Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Fcuk sake

Being overrun here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Just can't win any ball.

Clare second goal, curtains

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

Dillons frees kept us in it. Nothing happening in the forwards. better team won

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭doz

Could have no complaints there, Clare were by far the better team and should have won by far more. A good battling effort from the lads but we were totally cleaned out from 10-15 and possessed zero goal threat. Just could not make the ball stick in the forwards and only 5 points from play by my count.

Wasn't impressed by Clare though, would fancy Tipp to beat them in the final.

Silly tactics didnt help. Constantly outnumbered & runover form 10-15 but countless wasted balls put into that area

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

What did Paudi Prendegrast get his 1st yellow for?

At times we were adopting Davy's tactics of trying to run the ball out of defence, needlessly much of the time. Cost a silly point a bit before half time.
    Sending off allowed Clare to overrun Waterford in the middle sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

things werent going too bad till an absolute stupid tackle when on a yellow lost the game. 2 man ff line was never going to give them goal chances so you cant blame that on the players. u would have sworn jake dillon was the only senior intercounty hurler from tonights game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

we had the measure of them up until the sending off. no one will be more gutted about it than paudie himself but christ what was he thinking. after that we never had a chance

This Clare team didnt look a patch on what they were last year and youd have to question was there much need for all our defensive tactics as we had no one in the forwards outside of dillon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭parish girl

Missed a bit of the game . bloody phone rang. Where did Donie Breathnach go. Didnt hear a mention of him on telly. Wondering was he taken off or what?

Missed a bit of the game . bloody phone rang. Where did Donie Breathnach go. Didnt hear a mention of him on telly. Wondering was he taken off or what?

after PP sent off entire forward line bar dillon disappeared

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

doz wrote: »
    Could have no complaints there, Clare were by far the better team and should have won by far more. A good battling effort from the lads but we were totally cleaned out from 10-15 and possessed zero goal threat. Just could not make the ball stick in the forwards and only 5 points from play by my count.

Wasn't impressed by Clare though, would fancy Tipp to beat them in the final.

We would have beaten them if Paudie wasn't sent off, they really weren't by far the better team. Had Duggan in his pocket, and Clare were really struggling in the forwards as well. Kieran Power was excellent as a sweeper I though and Ray Barrys also played very well. Dillon was brilliant on the frees, and good from play in the first half too I thought. Didn't think Eamon Murphy sdhould have been taken off, he was very involved and so fast.

I feel some sympathy for Paudie Prendergast. The second yellow he had his eyes fixed on the ball on got it first, just followed through and looked far worse than what it was. The first one seems that he swung out buit of course the linesman was able to see what he did but sure he was obviously provoked yet only one player was booked. He committed to fouls all game and was sent off. Someone was booked for fouling Podge Collins as well when to be honest I'd like to see it again, he had over run it and I think his fall was theatrical to put it kindly.

So three yellows for Waterford, where was the yellow card for the lad that took out Eamon Murphy when we were through on goal first half? And while I wasn't taking note of each player that fouled, I would have to assume the fact that Jake Dillon had 15 attempts at goal from frees (think that's right) it's pretty astonishing that no Clare player was booked.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Horseboxhead

o my god what were we trying to do?, there's clever tactics and downright stupid, and i think we helped ourselves not a jot,jesus wept where did donie brethneach go?, where did com curran go?,who was playing anywhere?, where was stephen roche playing ?,i'm so confused i need a lie down,.plus Clare did not look up for it when tony kelly went off, and what a stupid second yellow, ah jesus ****e game,****e tactics, ****e result.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Mr Tibbs

Hard to believe this is the monor team that beat Clare in 09 and then went on to beat Tipp. Clare looked streets ahead of us. Hope the Minors can do better or thats it for this year because if they are beaten I doubt they could lift themselves after leaving the first game slip so badly. Went down to Walsh Park with a bit of hope that they could do justice after the debacle last year in Ennis. Pity Paudi Pender got sent off because it was pretty even up until then. Clare used the extra man to great advantage in the last ten minutes. Best of luck to them against Tipp.

Mr Tibbs wrote: »
    Hard to believe this is the monor team that beat Clare in 09 and then went on to beat Tipp. Clare looked streets ahead of us. Hope the Minors can do better or thats it for this year because if they are beaten I doubt they could lift themselves after leaving the first game slip so badly. Went down to Walsh Park with a bit of hope that they could do justice after the debacle last year in Ennis. Pity Paudi Pender got sent off because it was pretty even up until then. Clare used the extra man to great advantage in the last ten minutes. Best of luck to them against Tipp.

It's not it's the Minor team of 2010. In fairness, they did do themselves a lot of justice after last year. And without two Senior hurlers, I think that deserves a lot of respect and even more respect when we consider how big an impact that sendijng off had. At no stage did I feel we were in trouble before that, I'm pretty sure after Clare reverted to playing 6 forwards.

We would have beaten them if Paudie wasn't sent off, they really weren't by far the better team. Had Duggan in his pocket, and Clare were really struggling in the forwards as well. Kieran Power was excellent as a sweeper I though and Ray Barrys also played very well. Dillon was brilliant on the frees, and good from play in the first half too I thought. Didn't think Eamon Murphy sdhould have been taken off, he was very involved and so fast.

I feel some sympathy for Paudie Prendergast. The second yellow he had his eyes fixed on the ball on got it first, just followed through and looked far worse than what it was. The first one seems that he swung out buit of course the linesman was able to see what he did but sure he was obviously provoked yet only one player was booked. He committed to fouls all game and was sent off. Someone was booked for fouling Podge Collins as well when to be honest I'd like to see it again, he had over run it and I think his fall was theatrical to put it kindly.

So three yellows for Waterford, where was the yellow card for the lad that took out Eamon Murphy when we were through on goal first half? And while I wasn't taking note of each player that fouled, I would have to assume the fact that Jake Dillon had 15 attempts at goal from frees (think that's right) it's pretty astonishing that no Clare player was booked.

would agree with all of that but it was a foul on podge collins alright and a needless one at that as he had hand passed the ball straight to a waterford player just before he was hit. Agree totally about that foul on Eamonn Murphy your man could have knocked him out cold. Either of PP's yellows were no worse than that.

I hate to go on about it but PP can have no complaints he was on a yellow and his challenge was reckless and high and it was basically 6 months work from everyone down the drain in a split second

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭noiniho

That was last years U21 team, this under 21 team were minors in 2010 not 2009

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭doz

Well we will never know what might have been had it not been for PP's sending off but I always got the feeling, albeit watching on TV, that Clare had an extra gear and would power on at some stage and full credit to them, they took advantage of the extra man. They had a massive amount of wides whereas we struggled desperately to create anything from play and were heavily reliant on Jake from frees.

In terms of PP's red card he could have little complaints for the second yellow but in fairness how he managed to be booked in isolation for the first incident is difficult to fathom. The linesman took the easy option when in fact a number of Clare players got involved for no apparent reason.

Full credit to the lads though, they battled hard throughout and it is no disgrace to be beaten by the AI champions. A good number of these players are underage again next year and will be supplemented by a number of players coming off a strong minor panel.

Thought the 2nd yellow could have been a red, unintentional or not, it was high. Don't think there can be any complaints on that one.
    The one on Podge Collins, he had the ball released when he was knocked. Collins did receive one very soft free at a different stage though.

For continued fouling, Jack Browne could possible have been booked, think he gave away about 4 frees, although one was for fouling the ball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

o my god what were we trying to do?, there's clever tactics and downright stupid, and i think we helped ourselves not a jot,jesus wept where did donie brethneach go?, where did com curran go?,who was playing anywhere?, where was stephen roche playing ?,i'm so confused i need a lie down,.plus Clare did not look up for it when tony kelly went off, and what a stupid second yellow, ah jesus ****e game,****e tactics, ****e result.

Well, when you have only one forward scoring, what can you expect. Clare were no great shakes, and I fear Tipp will do to them what they did to Cork last night.

Well, when you have only one forward scoring, what can you expect. Clare were no great shakes, and I fear Tipp will do to them what they did to Cork last night.

Ah no it will be a close game, Cork were dreadful. Clare have had a game so they can work on things plus the bigger field will suit them far more than today did. Plus, they had plenty of lads (like oursleves) in action over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 irelandguy10

Jake Dillion had an outstanding game today i think he scored 13 points which is fantastic i think he is the person to take over from mullane

Ah no it will be a close game, Cork were dreadful. Clare have had a game so they can work on things plus the bigger field will suit them far more than today did. Plus, they had plenty of lads (like oursleves) in action over the weekend.

I was fairly relieved when Kevin Moran sent the WD KK game into extra time. Kind of evened that aspect out. Tough going on lads like Jake Dillon, Darragh Fives, Colm Galvin etc that played in that heat Sat, then tonight on a rock hard pitch. Fairly severe on the legs

Hidalgo wrote: »
    I was fairly relieved when Kevin Moran sent the WD KK game into extra time. Kind of evened that aspect out. Tough going on lads like Jake Dillon, Darragh Fives, Colm Galvin etc that played in that heat Sat, then tonight on a rock hard pitch. Fairly severe on the legs

Ah yeah definitely like, and in the heat too.

I think tipp are actually beatable enough. They are a well drilled unit but not that outstanding individually. I know they won a minor last year but were fairly poor at that level the previous 2 years.

I think clare will improve on tonight and go on and beat them they have more quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Mr Tibbs

It's not it's the Minor team of 2010. In fairness, they did do themselves a lot of justice after last year. And without two Senior hurlers, I think that deserves a lot of respect and even more respect when we consider how big an impact that sendijng off had. At no stage did I feel we were in trouble before that, I'm pretty sure after Clare reverted to playing 6 forwards.

Of course sure Martin ONeil Co. Yes it was very even up until the sending off but I thought our forwards were struggling and constantly being fouled as you said in another post. But I thought it was a clever tactic out of Clare as we never got a sniff of a goal and they got away with it. Clare are a fairly big team and I think they will give Tipp enough of it. Cork were shocking last night so its hard to judge how good Tipp really are. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't that Tipp team we beat in 09 give Cork a fair hammering in the sem-final.

Disappointing as that was a game that could have been. The sending off of PP was a turning point but what was just as much of a turning point was when (not long after the sending off IIRC), Jake put a difficult free wide (think it was the only one he missed but he did very well overall) and Clare went up the other end and got their first goal. Straight from the puckout again then they pointed to put them 3 clear. So we went from being a point up to being 3 down in the space of 2 or 3 mins along with being a man down.
    Even then we managed to get it back to a one point game but the second Clare goal finished us.

Clare I think were the better team anyway and if it wasn't for giving away so many silly frees, they would have been out of sight. Some good performances though from Kieran Power, Dillon, Midget Roche, Shane McNulty and Tadgh Bourke.

Only the minors left now but at least they have another 2 games so the stage is all theirs.

Of course sure Martin ONeil Co. Yes it was very even up until the sending off but I thought our forwards were struggling and constantly being fouled as you said in another post. But I thought it was a clever tactic out of Clare as we never got a sniff of a goal and they got away with it. Clare are a fairly big team and I think they will give Tipp enough of it. Cork were shocking last night so its hard to judge how good Tipp really are. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't that Tipp team we beat in 09 give Cork a fair hammering in the sem-final.

I'm not so sure. We weren't giving away the same frees or a sniff on goal, and they had more dangerous forwards than ours yet we were leading when Prendergast was sent off. I think the fact Clare also played a spare man back like us, played into our hands really.

No Tipp beat Cork after a replay. And 3 years ago, Cork beat Tipp after extra time. What difference those years have made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

Jake Dillion had an outstanding game today i think he scored 13 points which is fantastic i think he is the person to take over from mullane

I agree that he's some hurler.
    Let's not mount pressure on him he's still very young

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement