Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Weight Loss Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

greenfrogs wrote: »
    ShadowHearth that is amazing. It is so nice to go shopping and actually feel that you look good in your new clothes and to go home feeling happy. Before clothes shopping used have me nearly in tears and I'd end up buying clothes just because I needed them rather than actually liking what I was buying. I hope you have plenty more happy shopping trips.

I still have a bit of weight to lose and I think the chats in your head to your future self is a really good idea. I am definitely stealing it. It will remind me when I am exercising and am feeling the burn why I am doing it, it's because I want a healthy, toned body.

Actually I hated all my life buying cloths and Today I was worse then those Harpies from Sex and the City and I am a MAN! :pac:
    I was very heavy kid and at age 16 I was 20 stone too. I did got to 13 stone with a help of personal trainer back then, but all my weight jumped on me when I moved to Ireland 10 years ago. This time I spent only 26eu and did it myself.
    I am happy with my weight, but I really need to start doing something about my arms now, as my choice of excercise was running and walking 5.2 miles 5-6 days per week. I got legs like kangaroo at this point, but my upper body is a bit lacking. :pac: Still got a wee belly, but at this point I just dont give a ****. Still clasified as overweight by BMI chart, but it can Feck off too. :pac:

I know I sound like a psycho at this stage :o, but I did had such chats in my head while walking or not eating what I shouldn't. Another good one was while walking/running and hitting some particullar spot on my route: "Remember how you were walking here 2 months ago here and you wished to be 115kg? Well you are now 105kg, so move on!". Maybe not right thing to do, but it kept me going and motivated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

Haha even men can enjoy a bit of shopping. :pac:

I dislike my lower body as I carry a lot of weight there whereas my upper body is slimmer. I think I need to start jogging. It's funny how much peoples shapes can differ.

With regards to the talking I think you should do whatever works for you. It helps keep you motivated and that's the main things.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭newbee22

I'm finally back to my pre Christmas weight-even a few lbs lighter!I've changed up my exercise routine a bit last week- my body must have been too used to what I was doing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Have avocados in the fruit basket which I must deal with before they go off. I'll have to try to resist having avocado on toast (with lemon) everyday! So delicious!:D My mum bought them for me and she could only get the two in a pack on-line. I love them but I prefer not to have them too often as I know they can be fatty (albeit good fats) but still two in one week is not good I should think! Hate to see anything go to waste though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Have avocados in the fruit basket which I must deal with before they go off. I'll have to try to resist having avocado on toast (with lemon) everyday! So delicious!:D My mum bought them for me and she could only get the two in a pack on-line. I love them but I prefer not to have them too often as I know they can be fatty (albeit good fats) but still two in one week is not good I should think! Hate to see anything go to waste though!

2 in a week?!

I'm sure that's perfectly fine!

Any reports I have read said maybe not more than half per day.

Avocados are GOOD for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

2 in a week?!

I'm sure that's perfectly fine!

Any reports I have read said maybe not more than half per day.

Avocados are GOOD for you.

It's not like I have them every week so I suppose you're right!:) Yeah, there's loads just in half to eat! Good and delicious on toast!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Currently roasting a chicken which I'm having with mash, veg and a potato croquette.
    Still downing bottles of water to beat the band and eating fruit.
    Feeling fab!

I weighed myself this morning and I am down 2 pounds to 130.5 pounds. Just half a pound until I am back to my pre-Christmas weight.

I did a 25 minute walk this morning. It was nice to get some fresh air. I also did one of the operation transformation exercise videos. It was resistance workout. I only managed half of it yesterday so I was happy that I completed it all today. I have found the 30 day shred too hard in the past so I only managed to do it a few times. The OT exercise video is definitely more manageable for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 24 to 12 Challenge

After a very good week of steady weight loss, I went of the rails a little on Friday and Saturday resulting in a weight gain of 3lbs on Sunday morning. I didn't eat anything bad (except for hollandaise) but just ate too much and consumed too many extra calories on alcohol. I made up for it by going for two walks and not having wine or extras with Sunday lunch. Happy to say that I am back on track this morning. I know this sounds like a lot to gain and lose so quickly, but I am still really heavy and this is probably all water weight.

Really pleased with myself for tackling the extra pounds straight away instead of feeling defeated and taking up my old habit of calling friends to arrange for a Sunday Carvery somewhere.
    This evening is my weigh in. Fingers crossed. Onwards and upwards..

After a very good week of steady weight loss, I went off the rails a little on Friday and Saturday resulting in a weight gain of 3lbs on Sunday morning. I didn't eat anything bad (except for hollandaise) but just ate too much and consumed too many extra calories on alcohol. I made up for it by going for two walks and not having wine or extras with Sunday lunch. Happy to say that I am back on track this morning. I know this sounds like a lot to gain and lose so quickly, but I am still really heavy and this is probably all water weight.

Really pleased with myself for tackling the extra pounds straight away instead of feeling defeated and taking up my old habit of calling friends to arrange for a Sunday Carvery somewhere.

• Advertisement

After a very good week of steady weight loss, I went off the rails a little on Friday and Saturday resulting in a weight gain of 3lbs on Sunday morning. I didn't eat anything bad (except for hollandaise) but just ate too much and consumed too many extra calories on alcohol. I made up for it by going for two walks and not having wine or extras with Sunday lunch. Happy to say that I am back on track this morning. I know this sounds like a lot to gain and lose so quickly, but I am still really heavy and this is probably all water weight.

Typo apology. Tried to edit, but system won't let me..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Could really do with copping on to myself with my food intake. I've no idea what I should be eating so may educate myself. I've went from a 5k to a 10k and go at least 3 times a week now so am going well but I'd love to have a go at a half marathon but I think I need to be lighter. What's a good app for calculating calorie intake

Could really do with copping on to myself with my food intake. I've no idea what I should be eating so may educate myself. I've went from a 5k to a 10k and go at least 3 times a week now so am going well but I'd love to have a go at a half marathon but I think I need to be lighter. What's a good app for calculating calorie intake

MyFitnessPal is great for calorie counting.
    You enter your height and weight and it gives you your calories for the day and then you enter all your meals using the search feature and it'll give you the calories for each item. It adds each thing up so you can see how you're doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭dersawazzie

My first weigh in since I started and I'm down 4 pounds. I deserved it, I cut out plenty and have done lots of exercise. At the start I was hungry but now I'm not obsessing over food in actually wanting it, but rather more interested in how I can make my meals have less calories. I have cut down on portion sizes, not gone back for seconds and not had bread with everything. It's a great start but just a start, but I'm naturally delighted.

I got weighed last night and have lost another five and a half pounds. I am delighted as this has taken me over my first stone mark. Also got myself a wrist pedometer which alerts me whenever I have been sedentary too long. This has made me more aware of how inactive I was and I now move around more. I even stand to do 100 on the spot steps by my desk when no one else is in the office -every little helps I suppose..

• Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I've been tracking my food on MFP. I've been using it for almost 3 weeks straight now and I've seen a small improvement in my clothes again. They'd gotten slightly snug after a summer in America and then Christmas.
    I never tracked the use of oil in my cooking but did so by accident today and :eek: So many calories! It's definitely something to watch out for.

MFP is so handy for tracking your calories. Like you said Mars Bar the cooking oil really is important to track. Last week I made a salad which required rapeseed oil. I didn't have any so I used olive oil instead. The calories for that alone were 240. I made the salad again this week but used a fraction of the olive oil.

I weighed myself this morning and I am down a pound to 129.5 pounds. I was quite bad with eating junk food Friday and Saturday so I am pleased with a pound. I am going to try and introduce new recipes into my diet this week. I think it was eating the same foods over and over lead me to reaching for the chocolate and crisps.

I'm probably different to most of you using MFP in that I haven't weighed myself at all.

I never weighed at the start nor am I weighing now.
    I really don't want to because when I was in a weightloss club, I became fixated by the scales; I was ridiculous, getting to the stage where I'd wear the lightest clothes before stepping on, bringing the scales into a different room incase I was lighter in there, not eating for the whole day to see if I lost anything.

It was dangerous for my mind so I'm not weighing. I'll judge by my clothes regarding any weightloss and for my own sanity, it's best if I avoid the scales for the time being.

Had a bad day yesterday-pizza, wedges and a truckload of booze. Feeling majorly rough today but will start afresh tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

fussyonion I think you are approaching things sensibly.

I too am using MFP but I had 2 bad days this week and it is heartbreaking to see all my other great work undone and my weekly average avpbove what its supposed to be.

at the same time, it is good to be aware that such blowouts WILL affect my progress and I need to be mindful of that.

Initially when I started on Jan 5 I had overegged my weight, unintentionally. After two weeks of being good, I weighed myself and I was pretty Christmas weight. However, a few days later it looked like I was +3kg so there has been a mistake somewhere along the way.

I haven't weighed myself since and don't want it to bog me down.

Changing attitudes to healthy eating isnt instant and I have made at least one good change since the start of Jan__ lots more veg with dinner, reduced carb portion with dinner and less junk food, except for this weekend!

Nobody said it was easy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Yeah I try and not weigh myself too. Easier said than done at times though!

My gym took the weighing scales away from the public area of the gym and it's only in the fitness room now. You'll only be going in there for advice and measurements. Thank feck for that!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

I'm back to the grindstone since The start of Jan (properly around the second week in). I'm have cut back on chocolate (my vice!), takeaways, crisps, fizzy drinks, cakes, rolls, pastries, desserts, etc. I've had one bad day (malteasers!) since I started, but otherwise smooth enough sailing.

Have a fitness band and hitting my daily walking goals. Will start logging on MFP from tomorrow again. Going to the gym 3-4 times per week. Trying to introduce more fruit and veg into my diet..... So, as a whole I'm not really buying into a fad diet... Or points counting.... More of a conscious decision to eat a bit healthier.

Love reading everyone' progress thus far, ye are all doing really well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭dersawazzie

OK had my second weigh yesterday and lost another 2 pounds. Again I've done everything right, plenty of exercise (maintainable) and watched my food intake. Small things seem to mean a lot to me such as drinking green tea instead of tea or coffee so I'm not having milk or the temptations. No bread with my dinner also means no butter, no bread at all means no cheese and mayo sandwiches. Anyway still early days but my motivation is immense, I feel like I did when I gave up the ciggies after many times trying, it feels right. Good luck everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 MiaG

Hi All,

would it be ok if I join you?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,559 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

MiaG wrote: »
    Hi All,

would it be ok if I join you?

Thread is open to anyone who wants to support and be supported in their endeavours :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 MiaG

thank you - looking forward reading your experience, and hopefully pick up some healthy meal & interesting exercise ideas and share mine.

I will try to do no scales February, measure on 1st and on 28 - it would be record for me if I manage!

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭jukebox2310

Hey all. Just seen this group. In the process of trying to lose weight myself. Male age 37 5'11 and weighed in at 17st 11lbs on first weigh in on January 4th.
    Bad choices and illness have seen me get to this weight. I'm afraid it's all down to sometimes 3-4 takeaways a week as well as at least one bag of crisps, 1 bar of chocolate and 2 fizzy drinks a day.
    Since January I have decided I have to change my ways and can proudly say I haven't had a takeaway, chocolate, crisp or drink and today I have lost approx 1st 1lbs to date.
    I have started exercising and joined a gym and am really feeling much better about myself. Trying to get to 14 stone so huge way to go but determined to get there

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Just weighed myself this morning - 15 pounds / 7 kg lighter than 1st jan, going to try get another 5kg off the I'm done

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭lyinghere

Hey all. Just seen this group. In the process of trying to lose weight myself. Male age 37 5'11 and weighed in at 17th 11th on first weigh in on January 4th.
    Bad choices and illness have seen me get to this weight. I'm afraid it's all down to sometimes 3-4 takeaways a week as well as at least one bag of crisps, 1 bar of chocolate and 2 fizzy drinks a day.
    Since January I have decided I have to change my ways and can proudly say I haven't had a takeaway, chocolate, crisp or drink and today I have lost approx 1st 1lbs to date.
    I have started exercising and joined a gym and my really feeling much better about myself. Trying to get to 14 stone so huge way to go but determined to get there

great story, keep up the good work!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Just weighed myself this morning - 15 pounds / 7 kg lighter than 1st jan, going to try get another 5kg off the I'm done

Holy ****! Good work!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,559 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Hey all. Just seen this group. In the process of trying to lose weight myself. Male age 37 5'11 and weighed in at 17th 11th on first weigh in on January 4th.
    I have started exercising and joined a gym and my really feeling much better about myself. Trying to get to 14 stone so huge way to go but determined to get there

Great start! Keep up the good work. The more you make better choices and see the results, it gets easier :)

Advertisement