Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grand Canal

Options
  • 17-12-2011 4:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭

Anyone else finding the water level on the Canal at Ticknevin unseasonably low?:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭shanemurphyboy

WOW :eek: was it drained?? did this stretch hold a stock of fish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

WOW :eek: was it drained?? did this stretch hold a stock of fish?

Yes it was drained. An approximate 2000 meter stretch was dammed, the water level lowered, fish were relocated and the section was pumped to the current level!

The work was carried out by IFI and WI to eradicate an invasive weed, the New Zealand Pygmyweed.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭cdublin

Bizzum, did you get to see the quality/quantity of fish that were taken out?

cdublin wrote: »
    Bizzum, did you get to see the quality/quantity of fish that were taken out?

I know how many fish were removed. How many adult fish would you expect in 2000m of the canal?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭cdublin

Adult fish, not sure exactly what species are in that stretch I'm guessing predominantly Roach and to a lesser extent pike, bream etc In 2000m at least 500 + adult fish?

• Advertisement

cdublin wrote: »
    Adult fish, not sure exactly what species are in that stretch I'm guessing predominantly Roach and to a lesser extent pike, bream etc In 2000m at least 500 + adult fish?

Roach, Bream,Perch, Tench, Rudd, Pike, Eel and some hybrids.

Perch/Eel hybrids are cool:D

Anyone else care to throw their hat in the ring with a guess?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Pike/Roach hybrids - even cooler :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

2000m stretch... maybe 1300 fish... is there a prize bizzum???? a hybrid maybe ?

2000m stretch... maybe 1300 fish... is there a prize bizzum???? a hybrid maybe ?

Ah............The elusive Percheel shall be the prize. If I can catch one:D

Christ I had forgotten all about this thread.

The answer is: Due to the numbers involved very difficult to be accurate...........However that being said there were between 30 and 35 thousand adult fish.
    I think it's safe to say no one would have predicted such numbers;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭whelzer

Wow, I was thinking a few thousand!!

30k+ fish in in 2 km stretch. Thats a lot of fish, must have been a big effort moving them. Any pics of the operation?

whelzer wrote: »
    Thats a lot of fish, must have been a big effort moving them. Any pics of the operation?

I wasn't there when they moved the fish so I've no pic's, but I spoke to the guy that co-ordinated the work after the event.
    It took the team 5 good days to move them, and the moving was the easy part because they were moving them no distance.
    Some of the lads that took part in it were saying that they were sick of the sight of fish at the end of the week!

Advertisement