Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boojum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Yeah. I must be the first Galway business ever to have got through five pages on Boards without having had anything bad said about it.

Except for them giving those pesky students special treatment :D Disgraceful stuff it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

saw they had chorizo as a filling in there yesterday but went for chicken. anyone try it out ?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,704 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Seaneh wrote: »
    Good to see an Irish family owned business doing a great job!

Ahh, sure but they're blow-ins. Them Dubs are just donw here to make money out off us, they'll cart the profits back to their mansion in the Wicklow mountains and live it up at our expense. Sure we should be supporting our very own Galway lads in Mr Waffle and SuperMacs, not these outsiders.

(FWIW, I have absolutley no idea who owns it, or where they're from. And I don't use ethnicity or county-of-origin as a reason for making my commercial decisions. But the above was too good not to say!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Boojum originates in Belfast, no idea who owns it....

Have tried the chorizo as an extra in a chicken boojum, didn't think it added anything tbh - might be better in others...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Yeah I was in there. It's nice. Cheap, cheerful, clean and tasty.
    It's not that it's the best Mexican food ever or anything.

It's just that it's not an insult to Mexican food which is what La Salsa is.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Ahh, sure but they're blow-ins. Them Belfasters are just donw here to make money out off us, they'll cart the profits back to their mansion in the Wicklow mountains and live it up at our expense. Sure we should be supporting our very own Galway lads in Mr Waffle and SuperMacs, not these outsiders.

(FWIW, I have absolutley no idea who owns it, or where they're from. And I don't use ethnicity or county-of-origin as a reason for making my commercial decisions. But the above was too good not to say!)

FYP :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭thesandeman

churchview wrote: »
    Except for them giving those pesky students special treatment :D Disgraceful stuff it is!

They were probably intimidated. That's how students work the system. Sure they don't even pay for their copybooks these days ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭emptybladder

Any recommendations for a burrito virgin today?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭squonk

I popped in last night. Holy moly! Very quick, clean spot, very helpful staff and the fajita I had was very tasty! The food was reasonably priced as well! Far better than heading to Schmacks or the equivalent. I went for the pork filling which was delish. They have proper hot sauces as well on the tables which I love! I want to go back again, and again, and again....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

How much is a burrito? I know they are 7.25 in La Salsa. Are they a bit cheaper in Boojum?

• Advertisement

kraggy wrote: »
    How much is a burrito? I know they are 7.25 in La Salsa. Are they a bit cheaper in Boojum?

Think they are cheaper than La Salsa though I've yet to go in due to being in Dyblin for the past week.

Even if Boojum was more than La Salsa I'd happily pay the extra if the food was good. La Salsa and El Burrito are both disgusting and tasteless with the food quickly turning into a soggy mess

• Registered Users Posts: 11,989 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

5.45 for a burrito.so cheaper and miles tastier than the rest.

Are they as big? Cause whatever about taste, la salsa burritos are a decent size.

Are they as big? Cause whatever about taste, la salsa burritos are a decent size.

They're large enough to fill you... The burrito bowl is even larger again. Huge portion.
    Also, to be fair, la salsa's quality is so bad, why would larger portions of terrible food be a good thing?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

5.45 for a burrito.so cheaper and miles tastier than the rest.

€6 for a veggie, €6.25 for chicken and €6.45 for beef or pork.

All are €5.50 with a student card as far as I know.

Good value considering they are bloody huge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

If go as far as to say that I wish they did smaller portions, would love to go in at lunch time now and again but there's no hope I'd be able to finish one and still be fit to go back to work. Half portions would be prefect for that

They're large enough to fill you... The burrito bowl is even larger again. Huge portion.
    Also, to be fair, la salsa's quality is so bad, why would larger portions of terrible food be a good thing?

I don't mind la salsa. It certainly beats paying over the odds and still being hungry afterwards, which is what happened when I ate in Kellys. Was still hungry after eating a supposed main course.

Still feeling hungry after paying for food is a major gripe of mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,989 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Seaneh wrote: »
    €6 for a veggie, €6.25 for chicken and €6.45 for beef or pork.

All are €5.50 with a student card as far as I know.

Good value considering they are bloody huge.

Sh1t ya sorry, was thinking it sounded too cheap when i wrote that.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Depends who's serving ya the meat portion, my first burrito wasn't huge but wasn't small either, the second one i had was massive though...same happens at la salsa from memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's just that it's not an insult to Mexican food which is what La Salsa is.
    Please read charter: "For instance do not post anti-recommendations, if you don't like a place then do not post here to let people know.
    Service/food experiences are too subjective to be reliable".

Feel free to "up" Boojums but please don't let it be at the expense of anyone else.

• Advertisement

The trick with Boojum here is go in in the last half hour or so before closing, then you get a bloody MASSIVE one! :D

biko wrote: »
    Please read charter: "For instance do not post anti-recommendations, if you don't like a place then do not post here to let people know.
    Service/food experiences are too subjective to be reliable".

Feel free to "up" Boojums but please don't let it be at the expense of anyone else.

Crap. Forgot about that rule.

Sorry dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Good Christ, there's good eating in that place. Myself and two buddies went in for a quick peek. I know nothing about burritos, fajitas, or Mexican food in general.

The staff were so helpful and explained what everything was, and what kind of flavour different things would add. In the end I got a very mild chicken burrito. So damn good.

I'm definitely going back again soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭ratracer

I checked out Boojum for lunch today. The lunch special of fajita and a drink for €7 was good value. The food was fresh, tasty, thoroughly enjoyable.

However, while the portion size was just about acceptable for lunch, on it's own it would definitley not be sufficient for dinner, tho maybe I'm just a savage.....

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭The Belcher

Where exactly is this place folks? Can you get a takeaway or is it tables and chairs only? Apologies if this has already been mentioned just in the door from work and I speed read the thread. I assume it's an easy going casual sort of a place to eat?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Where exactly is this place folks? Can you get a takeaway or is it tables and chairs only? Apologies if this has already been mentioned just in the door from work and I speed read the thread. I assume it's an easy going casual sort of a place to eat?

The Spanish Arch. Down opposite Thai Garden. It's either eat in or takeaway, the choice is yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭The Belcher

The Spanish Arch. Down opposite Thai Garden. It's either eat in or takeaway, the choice is yours.

Good stuff, I'll have to try check it out over the weekend. Thanks.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

You've never encountered the Irish love for carvery then? Moar is moar.

On point, Boojum rocks. Being a sophisticated Dublin type these days, I live within walking distance of at least 3 burrito joints and Boojum wins every time. I live in the Hammock District, perpendicular to the Burrito Quarter.

protip: mix the salsas! ;) am partial to the tomato and coriander with a nice dose of salsa verde...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Treadhead wrote: »
    protip: mix the salsas! ;) am partial to the tomato and coriander with a nice dose of salsa verde...

Similar, but i have a dash of the hotter sauce in lieu of the salsa verde :)

Advertisement