Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chest pains.

Options
  • 07-10-2014 12:28am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21

Ok I just want to say I am not asking for medical advice nor do I want it from strangers on the internet (no offence). Ok for the last few days i have had chest pains and other weird ailments in my neck and jaw area. The problem is I genuinely cannot afford to go see a doctor and I have applied for a medical card which has yet to materialize, its still in progress. Anyway I am wondering If I go to A&E tomorrow will a doctor see me or am I wasting my time and the time of staff who are overstretched and under paid as it is. I really don't want to go there and be told I have indigestion.
    Help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

If you just turn up at a and e there us a charge of 100 euro unless you have a gp letter or a medical card.
    Ring a few local doctors and ask how much for 1 check up. It will probably be much less and if they think it is required will give you a letter to attend a and e

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

You will be seen but it may take a long time depending on how serious the triage nurse thinks it is.

I wouldn't worry about wasting their time as its not as though you have a sore finger, its a valid reason for going.

Is there no way you can get the money for the doctors as a letter from the doctor would mean you would not have to pay for the hospital visit (although you would still have to pay for treatments) should you be unsuccessful in your application for a medical card.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21 chipsahoy

If you just turn up at a and e there us a charge of 100 euro unless you have a gp letter or a medical card.
    Ring a few local doctors and ask how much for 1 check up. It will probably be much less and if they think it is required will give you a letter to attend a and e

The thing is I actually have zero euro I think I might have minus zero euro, If I got a bill for 100 euro next week It really would not bother me. If I thought it could wait I would go next week instead but the pain really is awful. I don't even have anyone I could ask to loan me the cash.

hearny wrote: »
    You will be seen but it may take a long time depending on how serious the triage nurse thinks it is.

I wouldn't worry about wasting their time as its not as though you have a sore finger, its a valid reason for going.

Is there no way you can get the money for the doctors as a letter from the doctor would mean you would not have to pay for the hospital visit (although you would still have to pay for treatments) should you be unsuccessful in your application for a medical card.

If I had anyone I could ask I would ask straight away but I really don't, I am wondering If I rang the medical card crowd would they do anything for me

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Mate go to the A&E if youre in that bad pain, say you don't have cash at moment. They will still treat you, 100% guaranteed. Bill will be put in post.

• Advertisement

chipsahoy wrote: »
    The thing is I actually have zero euro I think I might have minus zero euro, If I got a bill for 100 euro next week It really would not bother me. If I thought it could wait I would go next week instead but the pain really is awful. I don't even have anyone I could ask to loan me the cash.

Well then go to the hospital. Turn up around 8 am as the day staff start. The labs and X ray department will be fully staffed so tests should be able to be done. If you are lucky it will be quiet on a Tuesday morning and you might get out in a couple of hours

Mate go to the A&E if youre in that bad pain, say you don't have cash at moment. They will still treat you, 100% guaranteed. Bill will be put in post.

Thanks I will go in the morning. I would go tonight but then I would have noone to look after the little one

Well then go to the hospital. Turn up around 8 am as the day staff start. The labs and X ray department will be fully staffed so tests should be able to be done. If you are lucky it will be quiet on a Tuesday morning and you might get out in a couple of hours
    To be honest it would be a mini holiday for me ha, Ive never been to a hospital as a patient before though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

You should turn up at your A & E and tell them you are suffering chest pain.
    You are supposed to be seen within 15 minutes.
    Your chest pain problem sounds serious. Don't put it off . Go now.

You should turn up at your A & E and tell them you are suffering chest pain.
    You are supposed to be seen within 15 minutes.
    Your chest pain problem sounds serious. Don't put it off . Go now.

I would go now but, my little one is asleep with noone to watch her if I go. and really 15 mins ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

how old is the little one? can you bring her with you? i'd go now too. at this time it's likely to be pretty quiet so should be quick.

The 15 minutes probably means by a nurse to check your vitals and ensure you're not about to drop dead. Not 15 minutes to see a doctor and get a diagnosis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Chest pain is taken seriously. Go to a hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭poeticmakaveli

yeah man go now, don't let it bother you any longer and as a guy said above, they will treat you anyway,tell them you will fix it up later! i done that before and they sent me out a bill, get it over with and now would be a good time to go in! get it done and hopefully and im confident there could be another explanation for it and you will be back home and have a good nights sleep and that over you! pain in the chest for days? I'd imagine if it was serious it would have came on long ago, you could have done muscles at the front of your chest, i done that before and doctor was able to tell me! either way,get it over with and don't worry about the bill!!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I am going to close this thread. Hopefully the op got the medical help they needed. Any a&e charge may well be written off once the medical card is issued, btw.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement