Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Machine Head Appreciation Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

mloc123 wrote: »
    About to ask the same. Doors are at 7 and no support act... About 8-8.30 on stage?

Olympia website says they're on at 20.30 and finish at 23.00.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Twas a cracking gig, some nice surprises in the set list.

Ears are still ringing and my neck / shoulders are stiff as hell.

Totally worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Twas a cracking gig, some nice surprises in the set list.

Ears are still ringing and my neck / shoulders are stiff as hell.

Totally worth it.

Deaf in one ear this morning... assume it will come back :)

Good gig, played for 2.5 hours and a good mix of all albums.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭hellyeah

Yeah big shout out to machine head. 2.5 hour set was awesome. Gr8 crowd for a sunday, as robb said felt like a Friday night. Never seen the band so tight. Sound was spot on imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,760 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

Great gig, ears still ringing and neck is stiff. Amazing set, some great songs in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 deeeznuuuts

if anyone caught 2 robb flynn plecs and would like to trade for my double of Jareds bass plec get in touch

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

if anyone caught 2 robb flynn plecs and would like to trade for my double of Jareds bass plec get in touch

Haha, they're like buses. I hadn't caught one in years and then that night I got three of Phill's.
    Gave the other two away though.

Gig was very good indeed. The band were indeed tight, and the performance was great.
    In comparison to the academy gig in 2014, the sound was better, but the band appeared to have more enthusiasm and interaction the list time around.
    Setlist was good but was very similar to the last time.
    I'd say it'll be a while before they're back.

Haha, they're like buses. I hadn't caught one in years and then that night I got three of Phill's.
    Gave the other two away though.

Gig was very good indeed. The band were indeed tight, and the performance was great.
    In comparison to the academy gig in 2014, the sound was better, but the band appeared to have more enthusiasm and interaction the list time around.
    Setlist was good but was very similar to the last time.
    I'd say it'll be a while before they're back.

I was thinking about this actually ie the interaction.

I reckon a large part of it could have been to do with the fact the last gig was the final night of their European leg, they hadn't played Dublin in a couple of years, they were heading off home for Christmas and were going on a massive post gig bender. Even the craic with throwing shots of jager to the crowd in the Academy added to the gig IMO, I wonder is it Olympia policy to prohibit this?

I was thinking about this actually ie the interaction.

I reckon a large part of it could have been to do with the fact the last gig was the final night of their European leg, they hadn't played Dublin in a couple of years, they were heading off home for Christmas and were going on a massive post gig bender. Even the craic with throwing shots of jager to the crowd in the Academy added to the gig IMO, I wonder is it Olympia policy to prohibit this?

Could be a reasonable conclusion but I drew a more cynical conclusion.
    I figured they were tired and just going through the motions because this tour was a cash in.
    It was not long before the B&D tour ended and they were hitting the road again, with no new material and no real premise, except that there would be no support act and MH would play a longer set. The set itself was not hugely different from 2014 and with the title 'an evening with', I sincerely expected more interaction.

But that's just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Brand new song Is There Anybody Out There being released on Friday.
    MACHINE HEAD will release a brand new single entitled "Is There Anybody Out There?" on June 3. "The song is about love, loneliness, racism, and not getting what is going on in the world/America," comments guitarist/vocalist Robb Flynn. "It's very much about current events, but applies to a bigger picture."
    "Is There Anybody Out There?" will be made available digitally for purchase (on June 3) on iTunes, Amazon, and Google Play, and will also be available on Spotify, Apple Music, and all streaming services.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,349 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Brand new song Is There Anybody Out There being released on Friday.

You can listen to it here now if you wish http://blog.siriusxm.com/2016/06/01/machine-head-shares-world-premiere-of-new-single-is-there-anybody-out-there-on-octane/

Poor on first listen anyway :(

Has a The Burning Red/Supercharger vibe to it..

Yea I wasn't blown away by it to be honest.

Bumping the thread, because Robb Flynn has confirmed the band are writing new material.

Bumping the thread, because Robb Flynn has confirmed the band are writing new material.

Good, the last album wasn't very good and their albums are like star trek films.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Good, the last album wasn't very good and their albums are like star trek films.

Definitely looking for a reaction. Assuming that you are referring to Bloodstone and Diamonds - average of 5 out of 5 on amazon and 96% on Metacritic. I know taste is subjective, but when an album is overwhelming regarded as excellent by the masses, it would put into doubt the music taste of the tiny minority that go against the grain.

Definitely looking for a reaction. Assuming that you are referring to Bloodstone and Diamonds - average of 5 out of 5 on amazon and 96% on Metacritic. I know taste is subjective, but when an album is overwhelming regarded as excellent by the masses, it would put into doubt the music taste of the tiny minority that go against the grain.

Taste is indeed subjective and you'll be hard pressed to find negative reviews on either of the outlets you've mentioned. Both give high ratings to everything from st.anger to Britney spears.

Bloodstone and diamonds brought nothing new and they're just going through the motions now.

25 years and 8 albums in, I sincerely doubt they care what people on an internet forum think.

Now if you want a band going through the motions, Slayer are a prime example.

As for the "Bloodstone And Diamonds brought nothing new", keyboards and violins were never heard on a Machine Head album until Bloodstone & Diamonds was released.

25 years and 8 albums in, I sincerely doubt they care what people on an internet forum think.

Now if you want a band going through the motions, Slayer are a prime example.

My opinion wasn't submitted for their recognition, just a criticism on a discussion thread. And I agree with you about Slayer.

Over the course of 25 years and 8 albums, MH have reinvented themselves a few times so have demonstrated that they are capable of they want to.

• Advertisement

Id agree with the Senor re B & D, I was somewhat underwhelmed by it.

Not a "bad" album by any stretch but not a patch on some of their other releases imo.

Bumping this as the new album is done and titled.
    MACHINE HEAD ANNOUNCE WORLD TOUR FOR UPCOMING ALBUM, CATHARSIS
    It's been far too long since we've demolished venues in America, we have had an awesome and productive break writing our new album "Catharsis", but now it's time for Machine Head to go melt some faces!! The reaction to our last "Evening With" tours in America were nothing short of incredible, so once again these dates will be "Evening With" and will see us performing 2 1/2 to 3 hours every night with no opening bands.

We LOVED performing as an “Evening With” for you Head Cases, and you guys loved it as well, the freedom to do whatever the **** we wanted for as long as we wanted every night was liberating. It's not what everyone else is doing, and frankly, there are not a lot of bands who could even pull it off, but Machine Head CAN pull it off, and we are excited as **** to do it again. We are carving our own path here, playing by our own rules, and as an artist, it's the best feeling in the world!

No festivals period, no 45 minute slots, no supporting some stupid DJ, no parking lots in a rain storm, The Head will only be "Headlining", so come on down and rage!!

MACHINE HEAD recently wrapped up recording their 9th full-length album with Zack Ohren (FALLUJAH, ALL SHALL PERISH) at Sharkbite Studios in Oakland, CA. An official release date has yet to be confirmed, but a Jan. 2018 release is expected. More details to follow shortly.

MACHINE HEAD will also be offering an extremely limited number of VIP Packages in 2 tiers at www.machinehead.vip.

Gold VIP Tour Package:
    One (1) General Admission Ticket
    Meet and Greet w/ Machine Head
    Group Photo w/ Machine Head
    Exclusive Meet and Greet Shirt
    Machine Head Flag
    Souvenir Laminate w/ Lanyard
    Early Entry

and

Platinum "Soundcheck" Package
    One (1) General Admission Ticket
    Soundcheck Viewing
    Meet and Greet w/ Machine Head
    Group Photo w/ Machine Head
    Exclusive Meet and Greet Shirt
    Machine Head Flag
    Souvenir Laminate w/ Lanyard
    Early Entry

Confirmed tour dates are as follows. General ticket on-sale begins at 10 am local on Friday, September 22nd.

North American "Catharsis” World Tour 2018

Thu 25-Jan Phoenix, AZ - Nile Theater
    Sat 27-Jan Albuquerque, NM - Sunshine Theater
    Mon 29-Jan San Antonio, TX - Aztec Theater
    Tue 30-Jan Dallas, TX - Gas Monkey Live!
    Wed 31-Jan Houston,TX – HOB

Fri 02-Feb Birmingham, AL - Saturn
    Sat 03-Feb Pensacola, FL - Vinyl MH
    Mon 05-Feb Orlando, FL - Plaza Live
    Tue 06-Feb Atlanta, GA - Centerstage
    Thu 08-Feb Philadelphia, PA - Theatre of Living Arts
    Fri 09-Feb New York, NY - Playstation
    Sat 10-Feb Boston, MA - Paradise Rock Club
    Sun 11-Feb Montreal, QC - Club Soda
    Tue 13-Feb Toronto, ON - Danforth MH
    Wed 14-Feb Buffalo, NY - Town Ballroom
    Thu 15-Feb Pittsburgh, PA - Stage AE
    Fri 16-Feb Cleveland, OH - Agora
    Sat 17-Feb Detroit, MI - Majestic
    Tue 20-Feb Des Moines, IA - Woolys
    Wed 21-Feb Madison, WI - Majestic
    Thu 22-Feb Minneapolis, MN - First Avenue
    Fri 23-Feb Chicago, IL - Concord MH
    Sat 24-Feb Saint Louis, MO - Pops
    Tue 27-Feb Denver, CO - Summit MH

Thu 01-Mar Las Vegas, NV - HOB
    Fri 02-Mar Los Angeles, CA - Fonda
    Sat 03-Mar Oakland, CA - The Fox Theater
    Mon 05-Mar Portland, OR - Roseland
    Tue 06-Mar Vancouver, BC - Commodore
    Wed 07-Mar Seattle, WA - Showbox Market

Not up to much this at all, clearly fans of Devin Townsend too by the sounds of things :)

15 songs on the new album.
    Catharsis tracklist

Volatile
    Catharsis
    Beyond The Pale
    California Bleeding
    Triple Beam
    Kaleidoscope
    Bastards
    Hope Begets Hope
    Screaming At The Sun
    Behind A Mask
    Heavy Lies The Crown
    Psychotic
    Grind You Down
    Razorblade Smile
    Eulogy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭s8n

bit odd that they have neglected Ireland on upcoming tour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

s8n wrote: »

Bit crap alright but myself and a buddy are gonna fly to Birmingham to see them instead!

s8n wrote: »

They have played twice here over the last few years and were sellouts or damn near it, wouldn't surprise me to see them announce a show.

The one in 2015 in The Academy was one of the best I've ever been to.

The one in 2015 in The Academy was one of the best I've ever been to.

Yup crackin' show, my bus was late in missed the first 2 songs yet saw more Machine than most that night and apparently one of the last times they'll play a Pantera song too :D

• Advertisement

Was 2014 when they played the academy, not 2015.

Advertisement