Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BeebRock - The BBC4/BBC3/BBC2/BBC1 Music Programmes thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

Ops, impending slow set.........***grabs handbag runs to loo***

Wait, hears rift........

**flicks hair**..........:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,673 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Skid X wrote: »

Band on the Run - top tune !

Dead right Skid. Wings get stick, alright, but they were still miles better than, well, most other bands. When they were good, they were really, really good.

I'm dancing around the room here!!..........:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I used to work with a guy who got to go on a work junket to Moscow some years ago ...

He got to visit Lenin's tomb and while he was there he also got to see Paul McCartney play in Red Square ...

He never gone tired of telling everyone that he saw Lenin and McCartney in Moscow - I don't blame him, I would have done the same.

Try telling that to young one's today Skid!......

The USSR......"the wha??"

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Dead right Skid. Wings get stick, alright, but they were still miles better than, well, most other bands. When they were good, they were really, really good.

+1

Anyone could do worse than listen to Wingspan - some classic tunes there.

And here's Hey Jude - you were right to stay until the end :)

My no.1 favourite song of all time. Beacause of the melody and John & George's harmonies.

Can't imagine anyone who would walk out on a concert let alone Macca??

na, na na, na na na nah !!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

What about the wimmen???

La, la lalalalaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

lalala for the ladies!!.......:)

My no.1 favourite song of all time. Beacause of the melody and John & George's harmonies.

I wouldn't argue - It would definitely be on my Desert Island Discs list

I think that worked as a pretty good, ahem, "three party" concert thread??........

:):):)

Skid, Donie and Grey.........:)

I know i've mentioned him before on here, but check out Howard Goodall's Big Bangs - The Beatles on youtube for a detailed look at just why The Beatles were so amazing.

Woah, blues america on BBC 4? This thread is pretty well timed Skid!

I would just quickly like to note my appreciation for Paul's hair in the concert that's on now.

He's my idol in so many ways. :-D

• Advertisement

I know i've mentioned him before on here, but check out Howard Goodall's Big Bangs - The Beatles on youtube for a detailed look at just why The Beatles were so amazing.

I must check that out, cheers Ol 'Donie.

I've watched some of Howard Goodall's programmes but I think I missed that one.
    Woah, blues america on BBC 4? This thread is pretty well timed Skid!

ha, cheers man! yeah, that looks like an excellent programme - the Blues had to be exported to Britain before most of America would recognise it. Cultural Fusion at it's best. See y'all back here for that one :)

I would just quickly like to note my appreciation for Paul's hair in the concert that's on now.

He's my idol in so many ways. :-D

I loved the way he got a rock in Linda, she got a lot of stick in the days of Wings from the British Press for being beside him all the time.

They were a couple who worked really well and had a great "togetherness" on stage and off.

I think that worked as a pretty good, ahem, "three party" concert thread??........

:):):)

Skid, Donie and Grey.........:)

Really enjoyed it, g_s_w - great to have some like minded company while watching the excellent BBC4 shows :)

I love looking at the old footage of gigs, they were so much more fun then with the "awe" of the smoke and a few fireworks...........and as for lazers!!........

And then you threw in a James Bond theme.......bliss!

Paul's Solo career tends to get overlooked ... but he has consistently written excellent songs.

Here's one of my favourites

• Advertisement

And then you threw in a James Bond theme.......bliss!

His catalogue is just staggering. I'm at pains to point out to anyone i ever talk to about music just how incredible it is.

The Beatles knocked out all of their albums - Please Please Me through Sgt Pepper and on to Abbey Rd & Let It Be - in seven years. 12 albums.

To put that in context, U2, amazing as they are, are due to release their 13th album in the coming months. They started in the late 70's..

But don't forget, most of The Beatles no 1s weren't on albums.

And that's before Wings or any of the solo stuff!

This has to be on my D. Island Disc list.............

The Long and Winding Road...

And I'm not forgetting "The Frog Song".......in my very own jukebox.......:) on 45 and sounding every bit of it!! (Well, it is nearly Christmas....) :)

Jesus, yeah, don't forget "Simply Having A Wonderful Christmastime"!

His catalogue is just staggering. I'm at pains to point out to anyone i ever talk to about music just how incredible it is.

The Beatles knocked out all of their albums - Please Please Me through Sgt Pepper and on to Abbey Rd & Let It Be - in seven years. 12 albums.

To put that in context, U2, amazing as they are, are due to release their 13th album in the coming months. They started in the late 70's..

But don't forget, most of The Beatles no 1s weren't on albums.

And that's before Wings or any of the solo stuff!

Well said Donie, it's hard to contextualize how rapidly The Beatles changed music. Calypso and Skiffle were popular when they started out.

If you ever get that time machine working, give me a shout!

"Some people want to fill the world with silly love songs"..........

Has to be the "catchiest" song of all time.......

This is concert (thread) is getting better..........

"Go now"..........:)

And let's not forget the greatest duet of all time "The Girl Is Mine".

Alright that wasn't great.

ALRIGHT i admit it, i do like it.

But i'm not happy about it.

Who's singing the lead there?....Is it one of Wings or a Special Guest?.........

What a voice!

Who's singing the lead there?....Is it one of Wings or a Special Guest?.........

What a voice!

Denny Laine, i think.

A nice rendition

Edit: He sang the original for the Moody Blues too

And let's not forget the greatest duet of all time "The Girl Is Mine".

Alright that wasn't great.

ALRIGHT i admit it, i do like it.

But i'm not happy about it.

Ah, I liked that too.........Poor Mickey Jackson.....He bought Paul's songs so he had good taste too........

• Advertisement

Ah, I liked that too.........Poor Mickey Jackson.....He bought Paul's songs so he had good taste too........

off topic, but - nice documentary here about when Michael Jackson spent months in Ireland with his kids

Well worth a listen

In 2006 Westmeath taxi driver Ray O'Hara found himself with a VIP in the back of his cab, and a fare that would last 6 months with the King of Pop.

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/doconone/documentary-podcast-michael-jackson-irish-driver.html

Denny Laine?

Sounds like a tribute act.

I remember a Lenny Pane a few years back.

Ah, Let Em In is just magic. So simple, but lovely.

I remember buying the magazine that had the words of the songs for this alone!...

That's the lad there with the hat playing the drums......

You could listen to this concert forever!!........

Here's the Paul McCartney setlist from the RDS in 2010

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/paul-mccartney/2010/rds-arena-dublin-ireland-bd42516.html

37 of the best songs ever.

I hope he comes back soon, If he does I'll be there.

No chance i'd miss it.

Sing the changes is magic.

Isn't is gas to think they were so keen to see the interview on the telly - it was a big deal to see yourself on the box in those heady days..........

And nowadays...........Well.......:(

I'm kinda of glad the greats didn't have that type of media coverage.

Bands nowadays won't have a "raw footage" clips, all they will have is "formatted rubbish".

Yeah, different time. I won't start ranting about the state of things now, i'd be here for hours.

Did you notice the bubbles being blown out over the stage a while ago? :-D

• Advertisement

Cher looking human!...............:)

Elton John in the front row there.

A man of good taste, evidently.

Not forgetting Mickey from the Monkees..............lol!

Good man Ringo - 8 out of 10 :D

Screamer in the front row..........:)

Ah, the good old Marshall Speakers..........guaranteed to leave you deaf with ringing in the ears for the next few days!.......

Ah, Ringo. The joker in the pack. He tells a funny story on the anthology video of the scene in one of the movies (Hard Days Night, I think) where he's moping around looking lovesick or something while a song (If I Fell, i think) is playing. He says he got complimented on his acting, but in reality he was just totally hung over and was just stumbling about trying not to get sick.

Great fella, Ringo. Went to see him and The All Starr Band in the point years ago. Rubbish and amazing at the same time. Still have the ticket.

• Advertisement

That was terrific,

It has been an honour and a privilege, folks. Hope to see you here again soon << Salutes >>

Ah, back to Please Please Me.

Lads, it's been great. Defo a good future for this thread.

Party on.

alright, one last encore from me :o

I have to agree with John Lennon's Aunt Mimi - Love me do is one of my least favourite Beatles songs
    Upon first hearing an acetate of ‘Love Me Do’, John Lennon’s aunt Mimi supposedly informed her nephew: “If you think you’re going to make your fortune with that, you’ve got another think coming”. However, upon hearing an acetate of ‘Please Please Me’ some time later Mimi told Lennon: “That’s more like it, that should do well”.

http://blogcritics.org/please-please-me-turns-50/

Coming your way on fabulous BBC4 ...

BBC4 Thursday 21 Nov 7.30pm - Top of The Pops
    Tony Blackburn presents an edition from December 14, 1978, with performances by Rocky Sharpe & the Replays, Hot Chocolate, Buzzcocks, Elkie Brooks, Mankind, Chic, Elton John and Boney M. Plus, dance sequences by Legs & Co

BBC4 Friday 22 Nov 9pm - John Denver: Country Boy
    Documentary exploring the private life and public legacy of singer-songwriter John Denver, America's original `country boy', who died in 1997. The programme features the accounts of those closest to him, revealing the man behind the music in an intimate profile to mark the year in which he would have turned 70

BBC4 Friday 22 Nov 10pm -Country at the BBC
    A compilation of BBC session performances by country artists from the past four decades, including Tammy Wynette, Emmylou Harris, Johnny Cash, Dolly Parton, Charley Pride, Kris Kristofferson, Garth Brooks, Willie Nelson, Alison Krauss, Taylor Swift, kd lang and Billie Jo Spears

BBC4 Friday 22 Nov 11pm - John Denver at Wembley Arena
    A classic performance by the US musician at London's Wembley Arena in 1979, as part of a selection of programmes to mark the 70th year since the birth of the quintessential `country boy'

BBC4 Friday 22 Nov 11.40pm - Sounds of the Seventies 2 - Guilty Pleasures - Love will Keep us Together
    Celebrating some of the decade's most recognisable classics, including performances by the Carpenters, Bread, Charles Aznavour, 10cc, John Denver, Bellamy Brothers, Exile, Captain & Tennille and Dr Hook

BBC4 Friday 22 Nov 12.10 am (early Saturday am) - Glen Campbell: The Rhinestone Cowboy
    An insight into the life of country music star Glen Campbell, documenting his remarkable journey from an impoverished childhood to worldwide fame and success as a guitarist and singer with records including Wichita Lineman and Rhinestone Cowboy. Featuring contributions by family, friends and colleagues including Jimmy Webb, Micky Dolenz and Bob Harris

BBC4 Saturday 23 Nov 11pm - Kings of 70s Romance
    Celebration of 1970s singers such as Barry White, Leo Sayer and Gilbert O'Sullivan, whose lyrics conjured up images of candlelit dinners and red roses for the more mature woman. While teenage girls were screaming for Donny Osmond and David Cassidy, these alternative heart-throbs enabled millions of female fans to escape the drudgery of everyday life.

BBC4 Saturday 23 Nov 12.40 am (early Sunday am) - Anyone for Demis: How the World Invaded the Charts
    Documentary charting Britain's love-hate relationship with foreign pop music, from Hawaiian hits during the Second World War to the emergence of internationally successful acts such as Ladysmith Black Mambazo. The programme explores how the package holiday boom of the 1960s led to success for singers including Demis Roussos, Sylvia and Nana Mouskouri, examines the rise and fall of Belgium's Singing Nun, and asks whether the globalisation of chart music has put an end to the days of the foreign pop phenomenon.

A mixed bag of country, crooners and seventies tune-rs there.

That Glen Campbell doc sparked a bit of chat around here the last time it was show, it went down well. I think the John Denver programme is new.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement