Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adult Braces Experience

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

^ Generally they can do exactly what metal braces do. I had ceramic on my upper teeth and metal ones on the lower. I was recommend the get metal lowers because of my bite. It really depends on the person!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Hello123

I've got wire cutting my cheek on top and I can feel it at the back of the tooth. Its really sharp and Im afraid it will get really sore over christmas. I'm thinking of trying to get an appointment to see if they can pinch it in or something

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭dealhunter1985

Anyone have any experiences with getting braces with <snip>

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭capnsparkles

If you have some orthodontic wax (they usually give you some , cover the wire)
    Definitely get them to see you to correct it. The wire may be out at the back or it may just have moved with the teeth and a bit needs to be snipped. It should not be a big deal to see you quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Straycat

how is everyone getting on? Im on the final countdown, 5 months to go. last visit i discovered i only have about 1-2 mm of overbite to pull in, it was 7 to begin with, i want him to move my teeth a mil or two to center them in my mouth, he said this isnt a problem it will just take another elastic. Im only hoping it wont add to the time frame. im still consistantly sore, each time the teeth move the bracket cuts the gum/cheek. cannot wait to have them off

• Advertisement

Well I am 3 months in, 4 extractions later, stictches to stop bleeding and all that trauma, I have to say now that it is over i am really happy with the progress.

Although I HATE the extractions gaps and am so self concious, they have closed a tiny bit so feeling better about it. My 6 top front teeth are now straight so Im thrilled. Its the back teeth that need sorting, hence the 2 year expected duration. Bottom teeth are imporving a bit, but they are a mess anyway!

I have the bands with the hook on 1st molars up until now and have spacers in to get bands on the teeth behind them. im not sure why this is. Im guessing they will really cut my cheeks though so thats in a weeks time.

Other than that, im getting on with it. Eating is horrible now but I guess Ill get used to it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭lovelystuff

I'm getting my braces on next week, ceramic on top metal on the bottom. I'm quite nervous now! The ortho has said it will be up to two and a half years, which I'm hoping is an over estimate because I only have mild crowding on top (front 4 teeth are crooked, the rest are ok) and moderate crowding on the bottom.

The ortho has said it will be up to two and a half years, which I'm hoping is an over estimate

I was told 2/2.5 years too and although Ive over crowding to the front, it is the molars that will take the most time to move around and fix (really bad bite).
    Im hoping mine is an over estimate too and since the front six are straight already, I'd say yours is an over estimate - they knid of have to cover themselves I guess

Hello123 wrote: »
    I was told 2/2.5 years too and although Ive over crowding to the front, it is the molars that will take the most time to move around and fix (really bad bite).
    Im hoping mine is an over estimate too and since the front six are straight already, I'd say yours is an over estimate - they knid of have to cover themselves I guess

Thanks i really hope so! I wanted lingual braces originally and was willing to pay for them even though they're twice the price, because I'm worried I'll be self conscious especially in work. But I guess I'm self conscious about my teeth anyway so at least this way I'm doing something to fix them! I wonder when I'll get an accurate end time, will the ortho have to see how fast my teeth move before giving me a reliable estimate?

because I'm worried I'll be self conscious especially in work. But I guess I'm self conscious about my teeth anyway so at least this way I'm doing something to fix them! I wonder when I'll get an accurate end time, will the ortho have to see how fast my teeth move before giving me a reliable estimate?

Im actually less conscious because my teeth are covered with the braces and its obvious to others that they will be fixed! Also even after 2 months they look way better behind the braces, I feel more confident in smiling

The big gaps for me are what I hate. Besides that sooo many people have adult braces now, it really is no big deal anymore

• Advertisement

Im actually less conscious because my teeth are covered with the braces and its obvious to others that they will be fixed! Also even after 2 months they look way better behind the braces, I feel more confident in smiling

The big gaps for me are what I hate. Besides that sooo many people have adult braces now, it really is no big deal anymore
    Thanks! I'm really excited for the end result,I've been self conscious since I was a teenager so I'm sure it will be worth it,just hope it's a bit quicker than my estimate!

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Brendygg

Ceramics are great, got mine before xmas and no one noticed. You well be very glad when you get them!

6 weeks in now and got my 2nd wire fitted yesterday, no pain today which is strange, thought there would be after the tightening. Next apt is 6 weeks, gettin bottoms fitted then, not sure if metal or ceramic yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Straycat

my ortho estimated 18 months for me, they charge by the time not by what needs to be done, if they are finished before that i pay less and if its finished later than 18 months i do not pay any extra, so i recon he must be fairly accurate in his estimation or he would be losing out money!

the gaps were also an issue for me, i got a big gap in my front teeth but soon a the power chains went on they flew back together.

the eating thing is so hard too, though its getting better, i can eat mostly what i like but it dosnt look pretty when im doing it! i spend a lot of time with my hand over my mouth. looking forward to eating in comfort, and not worrying about a million bits of my dinner stuck in various parts of my braces!

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭PippaChic

I got mine in yesterday, I'm over the moon - I wish I got it done years ago!

I had a tooth removed on Thursday, I was waiting for pain after the anaesthetic wore off - it never came

I have ceramic braces, anybody I've spoken to hasn't noticed!

I have discomfort with the braces, chewing is painful. Eating is difficult - which is good :p

I am reading your posts now with interest, and they are very helpful!

I've been away from Boards for the last two months so I do have some news myself. Got the bottom brace fitted in late November. I've already noticed significant movement on the bottom so it's looking good so far. The top looks like everything is pretty much in place at this stage.

I'm still terrified of decalcification but I am rinsing my mouth out and brushing my teeth after I eat.

Top braces on! The ceramics are actually so discreet, definitely worth the extra few hundred Euro. The procedure itself was pretty straightforward too, no pain or anything. I'm keeping progress pics for myself so I hope to see improvements soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Brendygg

Nice one, they are excellent. I went with normal wire this time round, the white one chipped after bought 3 weeks and once it chipped it seemed to come off more everyday, something to be aware of.

Hopefully this works, I'm attaching a photo of the ceramics, very happy i must say!

I had to get 2 more bands on my wisdom teeth on the top and bottom. The top left looks like it has a hook on it on the inside and it is killing me, cutting into my tongue I can hardly talk. There isnt a hope I can handle this or my mouth will adjust.

Im going back this afternoon to see if anything be done, but Im terrified that they will say that the hook is there for a reason.

These hooks (on the inside) bothered me with other teeth and they were able to pinch them tighter so im praying this can be done with the newer band.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 willow46

great discussions. I'm embarking on 'renewing' my teeth at almost 40! scared as hell to be honest people!!!

• Advertisement

has a hook on it on the inside and it is killing me, cutting into my tongue I can hardly talk. There isnt a hope I can handle this or my mouth will adjust.

Got it pinched in at lunch time and all sorted out. Most important thing is with any discomfort there is usally something they can do to alleviate it... and thats what they are there for!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

One of my teeth is after moving and it's bothering me. I don't think it's possible to get it redone or am I being ridiculous over one tooth? I had adult braces for nearly three years.

Have you been wearing a retainer as instructed?
    I would definetly go back and see what they can do ... you never know ...
    Could be they will fix it for free OR a small fee.
    It's worth asking ... 3 years work and a lot of money

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭PippaChic

willow46 wrote: »
    great discussions. I'm embarking on 'renewing' my teeth at almost 40! scared as hell to be honest people!!!

I'm 44 and a half, I can see a slight difference already after one week - my regret is I didn't start sooner!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Have you been wearing a retainer as instructed?
    I would definetly go back and see what they can do ... you never know ...
    Could be they will fix it for free OR a small fee.
    It's worth asking ... 3 years work and a lot of money

The dentists said my teeth looked grand and I didn't want to keep on about it. I only have a retainer or my bottom teeth also. I got the one next to it bonded to make it look more in place but then they were saying that I expected like a Hollywood smile when that's not natural looking. I don't want to look fake either but the tooth was perfect now it's not and I don't like discrepancies. They used to be spot on straight though.

eternal wrote: »
    they were saying that I expected like a Hollywood smile when that's not natural looking. I don't want to look fake either but the tooth was perfect now it's not and I don't like discrepancies. They used to be spot on straight though.

I really think if your not happy they shouldn't brush it off. As you say it was straight, it's hard to go on about it though but if you are still in doubt, keep at it

I am expecting the Hollywood smile as I'm paying enough for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Squiggle

Does the quality of the metal used in fixed braces vary between orthodontists ? Often cited on here, which I accept, that the quality of crowns , veneers etc can vary significantly, depending on the lab that makes them but how about braces?

I really dont know to be honest .. I would imagine that each ortho would stand over theirs as being the highest quality!! you could ask the name and google.

Hear it from me, the Waterpik works!

Went to my regular dentist for an exam and clean today. Said that my teeth and gums are in great shape and all I needed was a clean. :)

That's the first time in years that they didn't comment on my gums or flossing.

• Advertisement

Karsini wrote: »
    Hear it from me, the Waterpik works!

I keep meaning to ask the ortho about it ... did your ortho say it was ok with ceramic and not cause damage?

Advertisement