Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

POOR MIDLANDS/EAST CANAL FISHING

Options
  • 26-06-2013 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭

After anxiously waiting for some sport on the canals this summer I have been majorly disappointed to date. In the last two months I have fished canals all over Kildare, Laois and some in Offaly. Not once have I bagged anything of a decent size, or catches of a decent weight.
    Now I'm no Matt Hayes but I know the basics fairly well and always try account for variables like condition (and species) appropriate tackle, light, weather, general environment etc, but that being said, there's not even as much fish in plain sight in the canals as before.
    I've spoken to friends and many fellow random anglers and the consensus seems to be the same.
    So, simple question, where have all the fish gone?? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭whelzer

I spoke to a couple of lads diving in the canal in Kildare early last winter (I was spinning for perch/pike). They reckoned they had never seen so many fish before in a particular stretch - they had pictures/movies from a digital camera. I'm not saying there is no issue on the canals but these lads seemed to know their stuff. Also wasn't there a thread on here last year about how they drained a short section of the canal - it could have been 1km, there something 20K fish in it!! Apparently is was on RTE as well....

Here ya go http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=76050520

2k stretch, 30K+ adult fish....

Maybe your no good at catching....joke! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭EireIceMan

Whelser was it that 'Underwater Ireland' on youtube?

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭leddpipe

whelzer wrote: »
    I spoke to a couple of lads diving in the canal in Kildare early last winter (I was spinning for perch/pike). They reckoned they had never seen so many fish before in a particular stretch - they had pictures/movies from a digital camera. I'm not saying there is no issue on the canals but these lads seemed to know their stuff. Also wasn't there a thread on here last year about how they drained a short section of the canal - it could have been 1km, there something 20K fish in it!! Apparently is was on RTE as well....

Here ya go http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=76050520

2k stretch, 30K+ adult fish....

Maybe your no good at catching....joke! :)

hahaha maybe so, it isn't my preferred method of fishing!but lets even remove my own ability (or lack thereof), I'm not even seeing anything approaching the amount of fish as in previous years, and water visibility is generally good!they just aren't there in the same numbers, lots of stretches of almost barren canal.
    but yeh that youtube channel is great, excellent video from pollardstown fen, just up the road from myself.

Advertisement