Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish cycling show 2015 RDS 18/19th April

Options
  • 13-04-2015 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭

Came across this online over the weekend and wondering if it's worth a visit or what previous years were like.

http://www.irishcyclingshow.ie

€10 entry for the day

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭QueensGael

I went a few years ago, thinking I'd be able to buy some stuff (like one can at the craft show or K&S show for example). I was looking for cycling shoes and new gloves, but no joy. All they had were display models, which weren't for sale. Not sure if it has changed since then, but I haven't gone back.

So whether it's worth going to depends on what you want to get out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

It's ok, have been to them all because I got free tickets. There wasn't much to buy last year either. Rapha had a good amount of stock for sale and free coffee and cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Rua_ri

I have been to 3 of these shows and don't think its worth the entrance fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Eric Pode of Croydon

For what its worth I went to last year's show in Merrion Square. Entered and much to my surprise won a competition for a Fizik saddle.

Several e mails and almost 10 months later I finally managed to have my prize rather begrudgingly sent to me. While I cant blame all the exhibitors for the attitude of one of the major English exhibitors I was clearly not impressed.

Would I pay a tenner again to see what was on show last year regardless of that particular experience - No.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Defo not worth a tenner in.

If I recall last years shows, in the Merrion Square, it was on the same weekend as stage 3 of the Giro finished in Dublin and there was no entry fee in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Craig06

I do think it's poor form to charge in considering the large price charged to exhibitors. Surely give free entry thus encouraging more exhibitors by having a higher traffic of people

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭DaithiMC

mjp wrote: »
    Came across this online over the weekend and wondering if it's worth a visit or what previous years were like.

http://www.irishcyclingshow.ie

€10 entry for the day

If its anything like last year it is not worth €10 entry fee, in fact I think it is cheeky to expect people to pay in and will probably be a barrier to the companies trying to get sales. I would expect it probably to be of lower standard given that last year also had the Giro on at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Everything at the RDS is crap. It's like a temple of crapness.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

Lumen wrote: »

Surely not. What about those Chris de Burgh concerts they used to hold there?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

The Horse Show is epic. Once of my favorite events of the year. It takes over every single bit of it and over to Simmonscourt. It's a temple of equestrian awesomeness the first week of August!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,719 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

gadetra wrote: »
    The Horse Show is epic. Once of my favorite events of the year. It takes over every single bit of it and over to Simmonscourt. It's a temple of equestrian awesomeness the first week of August!

Delighted to hear that as I've forked out for 3 season tickets for me and 2 daughters in August!

Beasty wrote: »
    Delighted to hear that as I've forked out for 3 season tickets for me and 2 daughters in August!

I've gone the full 5 days every year bar last year for the last 11 years. It really is amazing, there's so much going on, even for an unhorsey person, there's so much to see.

There are at least 4 classes going on at any one time, between jumping and showing, the breeding classes are great.
    The classes of the show for me is the 3 year old loose jumping, fantastic view into what breeding and crosses are doing what. The eventing loose jumping too, but it's in a very tight arena.
    The breeders classic is a close second to the loose jumping, as mare and foal are judged. Then the stallion classes/parades. The broodmare furtuity (sp?)

The international warm up would educate you just looking alone. Watching the best in the world warm up is something I never tire of. Listening to the chef d'equipe's and coaches is amazing too, especially on the Friday.

Aw I love the horse show! It's one of the last links to my past life. That and the coming 3 year old at home! I hope to have him sold by then though or the father will actually kill me...

I'll see ya there!

gadetra wrote: »
    I knew someone would bring that up. I won't go to the Horse Show because if I did I'd have to buy a horse and I won't do that because they killed Superman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Don't say that... I have to go to the Ideal Homes exhibition this week. The holiday show was great, I got 15 free pens.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,248 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Lots of Leinster Fans would strongly disagree...as would those who visit Ireland every year to watch or take part in thr Horse Show.

The bike show is crap though...just an attempt to cash in further on the cycling boom.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,719 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I knew someone would bring that up. I won't go to the Horse Show because if I did I'd have to buy a horse and I won't do that because they killed Superman.
    There's no way I'm going there just to buy something on impulse.....

....is there?????

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Lots of Leinster Fans would strongly disagree
    What's a "Leinster Fan"? Is there some sort of sport whose advocates are so self-important that the name of the sport isn't a required qualifier?

Like "racing fans". And we're back to horses again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Lots of Leinster Fans would strongly disagree...as would those who visit Ireland every year to watch or take part in thr Horse Show.

The bike show is crap though...just an attempt to cash in further on the cycling boom.

Leinster what? which sport is that? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

What's a "Leinster Fan"? Is there some sort of sport whose advocates are so self-important that the name of the sport isn't a required qualifier?

Like "racing fans". And we're back to horses again.

It's a bit like "United" fans. Peterborough? Colchester? Carlisle? Oxford?, Sheffield? Newcastle? No, there's only one club who feel they don't need to use a qualifier...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

If there's a stand advising on how to buy less stuff, I'm there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭kevin700

Rua_ri wrote: »
    I have been to 3 of these shows and don't think its worth the entrance fee.
    Thanks for the info

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Mattie500

Can I take it that people are saying it would not be worth travelling from Cork for the day with the kids? A trip to the LBS to get something that I "might" need would serve the same purpose?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Mattie500 wrote: »
    Can I take it that people are saying it would not be worth travelling from Cork for the day with the kids? A trip to the LBS to get something that I "might" need would serve the same purpose?

Yep, wouldn't bother making the trip. It's not a patch on bike shows elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

Well, you get out of Cork for a day. So there's that.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭columbus_66

The Ideal Homes exhibition is on this weekend as well in the RDS Simmonscourt so you could do both, parking may be tricky though!

It's a bit like "United" fans. Peterborough? Colchester? Carlisle? Oxford?, Sheffield? Newcastle? No, there's only one club who feel they don't need to use a qualifier...

Whatever you think there's only oneunited ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Beasty wrote: »
    Whatever you think there's only oneunited ;)
    It should be Manchester Divided.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Mattie500

Well, you get out of Cork for a day. So there's that.

Hadn't looked at it that way... as tempting as it sounds I might stay put. the dubs wouldn't understand a word I would say and I could end up hungry.

Hadn't looked at it that way... as tempting as it sounds I might stay put. the dubs wouldn't understand a word I would say and I could end up hungry.

There are plenty if us culchie immigrants up here in Dublin to translate for you. Just do the special signal...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

As I've been reminded before, I'm not a culchie... apparently, I'm what Dubliners lovingly refer to as a Nordie Bastard.

Advertisement