Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Winterizing your boat.

• 24-09-2012 10:54am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just some basic tips for you to be thinking about before the cold weather hits. Over the last few years I have seen lots of cracked engines blocks and burst seacocks that end up costing a lot money to fix so for the little bit of time and effort it takes to winterise it's well worth it. http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/winteriz.htm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Daibheid

That's a good link Fergal but I hope it's a bit early to be winterizing.

Metnioned here is a common error in winterizing - the assumption that running an outboard until it stops with the fuel shut-off leaves the carbs dry. Far from it - the only way to do this is to undo the carb drain plugs and run the fuel off the bowls. Most engines have carb drain plugs but some smaller carbs may not in which case you can just remove the carb bowl (or simply tip up the entire engine). Two strokes are less likely to give trouble with undrained carbs (bigger bore jets) but fourstrokes are definitely worth draining if unused for over a month.

Now here's a winter question, has an outboard gear case ever been frost damaged by the water collecting in the exhaust passage where the engine was left tilted up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Good link Fergal, was only thinking about winterising last week, going to leave it another month to try get another few days on the lake first if possible!! :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

You guys are probably ok for another few weeks but if you could see the water here on the east coast you'd be wishing you had taken your boat out last week:D

I haven't seen a gearbox with frost damage "yet" they say to keep the engine upright for proper drainage, if it's left tilted it might hold a small bit of water but I think if it did freeze there would be enough room for it to expand without bursting anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Godsentme

alan1990 wrote: »
    Good link Fergal, was only thinking about winterising last week, going to leave it another month to try get another few days on the lake first if possible!! :D

Me too!:p I'm on the Suir at Waterford and the Estuary banks are beautiful colours now. End of the month and i'll put her to bed for the winter.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Here you go airsoftone. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭airsoftone

just found it fergal cheers man . really sorry for hijacking your boat thread once again my apologies ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Username Exists.

Dragging up this thread as I have a few questions.
    I'm storing my boat on the driveway, boat is new to me this year so first winter.
    It has a 40hp tohatsu 2 stroke direct injection outboard. I've had a read through Fergal's link at the top of this thread.
    So...
    It was last run in freshwater so that's ok. Do I need to do something extra to drain excess water from the engine like open a plug?
    Fuel tank is stored away in the shed, should I run the engine to use up any fuel left in the engine itself, not sure on this as it's direct injection so no carb to drain?
    Should I keep the engine tilted (45 degrees) or should I put it in the down (motoring) position?
    Would it be a good idea to cover it with a blanket and plastic cover to keep most of the frost away?

Sorry for all the questions but no point finding this stuff out next April.
    Thanks for the link Fergal, boat is cleared and powerhosed.

Thanks all.

I leave mine down so it will drain it's self I also start it up a few times over the winter just to put new fuel in the carb infact I had her running today :) other than that she should be fine spring isn't far away :) just check that the gear oil has no water in it as this can freeze and crack the gearbox.

Thanks Fergal.
    Nothing to get too worried about then.
    I'll give it a once over at the weekend and keep an eye on the weather.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Make sure the boat is insured and as secure as possible against theft. Can the engine be easily removed by you for safekeeping ?
    Jim

• Advertisement

Hi Jim

Yes boat is insured, engine is fixed (bolted) and sealed to the back of the boat and quite heavy too i'd imagine.
    Still theft is always a problem, boat has a hitch lock and is kept in a relatively secure garden.
    Any one have any other tips for security, i'm wondering now if I should remove one wheel from the trailer?

Quick google, engine is 93.5 KG. They won't run away with it anyway :eek:

Advertisement