Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview Box with NAS Streaming and IPTV

Options
  • 22-10-2014 7:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

I plan on buying a NAS in the near future. Is there a set top box/media player that I will allow me to tune into Saorview, and that will allow me to view media located on my NAS, as well as viewing IPTV such as Netflix?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭branners69

JonnieC wrote: »
    I plan on buying a NAS in the near future. Is there a set top box/media player that I will allow me to tune into Saorview, and that will allow me to view media located on my NAS, as well as viewing IPTV such as Netflix?

I have never heard of a box that does all that you require. But you could pick up an Android TV box which would let you stream using XBMC from the RTE website for certain Saorview channels. You could also view your media on your NAS and you can install the Netflix app. There is also a lot more you can do which cant really be discussed on boards!

This is the one I use! It was around €150 delivered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 JonnieC

Thanks Branners,

Looks decent, but I'm still holding out hope that I can find the silver bullet. Its very annoying though....

The Amiko Alien 2+ can be used with my NAS, can tune Saorview, but cannot support Netflix

The Roku 3 supports Netflix, NAS but has no tuner.

The O!Play Media Pro has a DVB-T tuner, but does not support Netflix. The O!Play Mini Plus Netflix does what it says on the tin, but has no tuner... (Is someone having a laugh?)

The best I think I can see is the WDTV Live with a Hauppauge USB stick, that I read about on Boards. But I wouldn't be able to handle the 5 seconds to change a channel

Serious first world problems going on here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

some of the more advanced panasonic freeview HD boxes should do the trick.
    like this one
    http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd-blu-ray/digital-tv-services/freeview/panasonic-dmr-hwt130eb-freeview-hd-recorder-500-gb-21445531-pdt.html

the problem in general is that most boxes are primarily for the uk market, and they often have the YouView service which has till now its own video library from the various telecom networks (BT or Virgin or whoever) .

News though is that folks like yourself also want netflix, so a couple of weeks back aparantly contracts were signed to allow netflix onto youview boxes

some of the more advanced panasonic freeview HD boxes should do the trick.

I dont think the freeview boxes would let you stream your media from a NAS would it?

You might have to try a smart Blu Ray player with built in freeview like this. This will definitely have the Netflix app and should let you play from your NAS. I have an older Panasonic bluray player and it lets me stream.

I have a WDTV Live and it plays anything I throw at it! It also acts like a NAS, any hard drives attached to it can be seen and streamed from! I use the Minix in the front room to stream from a hard drive attached to the WDTV Live in the playroom.

I wouldnt use the WDTV for Netflix very often, I would sooner use the Apple TV 3 for Netflix!

Actually, what about a Playstation 3? They released a TV Tuner for it, it has the Netflix app and would stream from your NAS!

Here is a Youtube video of Saorview on a PS3!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

branners69 wrote: »
    Actually, what about a Playstation 3? They released a TV Tuner for it, it has the Netflix app and would stream from your NAS!

Here is a Youtube video of Saorview on a PS3!

For some strange reason this video won't load for me..

Hmmmmm..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

This is the one I use! It was around €150 delivered.

It is not compatible with Sony or Samsung devices. Just in case anyone misses that.

It is not compatible with Sony or Samsung devices. Just in case anyone misses that.

What do you mean?? How or why is it not compatible with Sony or Samsung devices?

I had a PS3 before but I think I want to go the set top box route....I think the Panasonic mentioned by munchkin_utd is the job! Its DLNA certified so it will act as a NAS Client...

I'm going to go with Synology DiskStation DS415play (All my Media) >> Panasonic DMRHWT130 (Saorview & Netflix) and ditch UPC TV.

Thanks for your help!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I would think, other than building your own box, that a small PC (even Intel NUC or competitor) running your favourite OS with a USB attached tuner might be the way to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

I had a PS3 before but I think I want to go the set top box route....I think the Panasonic mentioned by munchkin_utd is the job! Its DLNA certified so it will act as a NAS Client...

I'm going to go with Synology DiskStation DS415play (All my Media) >> Panasonic DMRHWT130 (Saorview & Netflix) and ditch UPC TV.

Thanks for your help!

If recording is important for you, stay away from that Panny. Series link is no longer working in it so planning a recording is iffy.

If recording is important for you, stay away from that Panny. Series link is no longer working in it so planning a recording is iffy.

Hey - Àny reason why its not working? Are other people seeing this too?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

• Registered Users Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

I dont think the freeview boxes would let you stream your media from a NAS would it?
    the panasonic i linked does
    A DLNA feature lets you access other DLNA devices around your home to stream videos and music
    ok, the nas would need to support that, but its possible with the device.

Yea, the Panasonic ticks the streaming box alright.

I thought I had is all sorted with DiskStation DS415play (All my Media streaming to) >> Panasonic DMRHWT130 (With Saorview & Netflix)...

But now after reading the thread Kristopherus pointed out, I'm not so sure....paying 200 + quid for a box that does not series link. No thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭bridster007

Note that the Panasonic does not allow streaming while a recording is in progress. It kicks out the network function.

Note that the Panasonic does not allow streaming while a recording is in progress. It kicks out the network function.

Is there a similar box that allows streaming?

Advertisement