Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Digest Top 100 Courses... again

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Ah I think there's a element of truth there, I'm thinking of joining New Forest next year and my handicap is just not enough for the course, I honestly believe that if I join it it would be a fair achievement to hold my present handicap by the end of next year, but what a ride it would be...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,088 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

slave1 wrote: »
    I think that statement is a stretch and don't feel it supports your point at all. Do you honestly think that's what transpired? If so then I'm lost to comment on your thought process as it seems a ridiculous scenario to come up with in an attempt to critique the GD process?
    Well clearly I dont think that the first 99 courses were tied.
    Regarding scores/rank, essentially boils down to the same thing where one is superior to another, Course A higher than Course B, higher than Course C etc.
    Given the amount of courses on the list I'd imagine there's next to nothing separating a course from those immediately either side of it, I pay no attention if a course is ranked say, 72 versus a course ranked say, 76, to me they are in and around the same.
    However a course ranked say, 9 versus a course ranked say, 32 I'd expect a noticeable difference.
    I disagree.
    You say yourself that there is next to nothing between a lot of them, this artificially pushes some courses down (and off) the bottom of the list.
    Giving scores openly would be much more transparent and allow courses to be equal. I don't believe that there are no ties in a list of 100 courses and I would like to see what criteria puts course 10 above course 20.
    Lines in sand need to be drawn and I fall back on my earlier argument that links and parkland are not readily inter-comparable but at least this is an attempt to do so and not without considerable logistical effort.
    I always enjoy having a read of it, it's not perfect in it's exact ranking (an impossible task) but I think from a broad approach it's a damn fine effort.

I think they should be separated as they would likely have different scoring criteria and as such not be comparable.

Advertisement