Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surveillance cameras in Birmingham track Muslims' every move.

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Japer

wes wrote: »
    I have not completely discounted CCTVs at all. Just wondered how effective they are in relation to terrorism, and was wondering if anyone has stats in this regard.

CCTV's are only a tool, and you cannot really have stats on one tool any more than a carpenter can. Even if CCTV help solve one crime or prevent one attack, its it not worthwhile ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Japer wrote: »
    CCTV's are only a tool, and you cannot really have stats on one tool any more than a carpenter can. Even if CCTV help solve one crime or prevent one attack, its it not worthwhile ?

Sure, I think CCTV is worthwhile, but I do question the wisdom of focusing only on particular area's, unless they can show a good reason for having them there, and I have yet to see a particularly good arguement in this case.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Japer

They are in other areas too. I wish there was no need for them, but as long as people commit crime and terrorism, there is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

wes wrote: »
    Sure, I think CCTV is worthwhile, but I do question the wisdom of focusing only on particular area's, unless they can show a good reason for having them there, and I have yet to see a particularly good arguement in this case.

If one part of society is most likely to have terrorists hiding amongst it then its natural that there would be a focus on them. If CCTV technology had been as advanced back in the 70's and 80's then I'd bet that Kilburn and Camden and other areas that Irish people were concentrated in would be full of CCTV cameras

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Not really, because most immigrants are good people. Its the type who go around planting bombs on the London underground, ( or who try to bring down aeroplanes full of civilians, or who ram in to Glasgow airport ) who are not so good, and who deserve to be caught on surveilance cctv when they do.
    I’m not sure why your focus is on immigrants? Of the four bombers involved in the 7/7 attacks in London, three were born in Britain. One of the two bombers involved in the attack at Glasgow Airport was also born in Britain.
    You mention India.....I doubt if any of the people who bombed the London underground, conspired to cause other explosions, tried to detonate shoe bombs, or who rammed Glasgow air terminal had grandparents who were Indian, never mind fought in WW2.
    The other bomber involved in the attack on Glasgow Airport, Kafeel Ahmed, was born in Bangalore. He probably had at least one Indian grandparent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

About 150 ANPR car numberplate recognition cameras installed in two Muslim areas, paid for by government anti-terrorism fund.

"Counterterrorism police have targeted hundreds of surveillance cameras on two Muslim areas of Birmingham, enabling them to track the precise movements of people entering and leaving the neighbourhoods".

If I was a Muslim living in this area I would be up in arms about it.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/jun/04/surveillance-cameras-birmingham-muslims

I saw the title and thought 'Sparkbrook and Washwood Heath' bloody knew it.

It's common knowledge Muslim fundamentalists are active in Birmingham; particularly in these areas (there's been around a dozen terrorists arrested there over the past few year). Remember the attempted bombings in London on the 21/7/05? One of those was arrested in a house on Washwood Heath Rd.

Muslims in Birmingham think they're above the law; it's about time these cameras kept an eye on areas police are too afraid to venture into.

Advertisement