Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Petition against VAT on health foods

2»

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Darragh O'Briain said in regards to herbal medicine " they took all the herbs that worked and called them drugs and what ever was left was called herbal medicine"
    Thought it was apt.

Although I get the point, I've always taken issue with that quote, no one tested every herbal medicine and then if determined valid, deemed it regular medicine.

Sometimes so called 'herbal' (so vague a term as to be deemed useless) medicine can equal or outperform medications in clinical trials. I have a couple of links in this space if anyone cares.

I'm for regulation of supplements and herbal medications (ingredients can vary and this can be dangerous), but I don't presume to think that anything that hasn't been discovered by pharma R&D is by definition useless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

it would make sense to tax healthier foods less and increase taxes on unhealthy foods

well, it would make sense to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

That's your prerorgative :) I know rationally what works for me, and it's not important whether that's panadol, or a tea or something else. panadol is also probably cheaper unless you harvest and dry your own herbal alternative (meadowseet or willow bark or something) rather than paying for it pre packaged. The herbs are someties taken in tea form but it is for a different reason (usually) to why people drink Bewley's.

The thing is, if you don't want to buy a tea or other item that isn't classed as a pharmaceutical medicine, fair enough, but many do and rationally they know it works for them or they wouldnt keep buying and using it. they do their own research and know what works and why and how it works.

If I took a panadol and someone spouted about how they dont reach for panadol because x,y,z, instead they do it another way, I would find them annoying, so would most people, so why be just as bad when someone choses an alternative method of pain management like a herbal tea or something?

If you don't care whether there's v.a.t added to health foods and teas then just don't sign it :)

That was the plan, yeah

I also drink a box of tea a week.. Even when I'm sick.. It never made me better.. So.. Yeaaaah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    it would make sense to tax healthier foods less and increase taxes on unhealthy foods

well, it would make sense to me.

But it's not fair to force people to eat food that's healthier... I don't eat healthy food and I think you should sign this petition to have the VAT on unhealthy food reduced.

Advertisement