Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SuperValu having a laugh!

Options
  • 22-09-2014 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Was interested to see Super Valu's TV ad telling us all to buy Irish....went in there today to buy Avonmore soup - none on the shelves and the guy in the store suggested I take Cully and Sully - American owned and made in the UK - priceless! - maybe tell their advertising department!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deub

Euh... I m not getting it. It is nice from the staff to propose you alternative. It can happen they run out. Maybe the advertising is working too well :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,865 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Avonmore owned by Glanbia which is an international corporation, so hardly an Irish cottage industry!

Is Cully & Sully really made in the UK? I don't think ownership matters any more, nothing much stays Irish if it grows to any decent size, but I thought their production was still here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Avonmore owned by Glanbia which is an international corporation, so hardly an Irish cottage industry!

Is Cully & Sully really made in the UK? I don't think ownership matters any more, nothing much stays Irish if it grows to any decent size, but I thought their production was still here?

Of course Glanbia is Irish. It may be multi national but it is head quartered and incorporated in Ireland. Cully & Scully is now US owned. Production is here but profits go abroad.
    A company doesn't have to be a cottage industry to still be Irish with profits and taxes accruing to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

you just cant tell anymore really

double irish n a dutch sambo to go please :

zXN414g.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,998 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Janerose wrote: »
    Was interested to see Super Valu's TV ad telling us all to buy Irish....went in there today to buy Avonmore soup - none on the shelves and the guy in the store suggested I take Cully and Sully - American owned and made in the UK - priceless! - maybe tell their advertising department!!

It was sold out, whats the issue, its not as if they dont have lots of Irish products in the store, did the assistant know you specifically wanted to buy Irish, maybe they dont have any Irish alternative, if they did could you not use your eyes and buy it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

Cully & Scully is now US owned. Production is here but profits go abroad.
    A company doesn't have to be a cottage industry to still be Irish with profits and taxes accruing to Ireland.

It wouldn't surprise me if the reverse has happened and that US company is now officially Irish! Seems to be what a lot of US companies do - buy a foreign company and suddenly you are Canadian/Irish/British for tax purposes.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Being helpful. Whatever next ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

I'd say the store would be very boring if it only stocked Irish made goods. Adverts certainly don't say that they only sell Irish goods, but they do support a lot of small Irish producers especially at local level.

Did you tell the staff member that you were looking for an Irish made soup or just soup. Maybe you knew that Cully and Sully were not Irish made and just wanted to show off your superior knowledge to a shop worker?

What else is not Irish

Charleville cheese (made in their plant in UK)
    Jacob biscuits including fig rolls & mikado!!
    Fruitfield Jams
    Lyons Tea
    HB Icecream
    Boyne Valley Honey
    Erin Soup

Likewise some brands that seem to be from elsewhere ARE made here

Jelly Bean Factory
    Goodfellas Pizza
    Big Als
    Robert roberts
    KP Rancheros & Skips
    All Cadbury flake / timeouts / twirls sold worldwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Janerose

Yes - Super Valu guy was just being helpful - it was his boss that had decided not to stock the Irish product (it wasnt just out of stock!) and I just thought that was a bit rich given their advertising - but as you say use my eyes (and my feet) and if I walk to Dunnes I'll get it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭marcus2000

I'm surprised he didn't recommend the SuperValu own range soups. I would. Butternut Squash is deelish.......... and although it doesn't seem to be advertised, they have been 2 for 3 eur for the past month :)

Id guess the SuperValu range are Irish but they are packaged in a Cully/Sully style tub so who knows!!!

__

According to the Herald, Supervalu soup is made in Tipperary!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Supervalu not beings stocked with something you went in to get?!

That's not much of a shocker to me - my local Supervalu is poorly stocked and usually only when you really need it! Or when something is in the offers leaflet, you suddenly cannot find it in the store.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭SaKuRa

you can't believe anyone these days, Supervalu tell you that they are buying Irish and instead delist an Irish brand to support a an English made brand?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

The Irish are amazingly hypocritical when it comes to "buy Irish" , net exporters that yous are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

OP congratulations on registering for boards to post this non issue.

Let me guess if the guy in the shop didnt propose an alternative you would have ranted that their staff are unhelpful.

Tell ya what next time why not go to your local farmers market pick you the freshly grown irish ingrediants and make your own soup. Youd have it done in the time it took you to register and post this thread.....

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Was interested to see Super Valu's TV ad telling us all to buy Irish.
    delahuntv wrote: »
    Adverts certainly don't say that they only sell Irish goods, but they do support a lot of small Irish producers especially at local level.
    +1, I can't recall seeing these ads telling us to buy Irish, I thought the recent ads were more about the company being Irish owned, and not sending the shops profits abroad or something along those lines.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Selection of recent supervalue adverts on http://www.redragefilms.com/

They go on about stocking Irish foods, having quality foods, tasty foods, value for money, special offers but nothing specifically on the lines of what the OP has said.

Oh and also they say buy local, but thats nothing the same as buy Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 11,998 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Anything further to add OP or have you just posted and run?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Yes - Super Valu guy was just being helpful - it was his boss that had decided not to stock the Irish product (it wasnt just out of stock!) and I just thought that was a bit rich given their advertising - but as you say use my eyes (and my feet) and if I walk to Dunnes I'll get it there.

I don't recall them saying they stock every Irish made product, ever. They're a business not a showcase.

Do you genuinely expect supermarket staff to know that Cully & Sully is now a US based brand?

Sounds like they were being as helpful as could be.

Any supervalu I've been in stocks the Avonmore soups. Surprised your one doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,542 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

How could you tell the difference between "out of stock" and "cannot be bothered to stock" ??

Plus SuperValu is a franchise chain, so most of the stores are not actually owned by SuperValu, plus they can have "regional" promotions, for which not all stores are involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 BFG30000

Avonmore is produced in Ireland and the profits go stay in Ireland. Cully and Sully is produced in Britain and the profits made here go back there. I buy Irish because I believe that you should always look to do so before buying otherwise - the same goes for our shops as well IMO. I live close to a SuperValu who have never stocked it and a Centra who are the exact same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

BFG30000 wrote: »
    Avonmore is produced in Ireland and the profits go stay in Ireland. Cully and Sully is produced in Britain and the profits made here go back there. I buy Irish because I believe that you should always look to do so before buying otherwise - the same goes for our shops as well IMO. I live close to a SuperValu who have never stocked it and a Centra who are the exact same

are Cully and Sully not made in Cork still so they are still irish made?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭caolfx

Fail.

OP, you sound like the type of person who'll moan about anything.

Next.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Posters - your behaviour towards the OP has been quite rude. Argue the post, not the poster.

Any further smart comments will result in immediate bans.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

I'd imagine that Supervalu couldn't give a continental shoite about were the products you spend your money on come from so long as its in a Supervalu where you're spending that money.

Decent, if somewhat non original, concept for an ad campaign all the same. Let's all tug at those patriotic heartstrings...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

P_1 wrote: »
    Decent, if somewhat non original, concept for an ad campaign all the same.
    If such an ad campaign is even going on.

I saw the ad I previously mentioned on TV again, it was all about how shopping in supervalu was allegedly putting money back into the local economy, presumably trying to infer shopping in tesco etc will not. It features footballers or maybe hurlers. I did not hear the ad people telling to buy irish products.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Lisa Parker

Feeling under the weather last week and I asked the hubby to pick me up some avonmore tomato & basil soup in our local supervalu. He returned and tells me that the guy on the floor told him they are not stocking it anymore bit didn't offer any explanation why!! We only have supervalu where I live and avon soup is just the best when your not feeling 100%. Our kids love it too.
    I havent bought Sully & cully since i noticed they removed Irish butter, cream etc from the packs which I deemed compelling enough evidence that their soups/company is no longer Irish - a quick internet search confirmed this - Sold to a US company & manufactured in the UK
    has anyone heard the recent radio adverts about how much we spend on imported produce? think its around 1.6billion?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Feeling under the weather last week and I asked the hubby to pick me up some avonmore tomato & basil soup in our local supervalu. He returned and tells me that the guy on the floor told him they are not stocking it anymore bit didn't offer any explanation why!! We only have supervalu where I live and avon soup is just the best when your not feeling 100%. Our kids love it too.
    I havent bought Sully & cully since i noticed they removed Irish butter, cream etc from the packs which I deemed compelling enough evidence that their soups/company is no longer Irish - a quick internet search confirmed this - Sold to a US company & manufactured in the UK
    has anyone heard the recent radio adverts about how much we spend on imported produce? think its around 1.6billion?

You're not being forced to buy Cully & Sully. What a shop stocks is up to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

Awful lot of new posters singing the praises of Avonmore soup over Cully and Sully.Smells of shill to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

vandriver wrote: »
    Awful lot of new posters singing the praises of Avonmore soup over Cully and Sully.Smells of shill to me.

If you have a suspicion, please use the Report Post function. Do not clog up the thread with off topic comments.

dudara

Advertisement