Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Diet to lose belly fat before wedding

• 30-06-2014 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭

Hi Im getting married in early October and i hav a belly tat i wud love to get rid of before then. Im reading a book at the moment called Fat around the middle, its written by Marilyn Glenville. Basically there are 4 components to losing fat in 3 months.
    Stress and the hormone cortisol stores fat around the middle.
    Diet- Lots of protein, fruit and veg, seeds, beans, and very little carbs.
    Exercise and
    Suplements- minerals, vitamins and amino acids.
    They provide tests; adrenal stress test, insulin resistance test, food allergy test and yeast and parasite test. Id love to do these but they are well over 100 each.
    My question is wud it be difficult to go 3 months with no carbohydrates. I play ladies football twice a week and I work in childcare. are carbs important, i grew up on bread and will be it tricky to come off it.
    the website is www.marilynglenville.com

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Egass13

Henwin wrote: »
    Hi Im getting married in early October and i hav a belly tat i wud love to get rid of before then. Im reading a book at the moment called Fat around the middle, its written by Marilyn Glenville. Basically there are 4 components to losing fat in 3 months.
    Stress and the hormone cortisol stores fat around the middle.
    Diet- Lots of protein, fruit and veg, seeds, beans, and very little carbs.
    Exercise and
    Suplements- minerals, vitamins and amino acids.
    They provide tests; adrenal stress test, insulin resistance test, food allergy test and yeast and parasite test. Id love to do these but they are well over 100 each.
    My question is wud it be difficult to go 3 months with no carbohydrates. I play ladies football twice a week and I work in childcare. are carbs important, i grew up on bread and will be it tricky to come off it.
    the website is www.marilynglenville.com

I would say impossible rather than difficult! The only carbs I take in for the last 2 weeks are intra and post workout. And from when I wake in the morning , until I train at about 6:30 , I'm possibly the worst person to be around. And on rest days when I have no carbs I'm practically impossible to be around. Lots of posters here that can give good advice, I hope it benefits you and Dsnt just turn into another session of handbags between posters. Best of luck !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,654 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

When you say "very little carbs", how much would that be?

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Henwin

she doesnt give specific guidelines but in terms of grains she suggests brown rice, oats, rye, quinoa, buckwheat, millet, barley, and maize. ii reckon brown rice is my best option there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

I think your best bet is to start putting some numbers around what you eat. So specifically;
    Work out your daily calorie needs (see stickies to calculate)
    Reduce this by 300-500 calories a day. Eat that much
    Use myfitnesspal to track what you eat daily.

When you've been doing this successfully for a while you can get more specific with your macros (carbs,protein,fat).

I'm currently trying to stick to 40% protein, 30% fat 30% carbs. Myfitnesspal will work this out for you too. This works out at 120g of carbs for me a day. I generally get this from porridge, veg and bread. It generally allows me to have carbs at 2 of my meals.

You can't reduce fat in specific areas of your body. You need to reduce your body fat overall. My stomach fat is my most stubborn area too.

Have you had a read of the nutrition stickies? They're a great resource. If you can afford it a session with a personal trainer would be really beneficial I reckon.

Good luck with it. I'm getting married in October too :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I gave up carbs (bread, pasta, rice) about 5 weeks ago and I have to say that it's quite easy once you get your head around the fact that your meal won't have carbs in it. I eat eggs in the morning, a huge salad with a variation of meat, fish, cheese, avocado plus olive oil for lunch. For dinner it's meat/fish with lots of salad or veg preferably dark green ones. I'd have some Greek or natural yoghurt with berries every other day, a little bit of fruit (but a lot less than before) and a handful of nuts for snacks.

I've never felt hungry, I eat to fullness and I don't calorie count. I had a stubborn 3-4lbs hanging around and they've gone but I haven't bothered weighing myself to see if there's more gone.

It's actually a liberation after 20 odd years of calorie counting and fat/low fat obsessing. I eat a bit of chocolate, mostly dark, and I'd have a treat or two at the weekends just like before.

I don't necessarily follow any one type of 'diet' or paleo, hflc. I just feel much better in myself but I was always very sensitive to carbs and had a strong wheat intolerance for more than 10 years until I got pregnant. It magically disappeared when I was pregnant but carbs always bloated me.

Give it a go and see how you get on.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 InkGirl

I think I gave up carbs 2 weeks before my wedding - it really does work well. Also cutting out alcohol reduces the tummy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

I reduced my calorie intake and lost weight, I don't know if it will work for everyone though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭dutopia

Less food in, more energy burned. If you can do that for a few months you have a winner.

But seriously, take a close look at calorie counts, eat healthy and in moderation and get into a manageable exercise routine that works for you. If you have unrealistic expectations you'll likely crash and burn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

I gave up carbs (bread, pasta, rice) about 5 weeks ago and I have to say that it's quite easy once you get your head around the fact that your meal won't have carbs in it. I eat eggs in the morning, a huge salad with a variation of meat, fish, cheese, avocado plus olive oil for lunch. For dinner it's meat/fish with lots of salad or veg preferably dark green ones. I'd have some Greek or natural yoghurt with berries every other day, a little bit of fruit (but a lot less than before) and a handful of nuts for snacks.

I've never felt hungry, I eat to fullness and I don't calorie count. I had a stubborn 3-4lbs hanging around and they've gone but I haven't bothered weighing myself to see if there's more gone.

It's actually a liberation after 20 odd years of calorie counting and fat/low fat obsessing. I eat a bit of chocolate, mostly dark, and I'd have a treat or two at the weekends just like before.

I don't necessarily follow any one type of 'diet' or paleo, hflc. I just feel much better in myself but I was always very sensitive to carbs and had a strong wheat intolerance for more than 10 years until I got pregnant. It magically disappeared when I was pregnant but carbs always bloated me.

+1 to all this.

I cut out bread, pasta etc about 3 months ago. Not due to any intolerances - I love carbs, they agree with me no problem.

I've always been fit - running, mainly in the winter, (25-35 miles pw) or cycling in the summer (200km+ pw).I've been lean at times (when things were going really well - cycling 300km + week usually with races thrown in) but the majority of the time I was 'skinny fat' - skinny to normal people but never quite happy myself due to bit of flab on the tummy. I was basically always trying to out exercise my diet and always loading up on carbs before and after - big plates of pasta after training.

When I think back on myself guzzling lucozade and taking energy gels for long cycles it's a bit embarrassing really.

Since the changes I've dropped from a plateau weight of 11'5 to about 11'1 - but more importantly feel far far leaner. (despite no exercise for 4 weeks in there post an appendix op) - the scales aren't everything - my work suit trousers have got loose.

I don't call it HFLC or paleo either as I'm not super super strict - no carbs is impossible and really low carb isn't for me - it's just far less carbs - i.e. once a day rather with every meal. To me it just makes sense - people seem to be eating carbs like elite marathon runners, with big bowls of pasta for dinner, only to sit on the sofa (often to eat a few more biscuits) and use no energy.

I never though i'd be able to give up cereal every day and my bagel for lunch but once you get your head around it it's fine. I have eggs maybe 4/5 mornings a week and porridge the other days. Then a salad for lunch (lidl pre made salad bowl is handy and I just add plenty of meat and cheese to this).

Like how strange I probably eat more then before - just significantly less carbs and sugar.

A normal day would be;

- 3 eggs scrambled (7am)
    - Banana (11am)
    - Massive Salad with meat (1.30pm) and greek Yogurt after back at desk
    - Couple of Handfuls of nuts (Macadamia's & Brazils usually)
    - 2 cod fillets & loads of veg or salad (or 3 chicken drumsticks/steak/3 pork chops etc)
    - Dessert of small handful of blueberries, strawberries & raspberries covered in double cream and spoon of greek yogurt
    - 2 pieces of Lindt 85% dark choc.

As you can see I hardly starve myself and the dessert and choc are nice treats so it's not totally restrictive either. Running only twice a week (<20km pw) and no other exercise of note.

Eating this way and cutting out sugar has been a revelation - previously everytime I was injured/inactive, though the scales would never move too much, I'd start gaining around my tummy. Myself & the wife had twins 8 months ago - I can't exercise even close to what I use to time wise, yet I've never felt leaner. She is the same - she'd plateued at 8'10 post baby for months (8'3 prior to baby) but now she's changed she's 8'5 but more importantly to her, her stomach is flat again.

Feels great to know I don't have to train 6-10 hours a week to stay lean and in shape. That alone is amazing.

kennyb3 wrote: »
    +1 to all this.

I cut out bread, pasta etc about 3 months ago. Not due to any intolerances - I love carbs, they agree with me no problem.

I've always been fit - running, mainly in the winter, (25-35 miles pw) or cycling in the summer (200km+ pw).I've been lean at times (when things were going really well - cycling 300km + week usually with races thrown in) but the majority of the time I was 'skinny fat' - skinny to normal people but never quite happy myself due to bit of flab on the tummy. I was basically always trying to out exercise my diet and always loading up on carbs before and after - big plates of pasta after training.

When I think back on myself guzzling lucozade and taking energy gels for long cycles it's a bit embarrassing really.

Since the changes I've dropped from a plateau weight of 11'5 to about 11'1 - but more importantly feel far far leaner. (despite no exercise for 4 weeks in there post an appendix op) - the scales aren't everything - my work suit trousers have got loose.

I don't call it HFLC or paleo either as I'm not super super strict - no carbs is impossible and really low carb isn't for me - it's just far less carbs - i.e. once a day rather with every meal. To me it just makes sense - people seem to be eating carbs like elite marathon runners, with big bowls of pasta for dinner, only to sit on the sofa (often to eat a few more biscuits) and use no energy.

I never though i'd be able to give up cereal every day and my bagel for lunch but once you get your head around it it's fine. I have eggs maybe 4/5 mornings a week and porridge the other days. Then a salad for lunch (lidl pre made salad bowl is handy and I just add plenty of meat and cheese to this).

Like how strange I probably eat more then before - just significantly less carbs and sugar.

A normal day would be;

- 3 eggs scrambled (7am)
    - Banana (11am)
    - Massive Salad with meat (1.30pm) and greek Yogurt after back at desk
    - Couple of Handfuls of nuts (Macadamia's & Brazils usually)
    - 2 cod fillets & loads of veg or salad (or 3 chicken drumsticks/steak/3 pork chops etc)
    - Dessert of small handful of blueberries, strawberries & raspberries covered in double cream and spoon of greek yogurt
    - 2 pieces of Lindt 85% dark choc.

As you can see I hardly starve myself and the dessert and choc are nice treats so it's not totally restrictive either. Running only twice a week (<20km pw) and no other exercise of note.

Eating this way and cutting out sugar has been a revelation - previously everytime I was injured/inactive, though the scales would never move too much, I'd start gaining around my tummy. Myself & the wife had twins 8 months ago - I can't exercise even close to what I use to time wise, yet I've never felt leaner. She is the same - she'd plateued at 8'10 post baby for months (8'3 prior to baby) but now she's changed she's 8'5 but more importantly to her, her stomach is flat again.

Feels great to know I don't have to train 6-10 hours a week to stay lean and in shape. That alone is amazing.

I think the method I mentioned is easier and tastier...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,104 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Did this 3 months ago, One day tried to close a shirt i bought end of last year and it closed fine but i looked like crap (if you get me)

Sitting in the car driving. i literally said out loud 'fk that', that was the start of it.

did exactly as above, I have wedding in two weeks (grooms man) It is now just coming up to 3 months since that faithful car drive exclamation and I am 17 Kilos down. Stomach is flat for the first time since my teens. And i am feeling much fitter.

Diet was key here, did pretty much as above. No silly business. Walk to work each day.

Bought a Suspension Trainer and used that also working out at home for 45 mins to 1 hour about 5 days a week. During the 3 months ive had 2 seperate weeks off from working out at all. (no impact just keep up the sensible eating)

I have had nights out as normal have the odd crap fry after a late night. But nothing exaggerated.

Used to have a bottle or two maybe twice a week watching the football , cut that out also. Might have a drink every other week or so.

Its just been plain sensible stuff.

Tried on the grooms suit last week and its perfect. It is a fitted suit most certainly and i would not have gotten in it 3 months ago.

down side to all this, had to feck out pretty much half my wardrobe as it is all literally hanging off me.

Bottom line - Plan for a long road. Minimum 2 months aim to be really really committed and then you should have a mind set change that sure breads dont need to be eaten everyday at breakfast and dont need to be eaten everyday for lunch.

Frankly i dont miss them, And i was a mad toast eater and love rolls.

not to say i havent eaten bread. Just not a stable of my daily diet.

good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

I think the method I mentioned is easier and tastier...

Tastier for you.....

There is diversity out there in all aspects of life....

ford2600 wrote: »
    Tastier for you.....

There is diversity out there in all aspects of life....

It doesn't require you cutting out a chunk of your diet and you can eat what you want as long as you stay within your calorie limit. It has more tastes, it's tastier.

There is grandeur in this view of life,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

It doesn't require you cutting out a chunk of your diet and you can eat what you want as long as you stay within your calorie limit. It has more tastes, it's tastier.

There is grandeur in this view of life,

I've always eaten exactly what I want to no ill effect.

Never counted a calorie.

Don't mix up grandeur with the need to feel your right or that there is only one way to do things.

No chunk cut from my life, thanks for concern; I eat like a king

It was a quote from Charles Darwin's The Origin of Species. Your line about life reminded me of it. When Darwin said it (as part of a larger section of text) it was to counter peoples' panic at the fact that just because something is simple, measurable and predictable doesn't mean it's not special. Most people just can't accept simple reality, things haven't changed much since back then.

I said a chunk from a diet, not a life.

I hope you don't think I go on like I'm always right? That would really bother me.
    ford2600 wrote: »
    Don't mix up grandeur with the need to feel your right

By the way, you should have said 'you're right'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

I didn't bother replying, as knew there would be tittle tattle after. Just wanted to give my own experience no justification necessary.

I ate that easier and tastier diet for years -never could get properly lean (pot belly but skinny despite 8-12 hours running/cycling per week). Could never get rid of the cravings or say no on a consistent basis if someone in the office bought scones or similar - now find it a doddle.

Each to their own - many ways to skin a cat.

Less calories would do the trick but to each his own I suppose.

Advertisement