Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NCT & Window Tinting failure

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Looks like the same machine I've seen the UK cops using on Road Wars and the like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Another farce of a test!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

hey cosmo, how do the sensors actually stick to the glass so they line up opposite eachother? I see a sucker on each wire but that hardly is used to attach the sensor to the glass?

Do you 'zero' the unit first before use by putting the sensors together without anything between them to get a reading of 100%?

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

@lex

There is a little magnet in each sensor, that holds them in place. And yes, the machine is calibrated (with a piece of ...um... how do I describe it.....calibrated glass?) before each test. Its all very simple, the whole procedure takes less then a minute.

Cosmo K wrote: »
    @lex

There is a little magnet in each sensor, that holds them in place. And yes, the machine is calibrated (with a piece of ...um... how do I describe it.....calibrated glass?) before each test. Its all very simple, the whole procedure takes less then a minute.

cosmo, does this piece of glass have 2 different tints on it? For an optics calibration it really should have to compare one end of the spectrum to the other. Only doing a check at one end does not verify the full range and I would be dubious then of any results the unit produces

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

How does this effect Limos? Are they in a special class of vehicle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Teddy Daniels

http://turnkey-instruments.com/road.php?id=17

seems fair enough
    4 or 5 different reference glasses
    glad to see its not a comnparison test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,429 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Hagar wrote: »
    How does this effect Limos? Are they in a special class of vehicle?

Limos are fine, it's only tested on driver and passenger windows and the front windscreen.

4 or 5 different reference glasses

where do you see this? I only noted a factory calibration at 4 different levels but not a field calibration of 4 or 5 plastics...

• Advertisement

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    where do you see this? I only noted a factory calibration at 4 different levels but not a field calibration of 4 or 5 plastics...

Sorry I mean 4 or five for calibration. Then one for field reference.
    The fith being the "zero ring"

Sorry I mean 4 or five for calibration. Then one for field reference.
    The fith being the "zero ring"

It would all depend on how often they go back for factory calibration but I still recommend with any optical device you need to have 2 references for the field calibration. Considering how often these devices are used daily & the environment they operate in.

If I had my windows tested and they were borderline in the failure zone, I would request the optics cleaned and retested with the plastic as a minimum before retesting the car

I wonder are the car windows cleaned off by the NCT operator on the section of glass to ensure the best possible results?

I would think that if you had any form of tint you would be well advised to clean those windows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Hi, rather than start a new thread I'd thought I'd post here.

Can anyone tell me whether a car with vinyl on the back passenger windows and boot window, but the driver window and front passenger window and windscreen untouched, would pass the NCT with this window tinting rule? As far as I know, it's only applicable to the front windows, I'm hoping so anyway :)

Any feedback or clarity appreciated!

cormie wrote: »
    Hi, rather than start a new thread I'd thought I'd post here.

Can anyone tell me whether a car with vinyl on the back passenger windows and boot window, but the driver window and front passenger window and windscreen untouched, would pass the NCT with this window tinting rule? As far as I know, it's only applicable to the front windows, I'm hoping so anyway :)

Any feedback or clarity appreciated!

only front driver & passenger windows are tested

Advertisement