Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squatting & Deadlifting & Long-Term Back Problems

Options
  • 09-10-2014 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭

I just wanted to get the views of this forum on the suggestion that heavy squatting and deadlifting, even with correct form, can lead to back problems, maybe not today but as you get older. A friend of mine has serious back issues right now and the physios he has seen suggest it could very well be related to his weightlifting, in particular, squatting and deadlifting. The physio was saying, "sure, squatting and deadlifting has its health benefits, but at the end of the day, putting a bar across your shoulders with heavy weights and going up and down just isn't natural and you are putting certain parts of your body, such as your back, under serious stress, likewise with the deadlift. Where as, other lifts such as bench press or curls or leg extensions etc, are a lot safer, still allow you to exercise and wont put your body under those same stresses which your body will thank you for when you're in your 50s and 60s or even today". So is doing those heavy squats or deadlifts in an attempt to get a great body today going to leave you with an injury riddled body later in life? Opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,558 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Squatting, for example, is a very natural movement. If you do it properly, the addition of a weight shouldn't leave you with crippling back problems when you're older.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Some people never squat and deadlift and still get back problems..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭Edwardius

How much? How often? How ugly? There's no actual answer to your question without qualifying all the circumstances!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Most people who don't squat or deadlift have back problems.

Some people who squat or deadlifting wrong have back problems.

WIthout context or knowing more, the physio sounds like a dinosaur.

It could be the case that for your friend they're correct.

Not something the internet can decide in this case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭tenifan

Anything in moderation. Running has health benefits yet it's bad for your knees.
    I think heavy squatting/deadlifts couldn't be good for you, but squats/deadlifts with a few kilos probably has some benefits in terms of strengthening your core and back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

My guess is the physio has never squatted. The back problem issue is usually just an excuse for people to skip legs or be a pussy and just use the leg press and leg curls.

Squatting is a natural movement, cavemen squatted when they sh*t didn't they?! If you use good form, it's highly unlikely you'll develop injuries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Guy: My back hurts.
    Physio: Do you do anything that could hurt your back?
    Guy: Well... I squat and deadlift.
    Physio: That's it then.

Profit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

I hurt my back deadlifting a few weeks ago. Usually have very good form but for multiple stupid reasons I had the bar too far out in front of me when I started my 1RM, strained a facet joint in my in spine and, dropped the weight by 10% and did a double. Made a mess of my back. Thought I'd have to defend the deadlift to the doctor and physio and put the blame on myself, but they both new it was bad form and not the exercise itself. Had to do lots of exercises for my lumbar area, and asked the physio would I have to do hyperextensions/ glute bridges etc. from now on or for a few months to fix up my back...

....I was delighted when he said 'No, deadlifts should should fix you right up'.

+1 on Nervous Wreck

There are lots of 'suggestions' out there. People think the world is 6,000 years old, is flat and that the sun revolves around it. Just because it's suggested doesn't mean it warrants you wasting cognitive function on it.

There are a lot of pussies out there that will come up with the biggest pile of bull just so they don't want to squat or deadlift. When I say they are pussies, it's not because they won't squat or deadlift, it's because they won't man up and tell the truth. I'd have a lot more respect for some that says 'Couldn't be arsed squatting or deadlifting, sure only lads are impressed by that, I want guns for the ladies' than someone who said 'Actually, I have a friend who said in fifty years I might get back pain from squatting and deadlifting so I'm not going to do it'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post_hoc_ergo_propter_hoc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HL_vHDjG5Wk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

In my own personal experience I cant squat or deadlift at the moment because when I do im left crippled for the week after and its not a nice experience. That said, i'd give my left leg to squat without the worry of being bent over like quasimodo for the rest of the week. Also if I gave my left leg, I wouldnt be able to squat... so perhaps I wouldnt.

Squatting is a natural movement alright, but our joints and ROM have become unnatural, sitting all day etc etc, means most people dont have mobility/stability squat effectively. work on weaknesses and movement first then squat to your hearts content.

its the same with runners. Most people have so many compensatory patterns when they run they end up in a heap. Squatting and deadlifting has as much chance of giving us back pain as any other activity.

On a side note, ive been doing a lot of reading of late on the neuroscience of pain and its very quite interesting. Argument for our nervous system perceiving a particular movement to be a threat or dangerous, thus causing pain. Its not the movement or the exercise that illicits the pain response, its the braining reading the situation as dangerous and trying to protect its self. Hence chronic pain. Interesting stuff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

thehamo wrote: »
    In my own personal experience I cant squat or deadlift at the moment because when I do im left crippled for the week after and its not a nice experience. That said, i'd give my left leg to squat without the worry of being bent over like quasimodo for the rest of the week. Also if I gave my left leg, I wouldnt be able to squat... so perhaps I wouldnt.

Squatting is a natural movement alright, but our joints and ROM have become unnatural, sitting all day etc etc, means most people dont have mobility/stability squat effectively. work on weaknesses and movement first then squat to your hearts content.

its the same with runners. Most people have so many compensatory patterns when they run they end up in a heap. Squatting and deadlifting has as much chance of giving us back pain as any other activity.

On a side note, ive been doing a lot of reading of late on the neuroscience of pain and its very quite interesting. Argument for our nervous system perceiving a particular movement to be a threat or dangerous, thus causing pain. Its not the movement or the exercise that illicits the pain response, its the braining reading the situation as dangerous and trying to protect its self. Hence chronic pain. Interesting stuff.

Exceptionally solid post. And that last paragraph is something I've been curious about for a while too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Hanley wrote: »
    Exceptionally solid post. And that last paragraph is something I've been curious about for a while too!

You should have a look at Diane Jacobs work/blogs and Lorimer Moseley, if you haven't already of course! Moseley had a good podcast available on soundcloud with BJSM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

I had back pain through secondary school from falling off horses when I was younger. After trying loads of different stretching the only thing that sorted it was strengthening the low back with deadlifts and goodmornings.

Advertisement