Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Facebooking dead people

Options
2»

Comments

I know of a teenager who died the week before Christmas, his mam writes on his wall almost every day, I'm not friends with her or with him, but a lot of my friends are so when people comment or like a status, it ends up in my feed.

I don't like it. It's not for me.

However, people grieve differently, people don't follow a set of rules when they lose a loved one - such rules simply don't exist because none of us are the same. Although someone else may lose a child in similar circumstances to this lady, noone will ever know what she's feeling except her.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭BidillyBo

What's worse is memorial pages. One was setup for a friend of mine who I've written about far too frequently for my liking on boards over the past few months, but anyway -- someone made a memorial page for her and then started posting christian messages and weird totally non-related pictures and things to the girl, obviously just because between just two of the memorial pages there are 30,000 "fans".

Fcuking sick people in this world

That's another one I never get. Sorry about your friend but I'm sure they didn't have 30000 friends, some people seem to just click onto every rip page that pops up, I don't know are they trying to seem caring or what their reason is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

I guess if I didn't do it myself I would say it is weird. My brother died nearly 2 years ago he was 22. We were incredibly close and always had a laugh on Facebook. I got his page memorialised after he died. I go onto his page maybe once a week but last year I would have been on his page a lot more. It comforts me to see his friends haven't forgotten about him. He went suddenly and accidentally so it's nice to be able to look back on the stuff he would post up as he was hilariously funny and I miss him terribly. I can tell you with all honestly that it's not for attention. It's just a place to go that he used a lot. I go to his grave also of course each week.

Edited to say after my brother died he got about 50 friend requests which I thought was peculiar. I declined every one of them. I also got about 30 friend requests that I declined. Friends of friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

One of my friends was murdered just over a year ago and people still write on her page most days and tag her in photos they've found of her. I think it's just a way to deal with it all. She was very popular, very young and her death was tragic and sudden.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Whether I think I'd do it myself or not, criticising people for how they deal with the loss of someone close isn't cool. Loads of stuff in the FB thread on here makes me cringe but this is something I won't ever judge someone on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭cuana

A close friend of mine passed away though none of us tend to post comments on his page I do enjoy occasionally going through a picture of memories :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

La_Gordy wrote: »
    An acquaintance of mine was murdered two years ago and I had to block his Facebook page as our friends posting on it was so upsetting, and I'd upset myself by looking at things he said, YouTube clips he posted, things he laughed at. What pushed me to blocking it really though was when people posted pictures of his funeral and for fear they'd start tagging his casket I had to. Awful awful this Facebook pish

Yeah - this one got me. Taking photos at a funeral. Is this remotely normal or ok?

A few years ago, I had to stop myself from doing it. I was telling my uncle in Australia who couldn't make it home all about the funeral. I was reading his memorial piece at the church.
    Anyway, for some reason, I came out the wrong door of the church, and I was standing half way up to the graveyard watching the funeral procession coming up. I had the phone in my hand, ready to take a few photos for my uncle & then thought 'what the fcuk are you doing? Taking photos at a funeral'. So I stopped.

To me, it seems weird. But then maybe it is ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

I know someone who used to call their dead relative's phone just so they could listen to their voice on the voicemail.
    Muir wrote: »
    Like I know people who have text/left voicemails for people who passed away which would never be seen or heard so it wasn't an attention thing, but it helped them.

These broke my heart, I'm in tears! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

donvito99 wrote: »
    Someone could "frape" them saying, "I'm back, bitches" or something along those crude lines.
    a vile waster from the UK did that; setting up accounts under peoples names who were killled in difficult circumstances [apologies from the bottom of heart for posting a daily mail link]-
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2036935/Natasha-MacBryde-death-Facebook-internet-troll-Sean-Duffy-jailed.html
    thankfuly got jailed for it.

as for this facebook praying thing going on,can understand if it helps people come to terms with it,perhaps help them feel like the person may even see it from wherever they are-if that is their belief and it helps them then so be it.
    its common practice on catster;which is like facebook but for peoples cats instead.
    its good to celebrate their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭da_shivsta

I look at my friend's page, but nobody has commented since he died. The last comment is his best, closest friend and I think it's right that it's left that way. It brings tears to me when I see it and I've never wanted to write on his wall but then some people just deal differently. My uncle's partner took pics of him in his coffin. Another family member has pics on FB of her baby that sadly passed away. I don't like to see them but I just hide from my News Feed and let her grieve whichever way she needs....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    Yeah - this one got me. Taking photos at a funeral. Is this remotely normal or ok?

A few years ago, I had to stop myself from doing it. I was telling my uncle in Australia who couldn't make it home all about the funeral. I was reading his memorial piece at the church.
    Anyway, for some reason, I came out the wrong door of the church, and I was standing half way up to the graveyard watching the funeral procession coming up. I had the phone in my hand, ready to take a few photos for my uncle & then thought 'what the fcuk are you doing? Taking photos at a funeral'. So I stopped.

To me, it seems weird. But then maybe it is ok.

I have a whole story about a guy who came to my friend's funeral, took pictures and posted them all on Facebook with the casket tagged as her. I've posted it on here a few times. One of the most self-centered, disrespectful things I've ever witnessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

I think someone going on to a deceased persons page to look at old pictures is understandable. What I don't get are people who link songs from Youtube quoting "For you Dad..." and stuff like that.

A few weeks back I saw someone who had their status as "Mam, I don't know if they have Facebook in heaven but just in case they do - Happy Birthday". Silly thing is I don't think she even had a Facebook page when she was alive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Maybe it brings comfort to some people to that their son, brother or whatever is being remembered. It's not something I'd do myself but I wouldn't criticise someone else for doing it if they get something out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

i will be telling my best mate to take controll of my fb account , change my picture to a zombie one of me and start talking to people

i trust him not to be rude , crude or upset anyone , but to have some fun with it.
    my wife has been told and does not mind , its not for a long term thing , just to freak a few people out :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭RoryMac

I dunno. It might seem strange that it's public, but I know people who still have the phone numbers of dead relatives on their phones and won't delete any messages from them. I know someone who used to call their dead relative's phone just so they could listen to their voice on the voicemail. I doubt she's the only person who's done that. Maybe the Facebook thing is just a newer version of that. I think it's part of the grieving process.
    Someone better warn them that the mobile provider recycles unused numbers after about a year, you don't want to be there when the called phone answers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

IzzyWizzy wrote: »
    I have a whole story about a guy who came to my friend's funeral, took pictures and posted them all on Facebook with the casket tagged as her. I've posted it on here a few times. One of the most self-centered, disrespectful things I've ever witnessed.

That is horrific. I presume he didn't even realise how inconsiderate that was. Did anyone ever say anything to him? Did the family know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    That is horrific. I presume he didn't even realise how inconsiderate that was. Did anyone ever say anything to him? Did the family know?

Some people don't seem to know where the line is. It's a bit disturbing to hear of people whipping out cameras at funerals, never mind posting the pictures on facebook. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

RoryMac wrote: »
    Someone better warn them that the mobile provider recycles unused numbers after about a year, you don't want to be there when the called phone answers!!

It's already happened. Heard someone on the Ray D'Arcy show talking about that years ago. They petitioned the company to save the number or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

I've seen two different sets of open casket photos on Facebook. One was somebody I didn't know but I still found it upsetting and disrespectful. When it was my friend I felt very angry but this was done because none of his family could make it to the funeral. I hated it, hence the preemptive blocking, and I doubt it brought them any comfort but who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

Scruffles wrote: »
    a vile waster from the UK did that; setting up accounts under peoples names who were killled in difficult circumstances [apologies from the bottom of heart for posting a daily mail link]-
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2036935/Natasha-MacBryde-death-Facebook-internet-troll-Sean-Duffy-jailed.html
    thankfuly got jailed for it.

That meme is horrific

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

I wonder though are these kinds of considerations just current social mores which will fade away as social media becomes more & more integrated into our lives. Years ago when mobile phone use started to become widespread it was frowned upon (by most people anyway) to take a call when out in a cafe/pub, you'd step outside to do so rather than chatting away in front of your companions. Nowadays, unless it's too noisy or the signal is bad people generally seem to be fine with chatting/texting/twittering on their phones while out - ignoring the person/people with them until they're finished.

Will stuff like tagging people's coffins ("John has just checked into Mount Jerome Cemetary"), etc which now seems incredibly crass & stupid become perfectly normal over time, as has happened with previously unacceptable mobile phone behaviour?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭RoryMac

AnonoBoy wrote: »

It's already happened. Heard someone on the Ray D'Arcy show talking about that years ago. They petitioned the company to save the number or something like that.
    Yeah that was the one I heard too

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

PlainP wrote: »
    Philosophist???
    Psycho something?
    Literacy skills are not there anymore, English isn't my first language btw...

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

Posting on the wall is a bit much, but to message someone who you would always talk to when they were alive is not weird at all. It's a bit of comfort, to feel like things havent changed that much. Someone I know died a while back and I think it made it easier for people to comment on their Facebook in the same way they always did. Maybe it's unhealthy I don't know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

I post music videos to a friends' wall who passed away last year every now and again. I think about him often and, visiting his page and looking up things we did on Facebook is....not exactly a comfort, it doesn't make me feel better, but it's just something I do, to remember him by, because he was a cool guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Bookworm85

Custardpi wrote: »
    Facebook & Twitter have become so much a part of people's lives that before long we'll see gravestones with integrated scrolling FB/Twitter feeds on them. Actually I'm surprised we haven't seen that already.

It's closer than you think!!!

http://www.monuments.com/living-headstones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Pinklady11

I know one family when their mother died, one of the children who lives abroad couldn't make it home for the funeral so they had someone come and video it. Although I can understand the reasoning behind it was still so strange.

Also have another friend on facebook who's mother died a number of years ago and he would regularly post status update's like "miss you so much ma" and "I'll be down to see you later ma".

Very odd behaviour imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

RoryMac wrote: »

She doesn't do it anymore. It was in the months immediately after the death. Just a way of coping, I think.

Advertisement