Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biscuit Alternatives?

Options
  • 24-06-2014 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,883 ✭✭✭✭

I know this is prime letmeGooglethatforyou territory but I want the Irish perspective...

Just realised Im eating up to 30% of my daily calories in pure sh1t in the morning at work with my tea! We have a communal biscuit pile at work and I eat a pile of crap every morning with 2 big mugs of sugary tea.

The tea is non-negotiable I have to have it but I was wondering if theres a better alternative to custard Creams, Jammie Dodgers etc? Never realised each one can be 4-5% of your RDA until I glanced at the packs in Aldi yesterday, I would have guessed 1-2% max, they must be pure refined sugar, should have checked years ago.

Is there anything thats a good substitute? Please no crazy answers like eating a bowl of oats instead, I need a tea and biscuit alternative as this is a kind of informal meeting for 30 minutes every morning and it wont look right if Im eating fruit etc at it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,560 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Marietta, Rich Tea, Malted Milk (Aldi) would all be in the region of 45/46 kcals or less.

Marietta would be the lowest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Oreos are best biscuits

I eat Nairns ones, they're lovely
    http://www.nairns-oatcakes.com/oat-biscuits-dark-chocolate-chip

They're also not the type you'd snack on endlessly, we've no problem keeping them in the house

Ooh, those look interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,883 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Is there anything lower? Like a rice cake that doesnt taste like styrofoam or something like that?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

In fairness I think you can manage 2 biscuits in 30 mins, you don't have to eat them the whole time? or cut out the sugar from your tea and have another one
    Alternatives are one thing but breaking habits is another important one

Rice cakes are the same calories if not more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,085 ✭✭✭COH

Thargor wrote: »

Is there anything thats a good substitute? Please no crazy answers like eating a bowl of oats instead, I need a tea and biscuit alternative as this is a kind of informal meeting for 30 minutes every morning and it wont look right if Im eating fruit etc at it.

It won't look right if you eat healthily? Seriously? No offense but that's beyond ridiculous.

In our meetings, there's always fruit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Surely you're not obliged to eat biscuits with your tea!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

How about a finger of dark chocolate
    If you can stand the VERY dark kind, its not so sweet and takes a while to eat
    (its full of flavonoids and anti oxidants or so i hear)

if you cant stand the darkest ones, go down till you find a level of cocoa content that you can eat: Aldi have one that's about 50% cocoa solids and it is DELICIOUS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Marietta, Rich Tea, Malted Milk (Aldi) would all be in the region of 45/46 kcals or less.

Marietta would be the lowest.

Mariettas. The purgatory of biscuits.

• Advertisement

Banjoxed wrote: »
    Mariettas. The purgatory of biscuits.

Quite like them, myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭dutopia

Not really. Tea and dipped custard creams are heaven on earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,085 ✭✭✭COH

This thread reads to me...

Hi, I have recently become aware that I am eating far too much crap in my diet and I'd like to make a change without the people I work with judging me for trying to better myself. I also may or may not realise that what I am talking about is a sugar addiction that revolves around current social habits.

I don't want to change these habits, and I'd like to replace some refined crap with something that may be slightly less crap but not optimal for my lifestyle goals.

Do yourself a favour, actually do yourself five favours...

1 - Have a better breakfast before you leave the house so that you are not reliant on your 30min binge. I suggest an omelette w/spinach cooked in coconut oil (takes all of 3mins to prepare)
    2 - Have a cup of green tea or an americano at the meeting
    3 - have a handful of nuts/seeds
    4 - Realise that nobody other than you will care what you put in your face, nor will anyone other than you care about how you feel as a result of IT
    5 - By telling everyone the type of reply you want to hear you are essentially ignoring the only advice that might actually help you.

Kind regards,

Kieran

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭CyrilFiggis

As a biscuit alternative I like to make banana oatmeal cookies. I can't post the link but they're on a site called bionicbites

COH wrote: »
    It won't look right if you eat healthily? Seriously? No offense but that's beyond ridiculous.
    I dont mean embarrassed to be seen eating fruit obviously I get my 5 a day, I want something nice to eat with my tea, have you ever eaten fruit with tea? It doesnt go well, not to me personally anyway, I want a lower calorie biscuit.
    COH wrote: »
    This thread reads to me...

Hi, I have recently become aware that I am eating far too much crap in my diet and I'd like to make a change without the people I work with judging me for trying to better myself. I also may or may not realise that what I am talking about is a sugar addiction that revolves around current social habits.

I don't want to change these habits, and I'd like to replace some refined crap with something that may be slightly less crap but not optimal for my lifestyle goals.

Do yourself a favour, actually do yourself five favours...

1 - Have a better breakfast before you leave the house so that you are not reliant on your 30min binge. I suggest an omelette w/spinach cooked in coconut oil (takes all of 3mins to prepare)
    2 - Have a cup of green tea or an americano at the meeting
    3 - have a handful of nuts/seeds
    4 - Realise that nobody other than you will care what you put in your face, nor will anyone other than you care about how you feel as a result of IT
    5 - By telling everyone the type of reply you want to hear you are essentially ignoring the only advice that might actually help you.

Kind regards,

Kieran
    Ummm no, Ive explained what Im looking for and why, that fantasy you've written up there^ might apply to yourself or maybe you're just bored and looking to start an argument but it doesnt apply to me anyway and just sounds patronizing.

Its pretty simple but Ill explain it again if you need it, I eat too many high calorie biscuits in the morning, Im asking if theres a lower calorie alternative, spinach and coconut oil omelets/nuts and seeds etc are not alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Egass13

How about a spinach omelette made with coconut oil and some nuts and seeds... Oh wait

In seriousness though , I'm a fan of a rice cake with peanut butter and banana when I'm having a cup

• Registered Users Posts: 32 jasoncoylerd

savory wheat crackers in aldi, theyre only 1% of daily calorie allowance if you go by the pack, u can also stick in a slab of cheese or smoked salmon or something into them if you want a bit more packing than just a wheat cracker

Its pretty simple but Ill explain it again if you need it, I eat too many high calorie biscuits in the morning,

And we're suggesting your problem may be more effectively solved if you ask WHY you are eating too many calorie biscuits!
    Racking your brains and wasting time looking for cardboard tasting substitutes instead of simply having fewer of the nice ones or making sure you aren't hungry enough to eat them in the first place is much simpler and you will be better off for it.

*Nairns are still tasty though >>

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

So you're looking for a biscuity alternative to biscuits. But are not prepared to eat anything that might make you look weird in front of the goys.

Jaffa cakes have cake in the name but are in that standard biscuity form factor. Try those. Or stop eating biscuits in the morning meeting?

Dont worry about it conzy its obviously a bit too complicated of a concept for some people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Bruno26

I need a tea and biscuit alternative as this is a kind of informal meeting for 30 minutes every morning and it wont look right if Im eating fruit etc at it.

Seriously why would you care what someone thinks if you eat fruit? Why do biscuits have to be eaten with tea?

You obviously need to eat more of the right foods at breakfast as you are craving sugar in the morning. There is no need to eat anything in the morning if you are eating the right breakfast. There are no alternative biscuits - they're all crap. Does it have to be tea? Try coffee with butter & coconut oil!

Oh my God did I wander into the reading difficulties board by mistake? Is it really that difficult to picture a business meeting in a tiny little meeting room? I dont care what people think and it would be nice if we could all sit outside eating coconut oil and spinach but thats not how it works Im afraid. The thing about fruit is it stinks, especially in a tiny room, also its noisy to eat and pretty disgusting to sit beside someone eating it but above all its main problem for me is it tastes disgusting with tea, I like drinking tea and eating biscuits in the morning along with 90% of the population! I was just asking a simple question, I suppose looking back it was an open invitation for smug people to talk about their marvelous diets but fcuking hell...

Get defensive much?

Get defensive much?

Biscuits are srs bzns

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭ceekay74

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

Oh my God did I wander into the reading difficulties board by mistake?

Says the poster who came onto a Nutrition & Diet Forum looking for the best sugar snack to choose.

Jerrica wrote: »
    Says the poster who came onto a Nutrition & Diet Forum looking for the best sugar snack to choose.
    As I said, serious reading difficulties on here, or more like people reading what they want to see so they can hop up on their high horses, I wanted a low calorie alternative to an existing foodstuff, you hang around a Nutrition & Diet Forum and you've honestly never seen a question like that asked?

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Bruno26

I dont care what people think
    it wont look right if Im eating fruit etc at it.

The thing about fruit is it stinks, especially in a tiny room, also its noisy to eat.

Banana less crunchy / noisy than biscuit!

Seriously, did someone eat your last biscuit on you?

• Advertisement

Bruno26 wrote: »
    Banana less crunchy / noisy than biscuit!

He can't eat a banana in front of the guys, it would look... dodgy. Yknow.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement