Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coconut Oil for Oil Pulling

Options
  • 17-01-2015 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi there I was after a bit of advice please.

I am on a lot of medication and one of the side effects is gums receding which has really started to become a problem. Anyway it was mentioned to me that oil pulling may help the gums to grow again and although that may not be the case , I have done a lot of research which suggests at the very worst it is beneficial to oral health so I am going to give it a try. I am just not sure of what sort of coconut oil to use, so I was wondering if anyone can tell me if this one is ok. I hope I have put the thread in the right section too. May thanks for your time.

Unfortunately I can't copy the link because I am a new user. This is the product description from Holland & Barrett

Perfectly Pure
    Pure Coconut Oil
    453g Oil

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭NinetyForNone

Usually there is cheap brand in tesco for around 2/3 euro.
    As your not ingesting the oil why n
    ot go for a veg oil?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 paulgreenbay

Thanks Ninetyfornone for the reply I will check out Tesco!! The reason why I am going for the coconut oil is because from what I can gather is it is much more better than any veg oils although I am far from an expert!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭gg2

How exactly do you use it? My dad suffers with receding gums and would give anything a go

Ok I am no expert but this is what happens. You get a tablespoon of coconut oil and swirl it in your mouth for 20 mins ( no longer ) swishing it between your teeth and gums. The coconut oil will become pasty and its dragging all the bacteria from your teeth and mouth that's why it's important to spit in out and not swallow it.

There is a load of information of it if you want to google it but that's it in a nutshell

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

They did a test a while back on tv about this, they used coconut oil, water, and something else (cant remember) They found on their test subjects that between all 3 there was no difference. But having said that my OH does it. You do it before you eat something in the morning, do it for 20 mins and have an old tooth brush and brush teeth lightly after swirling and get an old spoon and scrap off the gunk from tongue as well. Keep toothbrush,spoon in a cup for future pulling. Swirl mouth out with tepid water.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

My gums were receding and I did a few things to stop it (as verified by my dental hygienist)

1. Stop smoking
    2. Increase intake of vitamin C in the form of fruit
    3. Get a really good toothbrush - philips sonicare. The problem when I was using a regular toothbrush I was brushing too hard, which damaged the gums, the sonicare is really effective, but gentle and another nice side effect is less plaque

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I asked my hygienist about this during the week. I have advanced periodonitis. She said it can't do any harm so give it a go and see what happens. She said to do it in conjunction with everything else. I'm going to give it a go and I'll know in 3 months at my next appointment if there's less plaque etc.

Thanks Mad M for the info , all duly noted!!!!!

Thanks How strange , yeah I am going to try it for a few months as I don't think it will do any harm , thanks for the post and I hope your periodonitis improves.

Thanks eldangerouso for your post , yeah I have also bought some Vitamin C supplements to try improve the situation.
    I am also a smoker but hoping to give them up from Monday coming, can you tell me did you give up the smokes and if so did you notice any improvement in your receding gums????

Thanks all again for the posts!!!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

I did give up, switched to an e-cigarette and noticed a difference in 6 months.

I'm pretty sure it's the thing that made the biggest difference overall.

Advertisement