Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Note 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭iwo

markad1 wrote: »
    Anyone getting put off with all the bad press?

Maybe not put off but disappointed. I will wait for a few weeks until it gets around 600euro. Wouldnt like to pay more than that. There is no alternative at the moment so I will be getting it sooner or later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Thor wrote: »
    You just need a sim from the any EU mobile provider to activate, no need to actually be in the country and once it's activated you can use any sim regardless of region.

If you don't have access to a sim card from the original region then Samsung will unlock the device for you, but not sure how someone goes about doing that.
    it baffles me that they would implement this at all if that's the case? why bother their arses putting the restriction in place if they will remove it for you if you ask or you can unlock it yourself with a local sim even outside of the country of origin?

just seems like a total PR clusterfluck to me. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

vibe666 wrote: »
    it baffles me that they would implement this at all if that's the case? why bother their arses putting the restriction in place if they will remove it for you if you ask or you can unlock it yourself with a local sim even outside of the country of origin?

just seems like a total PR clusterfluck to me. :(

I agree, it's a terrible idea, but they are doing it to stop reseller/grey imports which can have a negative effect on their business as well as issues with returns.

The real problem was their communication of what was actually happening and not truly advertising what was going to happen.

The region lock won't affect over 90% of users and the other 10% will only have the minor issue of having to get it unlocked.

While I 100-percent think it is a pointless restriction to implement, it's not nearly as bad as originally reported due to the incorrect information on the stickers and the fact no retailers even knew about it until they got stock in.

The real issue for Samsung was that a lot of resellers would buy the cheaper stock in one region and sell it for higher in another, and since Samsung's warranty doesn't carry from one region to another and consumers who purchase a device from a different region won't have warranty in their on so Samsung are trying to put a stop to that and keep all devices in one region unless you specifically wish to import it yourself. I'm not 100-percent on that but it makes sense if true.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 665 ✭✭✭philthrill69

Samsung just got back to me on Facebook. :-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Good news indeed :)

Why is it that these days contracts are even longer and the phones are even more expensive!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Any one else think that the design of the note 3 is brutal, especially the back of the phone. It just lacks any class, their fake leather plastic only makes it look worse with the big camera nipple. Front of the phone reminds me the S2 that was enlarged.

Rally want to get it, but the looks throwing me of.

I'll have to defend the look & feel of it - I'm not a fan of Samsung phones at all but I've been using the Note 3 for the last month (don't ask) and it's by far the nicest and most premium feeling handset they have produced - The back is unusual all right but It's growing on me and it feels lovely compared to plastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭markad1

Anyone receiving this phone yet?
    Pre order from O2..not a whisper so far, was due last week now this week.....ish :-)

I'll have to defend the look & feel of it - I'm not a fan of Samsung phones at all but I've been using the Note 3 for the last month (don't ask) and it's by far the nicest and most premium feeling handset they have produced - The back is unusual all right but It's growing on me and it feels lovely compared to plastic.
    Ah come on man, you can't just drop a bomb and tell us you've been using this phone we all want so much for the last month and say don't ask!
    Battery life? Do the air gestures work without the S Pen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Dermighty wrote: »
    Why is it that these days contracts are even longer and the phones are even more expensive!?

The phones are more expensive because they are much much higher spec and have a lot more functionality than 2-3 years ago. For network operators to subsidise the more expensive phones they need to spread the cost over 18 or even 24 months rather than 12. The alternative to long contracts is to just buy the phone directly for the full price yourself and then purchase whatever service plan you want from whatever network operator you want. This is increasingly how the mobile phone market is going. In some countries it is already the prevalent model.

IMHO separating the purchase of the device from the provision of the service is a very good thing for consumers. Think of TV's. You don't have Sky / UPC selling you your TV at a discounted price in order to lock you into a long term contract do you so why should the people providing the mobile service sell you the hardware you need? It's an old business model which will eventually fade away. Just look at the 48 Months business model. You get your own phone, they give you a free sim and off you go using their network. http://www.48months.ie/freesim Simples :D

Ben

BenThere wrote: »
    The phones are more expensive because they are much much higher spec and have a lot more functionality than 2-3 years ago. For network operators to subsidise the more expensive phones they need to spread the cost over 18 or even 24 months rather than 12.
    I seem to remember paying €625 for a SIM free N97 when they were launched (yes, i know, the shame! :(), so i don't think that's the case.

I think it's just that the networks are finding new and interesting ways to screw the consumer out of more money over a longer period of time.

• Advertisement

I think it's just that the networks are finding new and interesting ways to screw the consumer out of more money over a longer period of time.

If that's true then people (as they invariably do) are choosing to be voluntarily screwed.

Why should the network operators not seek longer contract terms if people are prepared to sign up to them? Surely it's the network operators objective to maximise their profit and locking people into longer contracts will help them do that. How is that screwing the consumer when the consumer has alternative choices??? If lazy consumers don't research their options and sign up for long contracts they quickly regret then shame on them, not on the operators. It takes two willing parties to enter any contract.

Ben

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Ah come on man, you can't just drop a bomb and tell us you've been using this phone we all want so much for the last month and say don't ask!
    Battery life? Do the air gestures work without the S Pen?

Nope, the air gestures don't work without the pen. Although on the lock screen the images moves when you have your finger above the screen - When you have the pen out, you just click the button to bring up the Air command menu - the pen does need to be very near the phone though.

How about a photo of it taken with the Samsung Gear Watch........:D

20130927_093515_resized.jpg

^^^ there was no need for that ^^^:p
    What do you think of the watch?

Anyone receiving this phone yet?
    Pre order from O2..not a whisper so far, was due last week now this week.....ish :-)

Also waiting on my order from O2. I haven't gotten any emails yet, but I asked they help desk chat program thingy and they said it has shipped, but he didn't have a tracking number. For some reason I don't think it really has shipped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Nope, the air gestures don't work without the pen. Although on the lock screen the images moves when you have your finger above the screen - When you have the pen out, you just click the button to bring up the Air command menu - the pen does need to be very near the phone though.

How about a photo of it taken with the Samsung Gear Watch........:D

]

Definitely looks like an S2 from that angle :) just with a better display :)

Thor wrote: »
    Also waiting on my order from O2. I haven't gotten any emails yet, but I asked they help desk chat program thingy and they said it has shipped, but he didn't have a tracking number. For some reason I don't think it really has shipped.

:rolleyes: I'd be surprised if it did too :rolleyes:
    keep us posted

If that's true then people (as they invariably do) are choosing to be voluntarily screwed.

Why should the network operators not seek longer contract terms if people are prepared to sign up to them? Surely it's the network operators objective to maximise their profit and locking people into longer contracts will help them do that. How is that screwing the consumer when the consumer has alternative choices??? If lazy consumers don't research their options and sign up for long contracts they quickly regret then shame on them, not on the operators. It takes two willing parties to enter any contract.

Ben
    you don't happen to work in the banking sector do you? :pac:

(seriously, just kidding, don't want to be getting myself in trouble for slander! :o)

the problem with the whole "voluntarily screwed" thing is that not everyone has €600-800 to blow up front to get the latest and greatest smartphone.

NO, of course they don't NEED the latest and greatest smartphones, but the industry makes everyone want one to such a degree that they feel like they need it and for a lot of people, the pay monthly option is a quick fix of their electronic drug of choice.

I checked the UK mobile operators earlier to see what they had on offer for the Note 3 and ALL of them are only offering a 24 month contract now, so no doubt that will be the way it goes in Ireland before too long as we follow suit.

personally it doesn't make much difference to me either way as whether it's a mobile phone purchase or a mobile phone bill, it all goes down as a business expense, but not everyone is so lucky.

:rolleyes: I'd be surprised if it did too :rolleyes:
    keep us posted

Yeah, just got of the phone with O2 and the girl said there was no change in my order since it was placed on the 22nd of September and she had no idea where the other person was getting the idea it had shipped.

Truly a disaster when customer care get things wrong more times than they get it right and not really sure why he thought it was shipped.

If it doesn't arrive this week, I will probably cancel the order. A discount is no good if they can't even tell you when you will get the phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Torn between one of these and the Xperia Z1, decisions, decisions, upgrade kicks in tomorrow! The free Wifi camera yoke might swing it the way of the Z1.....hmmm.

This region lock is very annoying.
    Samsung's lack of communication and people reporting activating using local sim but out of region sim invalid is putting me off.
    I know you can purchase an unlock code online but I don't like this restriction.
    If this information was stated before going on sale then it's your choice to purchase it with the region lock. But purchasing it not knowing about it gets me.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Was in every phone shop I can think of today expect three as I refuse to sign anything with them.

But any way Friday is the day for the note 3 I have been told in emobile, vodaphone and Carphone. O2 have the phone now to buy in store but crazy dear wonted 450 for the phone on the 55 a mouth plan for 18 mouths way to dear.

But got to play around with the note 3 today in carphone it's not that much bigger then a iPhone 5 say a inch wider and inch and 1/2 longer and the phone was fairly light I found for the size of it.

Was told more then Likely It will be free on 24 mouths

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Was in every phone shop I can think of today expect three as I refuse to sign anything with them.

But any way Friday is the day for the note 3 I have been told in emobile, vodaphone and Carphone. O2 have the phone now to buy in store but crazy dear wonted 450 for the phone on the 55 a mouth plan for 18 mouths way to dear.

But got to play around with the note 3 today in carphone it's not that much bigger then a iPhone 5 say a inch wider and inch and 1/2 longer and the phone was fairly light I found for the size of it.

Out of curiosity. What's your beef with 3?

I've been with them almost 5 years. Can't fault them.

Out of curiosity. What's your beef with 3?

I've been with them almost 5 years. Can't fault them.

Signed a deal with them at the time of the iPhone 4 got the phone then got a phone call saying i was refused and that i had to send the phone back witch i did took me 4 mouths to get my money for the phone back off them thats why i will not go near them

if you have a any kind of telecommunications device or broadband for long enough in ireland you won't want to sign up with anybody! :pac:

You could get any phone for free on a 24 month contract, only trouble is the monthly cost will be extortionate!

You could get any phone for free on a 24 month contract, only trouble is the monthly cost will be extortionate!

49 on meteor with 4G 24 mouths

65 on vodaphone with a upgrade as long as you trade in your phone with 4G as well

55 on o2 24 mouths no idea about 4G with them

No idea about emobile

All unlimited plans with about 3G of data on each

65 on vodaphone with a upgrade as long as you trade in your phone with 4G as well

No idea about emobile

I thought you said "more than likely free" I didn't know you had actual pricing.
    I know you have a beef with Three but I'll be waiting for their pricing With all you can eat data before I do anything.
    Having a 3GB cap on 4G is like going to an all you can eat buffet after getting your stomach stapled. Laughable!

Having a 3GB cap on 4G is like going to an all you can eat buffet after getting your stomach stapled. Laughable!

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 20 jonj305

Just wondering has anyone ever got an early upgrade with meteor. My contract is out 5th of January 2014 and I was looking to get an early upgrade to the Note 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

jonj305 wrote: »
    Just wondering has anyone ever got an early upgrade with meteor. My contract is out 5th of January 2014 and I was looking to get an early upgrade to the Note 3.

I got out of mine 2ish months early this time last year for the note 2. Chap in cpw rang them up and sorted it for me.

I thought you said "more than likely free" I didn't know you had actual pricing.
    I know you have a beef with Three but I'll be waiting for their pricing With all you can eat data before I do anything.

But still i cant sign anything with 3 if they have all you can eat far play to be signing up to 24 mouths with them but i just dont see my self signing with them ever even if they are the cheapest

Emobile have been great for me any time i have a problem they give me something for free LoL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

No idea about emobile

1. is this phone or plan cost? I'm asking as VF have 3 'RED' plans @ €35, €55 & €75 p/m. There is no €65 p/m with voda (unless you count the legacy MyWay plan?)

the O2 price you are quoting is possibly the €55 p/m plan rather than handset cost. with this plan the phone costs €439.00 - not free.
    the only O2 plan where you get the Note3 free is on €70 p/m for 24 months.

2. any idea how this works if you bought your own SIM free phone or are at the end of a contract and therefore own the originally subsidised phone?
    They can't expect people to hand in their own handsets.
    I do know there is an option on one of VFs plans to get a new phone after 12 months and this IS dependant on trading in your old phone.

Signed a deal with them at the time of the iPhone 4 got the phone then got a phone call saying i was refused and that i had to send the phone back witch i did took me 4 mouths to get my money for the phone back off them thats why i will not go near them

Why the fcuk did you send them back the phone before they gave you your money back? I assume you gave them money before they gave you the phone in the shop right? When they asked you for the phone back (presumably because they made some sort of mistake?) you had every right to insist on getting your money back first before handing them over a phone.

Ben

but the industry makes everyone want one to such a degree that they feel like they need it and for a lot of people, the pay monthly option is a quick fix of their electronic drug of choice.

Seriously dude, people want lots of things they can't afford from €600 phones to sun holidays to cars to apartments. If consenting adults decide it's worth signing a 24 month contract to get the latest "irresistible" smartphone on a subsidised basis they should be down on bended knee to the network operator instead of giving out about them as clearly no one else, including family, friends or the banks, are prepared to loan them the money to buy a €600 phone :rolleyes:

Ben

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

After seeing the upgrade prices on the Meteor site today I'm now really torn between the S4 and the Note 3 as an upgrade.

Hope CPW have some in stock for me to have a look and compare them in the plastic on Thursday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Design the Story of your Life.

The beautiful Samsung Galaxy Note 3 is now available to buy. Only €99 with All You Can Eat Everything for just €55 a month

€99 on Ultimate Flex-Max
    24 month contract

copy/paste job on my phone

O2

I see that your order is received at ware house we will start delivering the phone any time this week.

Yeah right!

Just ordered my phone from eMobile there

12 mouth contract 60 a mouth for unlimited everything.

129 euros for the Note 3

Extremely good deal i got from eMobile you have not failed me yet even if it took me 40 mins to order LoL

Will have it in my hand tomorrow

Just ordered my phone from eMobile there

12 mouth contract 60 a mouth for unlimited everything.

129 euros for the Note 3

Extremely good deal i got from eMobile you have not failed me yet even if it took me 40 mins to order LoL

Will have it in my hand tomorrow
    I can't find the handset on their website. Did you order over the phone?

O2

I see that your order is received at ware house we will start delivering the phone any time this week.

Yeah right!

Don't bother with the webchat . They're based in India and are next to useless.

Lisa on o2 confirmed pre orders will ship today. Just waiting on a tracking number.

• Advertisement

I can't find the handset on their website. Did you order over the phone?

Over the phone

Was told will have it in my hand tomorrow cant wait !!!!!

Going to be a huge upgrade from my iPhone 5

Seriously dude, people want lots of things they can't afford from €600 phones to sun holidays to cars to apartments. If consenting adults decide it's worth signing a 24 month contract to get the latest "irresistible" smartphone on a subsidised basis they should be down on bended knee to the network operator instead of giving out about them as clearly no one else, including family, friends or the banks, are prepared to loan them the money to buy a €600 phone :rolleyes:
    so you're objecting to me objecting to mobile operators completely dropping 12 and 18 month contracts and not giving their customers a choice of anything except a 24 month contract or going completely SIM free for smartphone purchases?

plenty of people can afford a sim free phone but would prefer to spread the cost by paying some of the price of the phone up front and then going for a 12 or 18 month contract, but will want to upgrade their phone after that. those people (and i'm one of them) now don't have a choice.

my last contract with my HTC One X was 18 months and quite frankly it was too long to wait for my liking, so i'm very likely to be going to go sim free with the Note 3, but i would rather not have had to.

like i said, financially it makes zero difference to me as it's a business expense either way, i just object to having the choice taken away from me by the mobile operators.

so you're objecting to me objecting to mobile operators completely dropping 12 and 18 month contracts and not giving their customers a choice of anything except a 24 month contract or going completely SIM free for smartphone purchases?

Yep, that's EXACTLY what I'm doing Vibe. Network Operators (and all other businesses under the sun) exist to maximise profit. If having reviewed their options they feel they will make more profit by locking customers into 24 month contracts where they subsidise one phone rather than having to purchase and subsidise two phones over the same period if they were offering 12 month contracts I say not only is that their right but it is the right thing for them to do for their business. By removing the choice of 12 and 18 month contracts some customers might move their business elsewhere but if the net result is more profit for the company then that's the correct decision for them to make.

Their business objective isn't to give punters ton's of choice it's to make money!!!

Ben

that's fine from a business perspective for the companies involved, but i don't get why it bothers you so much that i object to it from a consumer perspective?

unless you are actually the head of a major mobile operator, you are effectively arguing against your own best interests as a consumer? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Pedro Monscooch

Can we get back to the Note 3? I'm sure there are plenty of threads on subsidising contracts. Is it guaranteed to be in stock most places on Friday?

is there anywhere cheaper than clove to get it sim free?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭lafors

is there anywhere cheaper than clove to get it sim free?

handtec is cheaper. I got a phone off them before. Bit of hassle with it going missing during delivery but it was sorted without too much hassle.
    Its been a few years since I got it so not sure if they've gotten better/worse.

that's fine from a business perspective for the companies involved, but i don't get why it bothers you so much that i object to it from a consumer perspective?

unless you are actually the head of a major mobile operator, you are effectively arguing against your own best interests as a consumer? :confused:

You're right Vibe, from a consumers perspective I can't understand why 12 and 18 month contracts are no longer available, it's unbelievable. No wait, hang on, as a consumer I'm also capable of understanding the business logic (even though I don't work for a network operator) so it turns out I can't pretend to be upset or shocked or accuse the network operators of "screwing" me because what they are doing is totally logical.

I bet you don't go into Tesco looking for burger buns for a BBQ and accuse them of screwing you because all suppliers of burger buns want you to buy a minimum of six buns :eek: Shock horror :eek::eek::eek:

Pedro - I promise not to talk about the scandalous way network operators offer subsidised phones to people who can't afford to buy them any more :rolleyes:

Ben

congratulations ben, i'm sure your medal is in the post. :rolleyes:

congratulations ben, i'm sure your medal is in the post. :rolleyes:

Are you being sarcastic? :eek: You clever person you.

Ben

• Advertisement
Advertisement