Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bandit stories

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Russman wrote: »
    Don't most clubs do domestic or winter handicaps already though ? Where you lose say two shots for a win etc, and then when the season kicks off again in the spring you revert to your "normal" handicap ? Seems a lot fairer than cutting someone's real handicap based on shortened course, placing etc. ?

A lot fairer? Are you kidding me? So they can revert back to their normal handicap and proceed to win lots of team events during the summer and then next winter clean up again until they get too many domestic cuts? I don't think so.

General play cuts are there for a reason and they need to be used more frequently. After all, we know now how the courts feel about aggrieved golfers who disagree with getting any cuts that they can't avoid. Snip snip Mr Secretary.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭DiegoWorst

HighLine wrote: »
    A lot fairer? Are you kidding me? So they can revert back to their normal handicap and proceed to win lots of team events during the summer and then next winter clean up again until they get too many domestic cuts? I don't think so.

General play cuts are there for a reason and they need to be used more frequently. After all, we know now how the courts feel about aggrieved golfers who disagree with getting any cuts that they can't avoid. Snip snip Mr Secretary.

After a tough summer grinding away on the team event circuit, passing up opportunities to win singles competitions, do you not think the least Mr. Bandit deserves is a handy turkey or two and a bottle of whiskey? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Russman

So, is the default position that everyone who wins is a bandit ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Russman wrote: »
    So, is the default position that everyone who wins is a bandit ?

Where did I say that? I simply suggested that players who win a lot during the winter, win a lot of team events and clock up nothing but a string of .1s during the summer should be cut via the mechanisms that are already in place, namely a cut on general play.
    How anyone can see that as unfair is beyond me. In fact, unfair, is not doing so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Russman

Where did I say that? I simply suggested that players who win a lot during the winter, win a lot of team events and clock up nothing but a string of .1s during the summer should be cut via the mechanisms that are already in place, namely a cut on general play.
    How anyone can see that as unfair is beyond me. In fact, unfair, is not doing so.

I don't believe for a second there are that many of those players out there to be honest. I've no issue with cuts for team events apart from the possible unfairness to a team member who hasn't contributed. But something like a win and a place would equal a cut of whatever, a sliding scale based on class maybe.

Wins and places in the winter are IMHO almost irrelevant. For a start your handicap is against the course not the field. The same score might win one day and come 20th the next, as could happen in summer too but in summer there's a CSS to base a cut on. Plus fields are usually smaller in winter so you've a better chance of winning. Factor in placing (massive advantage) and shortened courses, I think domestic cuts are much fairer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement