Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Global Force Wrestling thread

Options

Comments

Scott D'Amore will attach to anything within 50km, it's called "gravity".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

It's a nothing promotion,simply an idea that they let out of the box too early,no roster no shows no real deals,terrible amateur merchandise and website,just much a do about nothing really will be surprised if it goes anywhere half decent

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

EdK wrote: »
    It's a nothing promotion,simply an idea that they let out of the box too early,no roster no shows no real deals,terrible amateur merchandise and website,just much a do about nothing really will be surprised if it goes anywhere half decent

Just curious, but how would you be able to compile a roster without an actual promotion? Promotions pop up all the time. Nobody in their right mind will sign up before they know something is happening. Jarrett seems to be taking care of the back room stuff first, which makes sense as they can then help with putting together a roster.

I agree about it coming out too early though. Should have done all this stuff first.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Just curious, but how would you be able to compile a roster without an actual promotion? Promotions pop up all the time. Nobody in their right mind will sign up before they know something is happening. Jarrett seems to be taking care of the back room stuff first, which makes sense as they can then help with putting together a roster.

I agree about it coming out too early though. Should have done all this stuff first.

That's a fair point they won't be able to sign up anyone until it's solid but the using videos and photos of talents who likely won't be involved to any great degree is a cheap ploy,but people probably want to know they kind of talent who would be involved I'm sure Jarrett has enough clout to agree in principle with a few people to be involved without full time contracts.

They need to put together something sooner rather than later before people start losing interest

EdK wrote: »
    That's a fair point they won't be able to sign up anyone until it's solid but the using videos and photos of talents who likely won't be involved to any great degree is a cheap ploy,but people probably want to know they kind of talent who would be involved I'm sure Jarrett has enough clout to agree in principle with a few people to be involved without full time contracts.

They need to put together something sooner rather than later before people start losing interest

Didn't Toby Keith let something slip about TV in the new year? I'm guessing he wasn't supposed to say anything so now they are doing little bits to kill time since it is only June.

Agreeing in principle and announcing are two different things. Hogan agreed to join TNA years earlier, they even filmed an angle in Japan but he then signed with WWE instead. I'd guess Jarrett learned from that as he is not an idiot.

• Advertisement

Biggest news yet, GFW have seemingly signed a deal with NJPW, similar to what ROH currently have.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Biggest news yet, GFW have seemingly signed a deal with NJPW, similar to what ROH currently have.

New Japan-ROH-GFW tie-up for August

New Japan Pro Wrestling announced today that besides the finals of the G-1 Climax tournament, the 8/10 show at the 33,000-seat Seibu Dome, the first pro wrestling event ever in the facility, will include Adam Cole, Mike Bennett, Kyle O'Reilly, Bobby Fish, Maria Kanellis and Jeff Jarrett, and that New Japan and Global Force Wrestling will be having a promotional tie-in.

Interesting as ROH and TNA are at "war."

Also the promotional graphic for the ROH talent
    suggests Adam Cole is dropping the ROH title soon likely tomorrows PPV

• Registered Users Posts: 60,286 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

First PPV to be held on January, 4 2015.

See it appearing on a lot of the copy and paste sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

First PPV to be held on January, 4 2015.

See it appearing on a lot of the copy and paste sites.

Only makes sense if they have something worked out with NJPW in a 2 for 1 type deal.

• Advertisement

New Japan PPVs will be relabeled Global Force Wrestling when it appears on traditional US PPV. Jeff is a cute hoar.

New Japan Television aired on Eurosport as well on other stations in other markets as "Ring Warriors" in the 90s.

It could work well for NJPW.

US exposure for them if Jeff can get some sort of tv deal Stateside.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Insideandout

Really interested to see who pops up in GFW with the strategy Jarrett has been following. Plus, NJPW getting their PPV's broadcast in the US can only be a good thing.

Really interested to see who pops up in GFW with the strategy Jarrett has been following. Plus, NJPW getting their PPV's broadcast in the US can only be a good thing.

I still think GFW is just going to be an NWA type deal. They have probably a dozen working agreements but not a single wrestler under contract. I think the plan is to show a best of type show every week featuring the various promotions. For example, week 1 would be an hour of recent NJPW stuff, then week 2 would be AAA and so on.

GFW To Present NJPW’s Wrestle Kingdom 9 On PPV In North America
    NASHVILLE — Global Force Wrestling is proud to announce that the first event under its banner will be in conjunction with New Japan Pro Wrestling and its Jan. 4 show from the Tokyo Dome.

“GFW Presents New Japan Pro Wrestling’s Wrestle Kingdom 9” will air live in North America at 2 a.m. ET on Jan. 4, which is 4 p.m. in Tokyo. The four-hour telecast also will air in primetime in North America at 7 p.m. ET on your pay-per-view provider, including DirecTV, Dish, AT&T U-verse, Comcast, Verizon Fios and all cable systems in the United States, and in Canada on Bell ExpressVu TV, Rogers, Shaw, Sasktel and Telus. Check your local listings for availability. The show also will be available on the “Flipps” app on iTunes or Android.

“Wrestle Kingdom 9” will be the 24th consecutive year for the Jan. 4 dome event, which kicks off the year in Japan and annually is the largest wrestling show in the world outside of the United States, drawing in excess of 40,000 fans.

“This is one of the great events on the wrestling calendar every year, and for GFW to have the opportunity to bring it to the American audience is an honor and a privilege,” GFW founder and CEO Jeff Jarrett said. “This event has a history that involves not only the greatest names in Japanese wrestling history but some of the greatest names in U.S. wrestling history.”

NJPW founder and wrestling icon Antonio Inoki has appeared on the Jan. 4 dome show five times. Other legends to appear include Hulk Hogan, Dusty Rhodes, Sting, the Steiner Brothers, Big Van Vader, Randy Savage, Brock Lesnar, the Great Muta, the Great Kabuki, Masahiro Chono and Riki Choshu.

This year’s card is headlined by an IGWP heavyweight title match between Hiroshi Tanahashi and Kazuchika Okada. The Bullet Club, of which Jarrett is a member along with A.J. Styles and IWGP tag team champions Karl Anderson and Doc Gallows, is expected to appear on the show as well.

The show will be available in English and in Japanese via the second audio program (SAP) button on your TV. GFW will reveal the North American announcers for the event in the near future.

http://globalforcewrestling.com/gfwnjpwppv/?utm_content=buffer6ff6a&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Jarrett > McMahon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭Riddle101

rovert wrote: »
    Jarrett > McMahon

Let's not start praising him just yet. It hasn't even started yet.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

rovert wrote: »
    Jarrett > McMahon

YEEEEEAH!

15529123448_69b8f6f377_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

Double J has done it again! Great news for NJPW moving into the U.S. market. Any word on if they're lining up an English broadcast team? Matt Striker number one on the list obviously

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Would absolutely love good old JR calling wrestlekingdom!

Doubt it'd happen of course but I'd say if you'd advertise the biggest show in Japanese wrestling with Ross's voice you could pull a good crowd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Double J has done it again! Great news for NJPW moving into the U.S. market. Any word on if they're lining up an English broadcast team? Matt Striker number one on the list obviously

I could be wrong but I've heard reports of Striker being the commentator for that new lucha fed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

ShagNastii wrote: »
    I could be wrong but I've heard reports of Striker being the commentator for that new lucha fed.

Lucha Underground? Planning on having a look this weekend when I've a free hour. Seeing as my WWE network subscription is delayed indefinitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Garseys

ShagNastii wrote: »

Himself and Vampiro are the English Broadcast team.

I'd personally like Chael Sonnen and JR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Stick JR & Don West together :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Jeff will probably take the dome footage and shop it round to TV networks passing it off as his own, and be like "Look i can draw 40,000 fans. GIVE ME A TV DEAL!"

Typical carny style

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

TV networks will be looking for ratings and an audience in the US they can sell to advertisers. US advertisers aren't going to have much to sell to wrestling fans in Japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Price point in the US is apparently going to be $34.95 (not including the HD premium) which I would've said was way too high.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Price point in the US is apparently going to be $34.95 (not including the HD premium) which I would've said was way too high.

it's not like it's $9.99 alright and that is what the biggest wrestling company in the states is beating into the ground. In fact they are openly laughing at people who pay more for their product so it might be hard to convince folk that this is worth more than 3 times that especially when the audience in the states who probably already have an interest in watching Japanese wrestling are the same ones who might be more inclined to watch online and that does not usually = paying customers.

It is high but it is a very niche audience. You do need to make up the cost. Also in fairness it is a 4 hour show and their Wrestlemania. It ain't a rinky dink ROH PPV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

It's even a big step up from the price that existing customers would have payed on uStream. And $34.95 is a big chunk to try and get people to pay who might be new to New Japan looking to sample the product.

Advertisement