Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish cycling show 2015 RDS 18/19th April

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Lumen wrote: »
    Everything at the RDS is crap. It's like a temple of crapness.

Toys for big boys... That was fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Toys for big boys... That was fantastic.

I like your sarcasm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭pprendeville

I saw on bikebiz that An Garda are down as one of the exhibitors. I'm not aware of any company trading with such a name so I assume it's An Garda Síochána. What exactly will they be exhibiting?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

I saw on bikebiz that An Garda are down as one of the exhibitors. I'm not aware of any company trading with such a name so I assume it's An Garda Síochána. What exactly will they be exhibiting?

A few years ago they had a fella taking serial numbers for the stolen bike database.

• Advertisement

That's pretty decent of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Perhaps....

Road Safety ? ( lights, hi-vis, helmets, mandatory equipment on a bike ( ie independent brake on fixed)

Rules of the Road as thry apply to cyclists (many I see each day could benefit)

Demonstrating the best and worst type of locks? ( not all locks are created equally.....:-) )

Helpful stuff like that or looking for recruits for their cycle force ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭jackstaff

Think il remove that idea of myself and 3 kids heading into the cycle show for the so.

Any other places or idea to entertain my lovely brats

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Perhaps....

Road Safety ? ( lights, hi-vis, helmets, mandatory equipment on a bike ( ie independent brake on fixed)

Rules of the Road as thry apply to cyclists (many I see each day could benefit)

Demonstrating the best and worst type of locks? ( not all locks are created equally.....:-) )

Helpful stuff like that or looking for recruits for their cycle force ;-)

Hadn't thought of all that. Good points.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

jackstaff wrote: »
    Think il remove that idea of myself and 3 kids heading into the cycle show for the so.

Any other places or idea to entertain my lovely brats
    Apparently there's an Ideal Homes Show on at the RDS. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Tenshot

I called in for a few hours this morning, since I'll be looking for a new bike over the next couple of months.

It was better than I expected, tbh. There seemed to be a lot more exhibitors than last year and plenty of stands selling things. Most were offering discounts on accessories, clothing, etc and some had show discounts on bikes as well.

I saw a few things I hadn't seen before - Pedibal had a backpack cover/vest with integrated lighting and signalling, operated wirelessly from a handlebar remote. I've never been a big fan of bike-mounted indicators but this actually looked pretty good.

The kids enjoyed the test track, especially the John Deere bike and fat bikes.

I didn't end up buying a bike but I picked up a new jacket and some other discounted bits and pieces which more than covered the entry price so happy overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭gizajob

They were charging €5 in today for adults - kids were free
    Not busy and some good bargains - there was a dutch crowd that weren't too happy with numbers but had good discounts as did most everyone because foot flow was down. kids were able to test bikes and zipping around on anything they could - Garda were giving the best freebies :eek: - lights (tiny little things) and puncture repair kits

• Registered Users Posts: 8,058 ✭✭✭buffalo

I was out here yesterday, it was a great chance to have a talk directly to vendors of various products. Got to try various nutrition stuff (though couldn't blag any free take-home samples), see different jerseys than the usual, and have a peek at some stuff that normally wouldn't pop into my mostly-racing oriented world. And the BMX and trials skills show that I caught was excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Eric Pode of Croydon

At a loose end yesterday I ended up, against my better judgment, going to the show. Felt a bit better about it when I saw they had reduced the entry fee to just a fiver. Bought a few bits and pieces at discounted prices. Spoke to one of the vendors who told me the show had been very badly attended. He had to pay €1,000 just to have a stand and had to fit it out himself. While he made a few sales he would not break even. When I put it to him that a tenner at the door was a big disincentive he sounded surprised that it cost so much to get in. I suspect the fiver on Sunday was probably in response to the poor turnout on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,058 ✭✭✭buffalo

I think with the lovely weather, a lot of potential attendees would've made the call to spend their time on the bike rather than indoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

At a loose end yesterday I ended up, against my better judgment, going to the show. Felt a bit better about it when I saw they had reduced the entry fee to just a fiver. Bought a few bits and pieces at discounted prices. Spoke to one of the vendors who told me the show had been very badly attended. He had to pay €1,000 just to have a stand and had to fit it out himself. While he made a few sales he would not break even. When I put it to him that a tenner at the door was a big disincentive he sounded surprised that it cost so much to get in. I suspect the fiver on Sunday was probably in response to the poor turnout on Saturday.

After the first show a few years ago..i received a call from one of the organisers looking for feedback. I pointed out that IMO holding the show in the RDS and charging people in was a big turn off for a lot of people.

I thought they had taken this on board last year when the show was held in Merrion square, so I was very surprised to hear that they went back to the RDS this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

buffalo wrote: »
    I think with the lovely weather, a lot of potential attendees would've made the call to spend their time on the bike rather than indoors.

Bang on.

A cycle show should be held from October to End Feb. That would make sense but probably won't happen because there are other events taking these slots.

I pity the exhibitors. The cost of the exhibitions at RDS is always mad money ( with no reliable footfall stats to back up the fees). It just means once bitten twice shy, and they will be unlikely to take part again (making it even harder for the event to be successful going forward)

Advertisement