at this point for people so take that as you will.

Never forget, the end goal is zero firearms of any type.

S.I. No. 187/1972 - Firearms (Temporary Custody) Order - Firearms seized

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

S.I. No. 420/2019 - Magazine ban, ammo storage & transport restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

otmmyboy2 wrote: »
    For your 3rd year placement companies will tend to cherry pick the best candidates, one I went for even asked for academic transcripts, so every result from every module done up til that point. They were a blue chip IT company and paid very well for placement too so they knew they could demand that.

With that in mind if you are looking for a smaller class size/more lecturer contact hours/more computing based stuff go for a computing degree, either IT Management or if your feeling brave Software Development or Software Development & Computer Networking.
    As it is there are always bunches of people in any business course yet in the latter(3rd & 4th) years of Soft Dev &/ Networking there are less than ten, usually a lot less. ITM is generally, having done several of their modules, easier but there is correspondingly a lot more people in ITM. Put it this way, I have yet to hear of a computing dept degree graduate(with a decent final grade) who has had difficulty in finding a good job. And those with a crap final grade seem to be doing ok too, but the industry is desperate at this point for people so take that as you will.

Ah I see, thanks. I'm a first year in BIS now, was just curious about the placement and how things worked.

Advertisement