Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What workout goes best with fat loss?

Options
  • 03-10-2014 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭

Hi first time posting in this thread.

So I cleaned up my diet about 5 months ago and currently at a calorie deficit of about 400.

I've been making good progress(feel and look better) but I want to start going to the gym to aid my progress and want to get some feedback on what is good workout/exercise when fat loss is the main goal and at a calorie deficit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

For me, running seems to be the one that uses most calories for time put in.

For example, I did a 14k run in August and it used around 1,150 calories. An 11k cycle in August used 272 calories.

Run took just over an hour. Cycle took just over half an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭agent graves

get yourself a skipping rope and a hiit app.. high intensity is the way to go for weight loss. skipping is also fun. it beats pounding the pavement. especially in the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭CM24

Weight training is the way to go. The fat loss comes from the diet mainly. You could get an excellent physique just lifting weights and maintaining a deficit through diet.

http://simplesciencefitness.com/#anaerobic-training Look at the 3x base program there. That would be a decent way to start

It seems logical to most newbies that cardio is the best option to lose fat but you're doing yourself a massive disservice if you don't lift weights too.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭RomanGod

Slydice wrote: »
    For me, running seems to be the one that uses most calories for time put in.

For example, I did a 14k run in August and it used around 1,150 calories. An 11k cycle in August used 272 calories.

Run took just over an hour. Cycle took just over half an hour.

You can do HIIT on a spin bike (30 seconds fast paced, 1 minute moderate pace, repeat for 15 rounds) and it will use up more calories than spending that time just cycling at a moderate pace. The HIIT keeps burning calories long after youre finished. Same applies to running. The only thing is you have to go all out for those 30 seconds, it's not easy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭caolfx

HIIT, running, weights....they all work so do what you enjoy doing. Definitely try and add a weights routine though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭RomanGod

SuperOito wrote: »
    HIIT, running, weights....they all work so do what you enjoy doing. Definitely try and add a weights routine though.

I think 45 minutes of weights followed by 15 minutes of HIIT is the best way to get shredded. Obviously you don't need cardio to lose fat as long as your diet is spot on and youre not taking long rest periods in your workouts, but when you're trying to get rid of that last 5lbs and you've hit a wall it's worth throwing the cardio in

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭csallmighty

Thanks for the replies, very much appreciated.

RomanGod wrote: »
    You can do HIIT on a spin bike (30 seconds fast paced, 1 minute moderate pace, repeat for 15 rounds)
    Interesting, maybe I could do something like that in my cycling. Especially as I wouldn't mind getting a bit tiny bit leaner. Was worried the only way I could achieve it without reducing food intake was running.

During the 11k I posted about, it looks like I was doing an average of 19.6km/h. Peak seems to have been 34km/h and lowest seems to have been 12km/h.

What sort of speed does the HIIT involve?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,557 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Interesting, maybe I could do something like that in my cycling. Especially as I wouldn't mind getting a bit tiny bit leaner. Was worried the only way I could achieve it without reducing food intake was running.

During the 11k I posted about, it looks like I was doing an average of 19.6km/h. Peak seems to have been 34km/h and lowest seems to have been 12km/h.

What sort of speed does the HIIT involve?

All out, whatever that is for you.

You get a minute to recover. After a while you can start to reduce the rest periods.

All out, whatever that is for you.

You get a minute to recover. After a while you can start to reduce the rest periods.

Cool. Anyone tell me what should I read up on to know more about doing exercises in ways that use up calories afterwards when I'm no longer doing exercise? It's hardly just this cycle all out for 60 seconds in intervals is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,557 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Cool. Anyone tell me what should I read up on to know more about doing exercises in ways that use up calories afterwards when I'm no longer doing exercise? It's hardly just this cycle all out for 60 seconds in intervals is it?

Without going too sciency on it, interval training means you get much higher intensities and anaerobic training which generates the afterburn. That's a very very basic explanation.

You don't get that intensity from steady state exercise such as a run or cycle at a steady pace.

You can apply interval training to a lot of cardio-type exercises.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭daithi1970

Without going too sciency on it, interval training means you get much higher intensities and anaerobic training which generates the afterburn. That's a very very basic explanation.

You don't get that intensity from steady state exercise such as a run or cycle at a steady pace.

hiiit followed by steady state aerobic exercise will help to boost the post exercise afterburn though.. if your'e looking to lose weight, weight training followed by tabata ( a shortened,but intense variant of hiit) will do the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭daithi1970

hiiit followed by steady state aerobic exercise will help to boost the post exercise afterburn though.. if your'e looking to lose weight, weight training followed by tabata ( a shortened,but intense variant of hiit) will do the trick.
    TABATA: 5 min warm up on bike, 20 secs all out, followed by 20 secs stop, repeat the cycle 8 times, cool down 2 mins. If that is too hard starting out, increase the rest period and decrease it gradually as you become accustomed to it.
    Do tabata no more than 3 times a week-it is a short exercise but is fairly intense, and the body does need time for rest and repair.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Purely calorie wise, definitely running, heavier you are, the more you lose too haha.
    I'd just mix weights, HIITs and regular running for more overall balance. It won't really matter as long as you are doing any work at all.
    Main place to lose weight is diet btw, start there and do your work as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Strength work is far more efficient than running for fat loss. Running to burn off calories you ate during the day is just silly.

Strength work retains or builds muscle so the loss is all fat, unlike pure cardio which will be fat and muscle.

Advertisement